So many choices, and not sure where to look

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all!

I'm currently new here, but I've built computers for the past 10+ years (not really counting). And I've always wanted a very tiny powerful PC without compromising on an LED light show. Can you guys please recommend me cases or designers on these forums for who to watch out for? I'm am currently contemplating on purchasing a custom mod case.

I'm going to take my time with this one and try to go through a lot of threads to see what's available, but it would definitely lower my searching cost, if someone pointed me in at least 1 direction. Been looking for 3 days after I get off work.

I'm not looking for anything too specific. It has to be an ITX case (micro case can be ok too), supports at least a 1080 card, a front usb port (preferred but not needed), white colored, and needs at least 1 transparent side (2 transparent sides preferred, but I have not seen one here yet).

Thanks for reading!

Edit:
Going to start listing in here. Maybe other people might find this useful (future and present).
Cerberus (an optional handle that compliments portability is a nice touch).
Dan C4-SFX (only con is no one knows when you'll be able to buy this, been almost a year since the design was produced)

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hi all!

I'm currently new here, but I've built computers for the past 10+ years (not really counting). And I've always wanted a very tiny powerful PC without compromising on an LED light show. Can you guys please recommend me cases or designers on these forums for who to watch out for? I'm am currently contemplating on purchasing a custom mod case.

I'm going to take my time with this one and try to go through a lot of threads to see what's available, but it would definitely lower my searching cost, if someone pointed me in at least 1 direction. Been looking for 3 days after I get off work.

I'm not looking for anything too specific. It has to be an ITX case (micro case can be ok too), supports at least a 1080 card, a front usb port (preferred but not needed), white colored, and needs at least 1 transparent side (2 transparent sides preferred, but I have not seen one here yet).

Thanks for reading!

Edit:
Going to start listing in here. Maybe other people might find this useful (future and present).
Cerberus (an optional handle that compliments portability is a nice touch).
Dan C4-SFX (only con is no one knows when you'll be able to buy this, been almost a year since the design was produced)
Maybe Raijintek Metis?

Reactions: element72

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Curiosity, do you already have any parts you’d like to use or is this a completely fresh build? Also do you plan to use any 2.5 or 3.5 drives?

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Curiosity, do you already have any parts you’d like to use or is this a completely fresh build? Also do you plan to use any 2.5 or 3.5 drives?

It's going to be completely fresh. I'm starting with the case and power supply. Feel free to give me tips on power supply. i'm currently learning as I go. Last night I was reading on dynamo combo setup. I might go that route, but I am not sure what it looks like to daisy chain multiple dc-dc, and how it works. Or what multiple use of ac-dc units look like it. I never heard these methods. I want to use 2.5 drives or m.2. If i ever wanted to store a bunch of files that require terabytes I would just buy a large capacity ext drive from WD.

I'm thinking of making a video of building it, since this is already taking me awhile to figure out what I want and need. I'll also give credit where it's due, if people recommend me stuff that I plan to use.

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
After searching every night for the past 6 days, I've decided on one of the slim models from custom mod. I've read arguments about gtx 1080/1080ti minis not having an idle fan feature, so they're always on or making noise. Not sure how much of an issue the sound will be. I definitely don't want loud fan noises while watching a movie, so I'm looking for cases that support MSI aero 1070 itx.

The M1 Slim 3.7L seems like a good one. You can show off your case on display with more surface area on the window panel. I'm probably going to dust this case out once a month, so it would be easier to dust out the case since most of the components is exposed on one side. I believe you can have it flat or standing up, so potentially 2 options for stationary orientation. Seems like it would be easy to hold under one arm while transporting the PC. And because of the slim design, it could allow more space on your desk, if you decide to put it in a standing position.

These are the reasons for picking this case, off the top of my head. Feel free to give me counter-arguments or tips for not choosing this case. The case is obviously not available yet, but I believe it's going to be available soon.

Edit:
The M2 Slim 7.5L might be a better future-proof option, since you can upgrade newer gfx cards without having to worry whether a company is going to make an itx/mini version. You can use full size cards in it.

Last edited:

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
I would recommend the Rajintek Ophion, or the Ophion Evo if you want water cooling.

It seems to meet your requirements. But, is on the bigger side at 17L and 20L for the Evo. But, when it comes to really small form factors. Ventilation is VERY important. And the smaller you go, the more risky using glass sides become. As they cut off air flow. Something which is also a luxury for SFF cases is filtering. Which I feel the Ophion shines in this department with its included magnetically attached filter up top.

