TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Howdy all.

I just discovered this forum, so I figured I'd post where I am in my current research.

I already have a i7-6700k I got a great deal on, as well as a Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe SSD on the way.

I'd like to build a small system that looks more like a console or piece of A/V equipment. Being powerful is the top concern with near-silence being a very close second. This system will be a do everything box, from gaming and media creation, to VR and derping on the internets. I'm currently looking at going with a single high-end GPU (such as a Geforce 1080 or 1070), and would prefer to have a 3.5" HDD for storage (though a Samsung Spinpoint 2TB 2.5" would be my fallback storage option). I've yet to encounter a super slim / tiny ITX (or possibly microATX) solution with support for 2-way SLI, but would be interested in that if it existed. I'd like to keep costs down if possible / not go too nuts on anything if possible.

I'm fairly set on the Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard due to the M.2 support, KillerNIC, good audio, DVI port, bluetooth 4.2, and a USB 3.1 C port. I'm a bit disappointed by it's mere 5 phase power and rather wimpy heatsinks though. My current #2 is the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac. M.2 support, 8 phase power, good heatsinks, overall best looking to me of the three, USB 3.1 C port, good audio, but only has three auto jacks on the back (though mic input support via a front panel connector). #3 is the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming due to it's m.2 support, 10 phase power, nice heatsinks, good audio, and my familiarity with Asus products, but wish it had a USB C and a more current bluetooth connection. Any additional feedback on my motherboard selection is welcomed.

This evening has mostly been looking into case and PSU options.

If it had support for a 3.5" drive as well as a full size GPU, the Silverstone MLO8B or RVZ02B would be the bang for the buck winner. The RVZ01 has a pretty good internal layout, but I don't like the aesthetics of the case. I already ruled out the Fractal Node 202 due to poor reviews from SCPR, the Lian-Li PC-05 was considered for a bit but feels too darn large (and expensive) to meet my "small system" goal. I was recently reading up on the HDPLEX H5 and wondering if it could run cool enough for my use / could fit the full sized GPU and a 3.5" drive. I'm still open to suggestions for the best small case to go for at this point. I'd LIKE to keep the cost under $100 if possible, but $300 would probably be my ceiling for the enclosure.

As for the PSU, I'm currently leaning towards either the Silverstone 700 watt Platinum Plus SFX-L PSU that's hitting stores in the next two weeks, or getting Lian-Li's branded version of a similiar 700 watt platinum SFX-L drive. Not for output as much as for running it cool / quiet. If SLX units are too loud in general / can't hang with decent ATX PSUs (a SPCR review made me a tad nervous about Silverstone's 500 watt SFX-L PSU) in terms of acoustics, any opinions on that would be welcome as well.

Lastly, pretty sure I want air cooling due to acoustic properties. Many cases (especially the silverstone branded ones) seem to require rather low profile coolers, so if anyone has any particular luck with 60mm or shorter fans, I'd be awfully to hear your take on what's the most quiet and effective fan. I was probably going to go with some rather dull looking Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (probably 2 x 16 GB).

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I'm going to poke around the forum / reviews some more :)

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome!

I'm a bit disappointed by it's mere 5 phase power and rather wimpy heatsinks though.

Not sure about the heatsinks but VRM phase count for Skylake is much less important than previous generations, 5 is plenty.

Not for output as much as for running it cool / quiet. If SLX units are too loud in general / can't hang with decent ATX PSUs (a SPCR review made me a tad nervous about Silverstone's 500 watt SFX-L PSU) in terms of acoustics, any opinions on that would be welcome as well.

The SilverStone SX700-LPT and Lian Li PE-750 are both much better in the noise department than previous SFX/SFX-L units but they still don't compare to top-end ATX units due to the higher power density and slim fans.

Reactions: Obelisk and Phuncz

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016

Not sure about the heatsinks but VRM phase count for Skylake is much less important than previous generations, 5 is plenty.

Well, that makes me feel a bit better in my current decision.

The SilverStone SX700-LPT and Lian Li PE-750 are both much better in the noise department than previous SFX/SFX-L units but they still don't compare to top-end ATX units due to the higher power density and slim fans.

I run the pretty much inaudible Seasonic Platinum 900 watt in my giant main rig, so I'm a little nervous about trying a SLX unit out for the first time. I was leaning towards the SLX-L models due to the larger diameter fans (albeit low profile / pushing less air than "normal" height) and platinum plus certification in hopes that they live up to a higher quality / lower noise standard that I've seen in better ATX PSUs (compared to lower quality PSUs). I'd be willing to go with an ATX PSU if I could find a case SMALL enough to fit it, a 3.5" HDD and a high-end GPU, but it's been one hell of a challenge to find those requirements in something with even a SLX PSU. I really don't want to go much bigger than the Raven RVZ01 if I can help it, but it's been hard to track one down that meets those points.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome !

If you combine the following:
- Core i7-6700K CPU
- GTX 1080 GPU
- 700W SFX-L PSU
- 3,5" HDD

You will probably not have a problem with the noise the PSU makes, because of the power draw. According to Aiboh's review on the SX700-LPT, with one 165W GPU and 140W CPU, both fully loaded, the PSU's fan was turning at 620rpm which is quite low considering the component's fans will be spinning much faster (and louder). Your build would consume a little less power so it could be a little more quiet even.

Unless you are going to overclock by adding >10% voltage, you shouldn't even begin to worry about board heatsinks or VRMs. Most of the "OC" boards are meant to be stable for high overclocks most air coolers wouldn't be able to cope with anyway. Overclocking and quiet in an SFF is usually the one or the other, not both. Unless you want to sacrifice size so you can install much larger coolers.

