Update on new SFF (Problems! Oh noes!)

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
-stupid iPhone sliced my reply... Updated to include the point of the message.-

I have my first SFF build together in over a decade and I'm trying to troubleshoot a major issue.

The parts:

-Intel i7-4600k
-Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B
-GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 DDR4 16GB x 2
-Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD
-ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
-SilverStone 700 watt Platinum certified SFX-L PSU
-SilverStone Raven RVZ02B

The issue:

Power cycling. When putting a load on the system while the enclosure was on, it will randomly shut off (no BSOD, no heat warnings, nothing) and restart every few seconds to few minutes until being turned off for a bit.

The weird part is that temps are all quite dull. UEFI reports CPU and system temps around 45C. The GPU never surpasses 70C. The CPU heat sink is relatively cool to the touch.

My current leading theory is a defective PSU. On initial install, it appeared DOA. No CPU fan spin, I've never seen the PSU fan spin up (it's designed to stay idle at low temps / utilization according to documentation.), and only after a complete removal and reinstall did it come to life.

The restart issue first presented itself with the placeholder GIGABYTE GeForce 550Ti during initial load testing before installing the 1070. It occurs with the 1070 as well.

The top of the case is warm to the touch when the issue occurs. Testing this evening triggered the restarts only when the case was put on.

My alternative theory is a pocket of high temps on the motherboard not being picked up by the sparse (and generally crappy) mobo sensors, though I've not felt anything to justify this.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Power cycling. When putting a lo

When putting a load on the system? Missing the important bit of your post there :p

Assuming that's what you were going to say, you may try running the system with the panel off and/or have an external fan blowing at the PSU intake.

@VirtualVoid ran into a problem with the SX700-LPT in the ML08 where the overtemp protection would kick in before the PSU fan turned on at medium loads: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...0w-sfx-l-platinum-rated.670/page-3#post-14184

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
thanks for pointing out the posting error and the link to a similar problem... I wonder if it's a defective unit or just a defective design?

Many folks running the SX700 without it having restart issues in the ML08 or RV02 cases? I read one min-review on the PSU, but they didn't list testing methodology or duration of the run. Does the similar Lian-Li have the same problem?