Rajintek Ophion
https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=90
Rajintek Ophion Evo
https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=89

If RGB is important to you than I can think of no better case as a display.
They have glass on both side allowing full view of the internals. They have a premium look to them without the ridiculous price tags. $119 for the Ophion and $129 for the Evo.

And here's a good video comparing them to the NCase M1 and Dan A4 Case.

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
I would recommend the Rajintek Ophion, or the Ophion Evo if you want water cooling.

It seems to meet your requirements. But, is on the bigger side at 17L and 20L for the Evo. But, when it comes to really small form factors. Ventilation is VERY important. And the smaller you go, the more risky using glass sides become. As they cut off air flow. Something which is also a luxury for SFF cases is filtering. Which I feel the Ophion shines in this department with its included magnetically attached filter up top.

Water cooling is something I've heavily thought about, and obviously I would be willing to compromise with a bigger case. I would probably go with the NZXT AIO. Thank you for providing details and links on everything you mentioned! The custom mod cases I were referring to have ventilation holes in the window panels. Do you still think that might cause heating issues with the case? I was thinking that if I wanted to ventilate heat better, I could just lie the case on it's flat side, and since hot air rises, out goes the heat from the case - just a couple mm away.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Water cooling is something I've heavily thought about, and obviously I would be willing to compromise with a bigger case. I would probably go with the NZXT AIO. Thank you for providing details and links on everything you mentioned! The custom mod cases I were referring to have ventilation holes in the window panels. Do you still think that might cause heating issues with the case? I was thinking that if I wanted to ventilate heat better, I could just lie the case on it's flat side, and since hot air rises, out goes the heat from the case - just a couple mm away.

You wouldn't want to lay the Custom mod flat. As nothing on it is filtered and dust will just drop right into the case. Plus, with small cases like that. You are 100% dependent on the CPU and GPU cooling fans to provide all the airflow through-out the case. (And normally you would want a blower style GPU for these cases for it to blow the hot air out the back rather than though-out the case. Meaning you will be down to the one CPU fan to provide airflow for the entire case.)

What makes the Ophion such a nice case imo. Is that both models offer three mounting points for fans (Not including the CPU and GPU fans). Which you could set-up as ether intake or exhaust.

So,
+ Top and Bottom filtering
+ 3 fan mount locations
+ ATX PSU compatible
+ Full size GPU compatible
+ Front Type-C IO

Granted its still a glass case so temps are not outstanding. But, I am willing to bet it still provides better cooling than many of the other SFF cases on the market.

I am just unaware of any other case that could provide similar features with a smaller internal Volume.

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
You wouldn't want to lay the Custom mod flat. As nothing on it is filtered and dust will just drop right into the case. Plus, with small cases like that. You are 100% dependent on the CPU and GPU cooling fans to provide all the airflow through-out the case. (And normally you would want a blower style GPU for these cases for it to blow the hot air out the back rather than though-out the case. Meaning you will be down to the one CPU fan to provide airflow for the entire case.)

What makes the Ophion such a nice case imo. Is that both models offer three mounting points for fans (Not including the CPU and GPU fans). Which you could set-up as ether intake or exhaust.

So,
+ Top and Bottom filtering
+ 3 fan mount locations
+ ATX PSU compatible
+ Full size GPU compatible
+ Front Type-C IO

Granted its still a glass case so temps are not outstanding. But, I am willing to bet it still provides better cooling than many of the other SFF cases on the market.

I am just unaware of any other case that could provide similar features with a smaller internal Volume.

Thank you for enlightening me on this subject. Now i'm more aware of what to expect, and I will do more research for a little while longer. I will try to find a white chassis as well, since that's kind of the theme in my room right now.

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Since you've expressed interest in the Cerberus handle and the back to back layout, @KSliger 's SM550 might be of some interest to you as it will use the same handle and will come in white. I don't remember any discussion about a transparent side for this in the works but I could have missed it/forgotten.

Reactions: KSliger

element72

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Since you've expressed interest in the Cerberus handle and the back to back layout, @KSliger 's SM550 might be of some interest to you as it will use the same handle and will come in white. I don't remember any discussion about a transparent side for this in the works but I could have missed it/forgotten.

I really like the recommendation. You can fit a blower type gfx card, in that small dimension, which was highly recommend to me in this thread by @LeDelmo . However, my only concern now is the potential heating caused by the supported psu. It appears the exhaust part of the PSU is in the case.