Not sure what I'm doing anymore

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
Ill keep that in mind then, thanks.

At first I didn't think there was a memory leak, but maybe there is. Was closing old tabs and memory usage didn't seem to move (if anything it went up a few megs from loading the tabs to check the contents), but after it crashed and restarted I'm at 6GB.
Must research this further.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you sort processes by memory in Windows Task Manager, you'll find the culprit pretty quickly.

Also, Chrome is a memory monster, so if that's the browser you're using, that's probably the problem. Close old tabs out, quit Chrome, restart your system, re-launch Chrome, and see if it's improved.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
I use process explorer actually.
it can make things a bit annoying at times though, I'm not sure about other browsers, but Chrome and Opera (Opera runs on Chromium) both divide tabs into individual processes. It makes it harder to tell the memory usage of the program since the parent process and each child process individually show fairly low resource usage, and I haven't figured out a way to see the aggregate.
I already knew I had a memory hog, I just hadn't noticed a lack of releasing resources. Usually a memory leak causes memory usage to slowly creep up, but in this case I didn't see that, but memory usage also wasn't going down when it should have.

Anwyays any other glaring issues with this?
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GhostBirdofPrey/saved/#view=fChCmG

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Closing a tab doesn't free the memory it was using. I suspect that web browsers keep them in memory for fast "reopen closed tab" purpose. Only closing the browser itself will free the memory. I have no proof of that sadly, only experimenting and observing.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Closing a tab doesn't free the memory it was using. I suspect that web browsers keep them in memory for fast "reopen closed tab" purpose. Only closing the browser itself will free the memory. I have no proof of that sadly, only experimenting and observing.

That's dumb

Did the test:
  • Fresh opening (google): 140MB
  • Dozens of tabs simultanously: 500MB
  • Close everything but the google tab: 400MB
I'd like to see my Firefox process size after a week of use without closing it while having a single google page left opened.

Desktop apps tend to grab resources and only release them when absolutely necessary. It's a commonly held belief/phenomenon (probably unproven) that, all else being held equal, many applications will reserve more memory on systems that have higher quantities of RAM, simply because there's more available to them.

The good news is that the utilization is almost always illusory - the moment you need that memory, it will be released.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
True enough, though web browsers seem to be the worst offenders in that regard.

I actually switched to Opera from Chrome partially because it does a better job of parking tabs (without an extension) and it has the option not to load tabs until you actually swap to them (which means the excessive number of tabs I have any given day doesn't cause my computer to melt when I launch it)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Don't forget that the OS and apps will dynamically use memory, even though it's not needed or required. Games also exhibit this with 3GB, 4GB and 6GB GPU cards all showing different usage of their memory. Many GBs will just be used as a cache that can be cleared at a split-second for critical requirements. So measuring how many RAM you really need, isn't as clear-cut. 16GB today is still more than remotely needed for most non-production/creation use cases.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
Damn I forgot how fast Newegg ships things especially since I'm only 1 state over from a distribution hub.
That case that I should allow 5-7 days delivery says it will arrive tomorrow

Edit
So the cooler is out of stock, I need an alternative

Last edited:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
So the good news is, the cooler is back in stock. the bad news is, Newegg JUST sent me an email with discount codes for some things I just bought. Only $20, but grrrr

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Know that feeling. In saying that, sometimes the $20 is worth it for having the parts a day or two early (by getting in before the deals)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
True, and I had originally thought I'd get everything ready to build next week, but when I saw that the case was scheduled to arrive today (and is fact currently out for delivery) despite having ordered it yesterday morning, I figured I'd get everything and build it this week on my days off.

Next up, I want to figure out how to work these windows deployment tools. I want to try and precustomize settings I spend half an hour changing anyways, and supposedly, you can load applications into the install, and they will also be reinstalled when you use the recover windows thing (unless you delete the install package)
Sounds neat and useful, and I have no idea how to do it (yet)
Wish me luck.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
My new computer, Sierpinski, is now fully functional, minus some files still restoring from backup

\o/

edit: on a side note, since the case exterior is plastic, I planned on pitting in internal wireless antennas, but haven't got around to that. Also, it might be a good idea to do custom cables. it's a rats nest in that tight space. The procrastinator that I am, might wait for the GPU upgrade to to the latter, as I don't have the supplies at present.

Also, must look into laser etching, put Sierpinski carpet on side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and confusis

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
So, one of the fans on my old video card started to seize, so I decided that was my cue to upgrade since I've wanted to and I have that grinding fan noise.

I picked up a Radeon Nano from XFX since I kinda wanted one anyways. As tempting as those new Nvidia cards are, I can't quite get my hands on one yet, and I'm not even sure I would have power and thermal room for one. The radeon furies I looked at didn't seem to be that great and Fury X is problematic to install, so I grabbed the nano, and some new cabling (2 passive DP to DVI cords and an active).

So the good news is, it runs well, low enough noise (no coil whine I have noticed)
The bad news is I've encountered a certain issue twice, once while just browsing the internet the other a few matches in to Unreal Tournament 4. My monitors all go blank and tell me they aren't receiving a signal. It has to be some sort of crash, though, since I also lost (most of) the sound in the game. Google has failed me as to what the problem is, or what a fix might be.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The bad news is I've encountered a certain issue twice, once while just browsing the internet the other a few matches in to Unreal Tournament 4. My monitors all go blank and tell me they aren't receiving a signal. It has to be some sort of crash, though, since I also lost (most of) the sound in the game. Google has failed me as to what the problem is, or what a fix might be.
Look at this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/180166
For me it was multiple issues: an outdated Firefox extension causes my drivers to be unstable, along with Rainmeter in D2D mode. I also had some Windows system files that were corrupt. I'm going to be testing my RAM to make sure it's not the cause.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
It doesn't seem like a card reset. I had that problem with my old 7950 on one version of the driver, and generally the screen would just quickly blip before resetting.

Here, I never get the screen back, I have to restart.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If your screen goes to black, you could try bumping the VRAM's voltage or lowering it's speed a little to see if it helps. Some people have had problems with a certain type of memory.