Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Added a free new accessory, the halo switch button.

CuMiCo

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2020
I just happen to see this case on a suggested youtube video. I took some time to find out the name and finally I found everything. Looking forward to my order a MQ5 :)
I hope this case gets the attention it deserves in the SFF community!

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I just happen to see this case on a suggested youtube video. I took some time to find out the name and finally I found everything. Looking forward to my order a MQ5 :)
I hope this case gets the attention it deserves in the SFF community!

Yea this case looks dope. Monoblock aluminum and magnetic side panels make it top notch for me. Only thing that I'm more interested into M1 Macs for now.

Houdini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 15, 2019
Z13 looking nice! But will Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO fit? total thickness with default fans is 63mm (38 rad+ 25 fan)? Website says only 60mm but really not those 3mm more?
Thanks

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Z13 looking nice! But will Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO fit? total thickness with default fans is 63mm (38 rad+ 25 fan)? Website says only 60mm but really not those 3mm more?
Thanks
Squeeze a squeeze is able to fit, the water-cooled pipe will bend more.

Reactions: Houdini

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
I pre-ordered the MQ6, but I keep thinking about how I don't really need the extra cpu cooler space...but I need the extra gpu space. So I've been thinking a lot about the mq5.

Here's a thought, I think you could use double side tape to fasten the hdplex 400w ac-dc to the front where the flex atx would go. The measurements seen to indicate it will fit perfectly and open up the full GPU space. Then, all we need is dc-atx plugin that supports at least 300w that can power a 3060ti and 65w tdp cpu (something like q-unique or jhack's). I'm already undervolting my 3060ti to around 150w with basically no performance loss.

End game for me might be 5600x with alpenfohn cpu cooler with 120mm fan (low profile memory), hdplex 400w ac-dc and 300w plugin dc-atx and EVGA 3060ti xc

EDIT: Unfortunately, looks like the power switch will conflict with ac/dc unit

Last edited:

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I pre-ordered the MQ6, but I keep thinking about how I don't really need the extra cpu cooler space...but I need the extra gpu space. So I've been thinking a lot about the mq5.

Here's a thought, I think you could use double side tape to fasten the hdplex 400w ac-dc to the front where the flex atx would go. The measurements seen to indicate it will fit perfectly and open up the full GPU space. Then, all we need is dc-atx plugin that supports at least 300w that can power a 3060ti and 65w tdp cpu (something like q-unique or jhack's). I'm already undervolting my 3060ti to around 150w with basically no performance loss.

End game for me might be 5600x with alpenfohn cpu cooler with 120mm fan (low profile memory), hdplex 400w ac-dc and 300w plugin dc-atx and EVGA 3060ti xc
If there is enough space, this program of yours is feasible.

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020

EDIT: Unfortunately, looks like the power switch will conflict with ac/dc unit
Also, you would need the hdplex dc-dc in there as well. The pico-style stuff from g-unique and J-hack are all meant for 12v i believe, hd-plex 400 ac-dc puts out 19v

etal

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2017
The J-hack 300 also supports 19v, lets see when it actually becomes available

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Things of note in the video:

The fan turbulence on that GPU model is bad.

Fitting a moded ENP-7660B with modular cables will be a very tight fit.

The finish on the case looked very consistent on the Silver model.

The part on thermals was confusing, as it jumped around a lot. It didn't look great, but I don't speak Chinese at all. It reinforces my choice with the MQ6, but better context/translation would be a big help.

I really want my hands on this case!

Mojo_Jojo

Cable Smoosher
Apr 9, 2021
Things of note in the video:

The fan turbulence on that GPU model is bad.

Fitting a moded ENP-7660B with modular cables will be a very tight fit.

The finish on the case looked very consistent on the Silver model.

The part on thermals was confusing, as it jumped around a lot. It didn't look great, but I don't speak Chinese at all. It reinforces my choice with the MQ6, but better context/translation would be a big help.

I really want my hands on this case!
Cooj made made a comment under the video that (some of) these issues will not be present in the production unit. Since I only have Google translate I'm not sure to what point(s) he was referring. Since it's a v1 I guess it's kinda expected to have some (minor) issues...
Really looking forward to see the case in your hands tho :)

Reactions: scatterforce

dkking

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 4, 2021
hey, I confused by the different options to buy on Tabao via Superbuy, i see a Crowdfund option vs color options. Is it the first batch had some issues that is fixed and the first batch is discounted?