The Node 202 to me still seems like a good choice, but the problem with the SPCR review is that they choose an open-air cooler GPU, which dumps the heat inside the case. They also used a much too small CPU cooler:

I believe the Node 202 can be a good performer if either a blower-style GPU cooler is used (Founder's Edition GTX 1080) or a custom-cooler GPU card that uses 120mm cases fans configured as exhaust, along with a beefier CPU cooler like the Cryorig C7 (a little better). Or else you're looking at the Silverstone ML07 which supports taller CPU coolers, more adequate for the i7-6700K you are going to use.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I have the same case. (Node 202) I swapped out my 6700k for a 6700 for lower tdp and heat. The Noctua CPU cooler works meh...but if you swap the fan with the 25mm Noctua offers..and add the ULNA to it...you will get something that is more quiet AND with more airflow.

I actually prefer the open air coolers over a typical blower because they offer a 0db mode. Yes it dumps some heat out...but I prioritize noise above all.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
As I received, tested and approved my Corsair SF600, I will recommend it completely..it's an awesome power supply, keeping SFX form factor.

SFX-L is less interessant vs ATX power supply that are 14cm in deep.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Surf some of the custom projects on this site. Many of the designers are looking to go to production for their teeny projects, although the earliest some of these (Cerberus, A4) will see delivery after production will be some months yet.

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Having had such good luck with non-blower style GPUs (I've found the Gigabyte Windforce (or was it Windstream?) series cards to have great acoustics, even if at load) I continue to find myself repeatedly going back to the Raven RVZ02B with a 700 watt platinum SFX-L, and just going with one of the "budget" 1 TB SSDs for $200 for overflow storage. I'm cautiously optimistic something similar to the windforce will come out for the 1080 and I can just have it dump air out the of the side grill.

That still leaves the big question of what CPU cooler will have the best acoustic properties without sacrificing too much cooling performance. Unless, of course, you guys have heard there's not a good option for such a limited profile (58mm listed, 61mm according to SPCR). I was looking at the unfamiliar brand "Reeven" in particular since the numbers on the Scythe Big Rev. B looked a bit underwhelming (though that's one some folks on HardOCP were suggesting.)

Does the Node 202 support SFX-L PSUs? I've not seen anything in their documentation to indicate it does. Also didn't see anything about 3.5" support either... and it's twice the cost to a house a system that's ended up being a bit more than I was originally intending to spend :p

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
58/61 mm for cpu cooler, it's too easy for sff...we are so used to have only 45mm or less...:)

I'll recommend you :
  • Id cooling id vc 45, very good cpu cooler based on vapor chamber (height 45mm). It can handle core i7 6700k with no much trouble (see my post on my s4 mini). Easy integration on mini itx board. Max tdp : 130w
  • Cryorig c7 : height 47mm. Easy integration, same performance range as noctua 65mm height. Max tdp 100w
  • Silverstonetek ar-06, it was made to suit all rvz 01 or 02 (58mm height..:)) Easy integration, ok performance. Max tdp 95w
In fact, I recommend aircooler with easy integration on motherboards, that are giving no constraint on ram to use, layout of mb, etc...

The funniest thing in my recommendation is that the shortest cpu cooler has the biggest tdp claim...however I'll recommend simply the tallest you can take, in order to get fresh air from outside with the minimum interference of hot air exhausted by cpu cooler.
Thus ar-06 seems to be the best choice inside the rvz case...:)

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I agree with MarcParis to get the tallest cooler you can to draw direct fresh air.

I've built a few computers based around the RVZ02B, it's a nice case and has the potential to be quiet if you choose the right components.

The AR-06 is the exact right height with only a few mm to spare in this case. It runs virtually silent with 65W processors.

The only negative to RVZ02B is that it doesn't have any case fans and so it relies on component fans to draw the cool air in. So it's important to choose a GPU with a good cooler as the GPU chamber does get very hot when gaming.

Case orientation makes a big difference with this case aswell, when horizontal the GPU chamber gets hotter than when the case is stood vertically.

Also with regards to power supplies, the Silverstone SX500 does not run passive and gets the annoying clicking sound whilst idle. I've used a Corsair SF450 in this case and it fairs much better with the fan staying off.

The RVZ01B runs cooler but is slightly larger.

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
58/61 mm for cpu cooler, it's too easy for sff...we are so used to have only 45mm or less...

Hah. That makes sense :p

I'd read that the vertical orientation for the RV02B is much much cooler for general operation / was thinking that's what I'd end up doing for the most part.

Won't the Cryorig's lower diameter fan create unpleasant noise if/when it has to spin up? I was looking at the Reeven brand / large diameter fans based on the observation that larger diameter = lower speeds needed to move more air = quiet.. though I've never tried a Reeven. I even considered the HDPlex due to my fondness for quiet... but get the impression it might not have mounts for one of the new platinum SFX-L PSUs and looks a bit large in the pics I've seen. (It did remind me just a tad of my old passively cooled Athlon 64x2 systems with passively cooled 2-way SLI 7950 GT cards... that was a ton of metal).

With the 6700k being 91 TDP, I'm wondering if I should avoid the Silverstone?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
With the 6700k being 91 TDP, I'm wondering if I should avoid the Silverstone?

The AR-06 can handle the 6700k very well, it just won't run as quiet when being stressed especially once the RVZ02B case warms up.

There is also the Thermalright AXP-100 Muscle, which has a height of 58mm with a 100mm fan and good reviews to back it up. I've got one here but not tested it yet. You may need to use low profile ram though depending on RAM slot positions.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Just the first page, at the end of my first message, it's where you can find my research on core i7 6700K+ id-VC45 with or withotu undervolting..:)