I want to design a case. Not sure how to start.

Ephixi4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Hey all,

First of all, I've read through some guides here.

The problem is I'm not sure how the designing process should look like.

I've made some sketches on paper of how I want my case to look like and how I want to fit the components.
Now I'd like to transfer them to a digital medium.

Which software would be the best for this task? 2D planning etc.
Since I'm a student I have access to AutoCAD and other AutoDesk software, Onshape and SketchUp of course.

Then I'd like to start playing with the 3D model. I know SketchUp is not the best when it comes to later production etc.
Since I'm a newbie when it comes to 3D designing I'd probably need to learn a bit and I don't want to waste time on a software that is not best suited for this task. I wanna ask for some advice if I should try making the 3D model in Onshape, AutoCAD or some other program, having in mind that I want it to be prepared for any possible production later.

Thanks in advance guys.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hey all,

First of all, I've read through some guides here.

The problem is I'm not sure how the designing process should look like.

I've made some sketches on paper of how I want my case to look like and how I want to fit the components.
Now I'd like to transfer them to a digital medium.

Which software would be the best for this task? 2D planning etc.
Since I'm a student I have access to AutoCAD and other AutoDesk software, Onshape and SketchUp of course.

Then I'd like to start playing with the 3D model. I know SketchUp is not the best when it comes to later production etc.
Since I'm a newbie when it comes to 3D designing I'd probably need to learn a bit and I don't want to waste time on a software that is not best suited for this task. I wanna ask for some advice if I should try making the 3D model in Onshape, AutoCAD or some other program, having in mind that I want it to be prepared for any possible production later.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hello, welcome to the Forum!
If you dont know where to start, I recommend giving a look on this Thread, lots of useful information there: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/useful-references-for-case-design.2721/

About the software, I think you might be fine with Autocad and Sketchup for the early sketches. But if you want to take your project forward, you might wanna learn Solidworks or something similar in the future.
I've been through the same problem last year, but luckly could go pass the idea phase already. Learning proccess is a bit hard at first, so take your time if you believe your project.
There are lots of more experienced people here on forum, so maybe they can give you better tips than me.
If you wanna follow the progress on our recent case, make sure to check my thread: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/z-case-p50-premium-console-sized-pc-case-7-9l.6643/

Have a good day, cheers!

Reactions: Ephixi4