Discussion Buy or not?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I’m having a bit of decision difficulty, I just found out that at one retailer they have the 5600X in stock for around $400.

I’m currently rocking an 3700X with an ASUS ROG X470-I GAMING motherboard.

Would you say or yourself actually buy the 5600X or just stick with my current setup?

I’m aware that the 5600X gets at max around 30 fps more, not sure off the top of my head if it’s it 1440p or 1080p, considering I’m an 1440p user.
But it’s also faster in Photoshop, now not sure how much benchmarks actually reflects in real world usage of the program - over my 3700X.

Is it worth buying it or sticking with what I have an wait untill next year with Zen 4 and AM5 etc?... This is of course if my 3700X doesn’t decide to die on me, then it’s a different story.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this, seeing as it’s very often easy to get those ”want it” thoughts, but is it worth it though?...

Thanks,
Dawelio

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
FPS gains depend on you resolution as well as your GPU. The higher the resolution, the more you are GPU bound. In your shoes, I'd stick it out with the 3700X. You're going to lose cores for an architectural approvement....and all around it is a wash.

I'm guessing AM5 isn't coming next year. In fact, I'd be surprised if AMD's TSMC lines catch up to demand by then. Ryzen 5000 laptops have been 'released' and are utter vaporware still, only reviewer units shipped out months back.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
FPS gains depend on you resolution as well as your GPU. The higher the resolution, the more you are GPU bound. In your shoes, I'd stick it out with the 3700X. You're going to lose cores for an architectural approvement....and all around it is a wash.

I'm guessing AM5 isn't coming next year. In fact, I'd be surprised if AMD's TSMC lines catch up to demand by then. Ryzen 5000 laptops have been 'released' and are utter vaporware still, only reviewer units shipped out months back.

Thanks for your fast reply and agreed. I have an Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce III, so I don’t really need a new GPU anytime soon. Not like you can buy one anyway 🤣

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
At 1440p resolution with an RTX 2080, you're not getting the FPS gains by upgrading that's worth the money. You're talking maybe 20% in FPS in CPU-bottlenecked games like CS:GO or R6 Siege.

I'd wait for their next gen personally. I'm still chugging along with a 2700X and a GTX 1080 on 3440x1440. There are very few games out now and will come out this year that need a lot of performance.

Reactions: Dawelio and Skripka

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have to agree with the consensus here. I have a 8700k that I have been using since release and I have been fighting the upgrade urge each time a new generation of CPU has released. When I looked at actual gains they were so minimal that I keep putting off an upgrade. I have given up on Intel at this point and will more than likely upgrade with the next Ryzen release. I think next generation will be worth the upgrade, hopefully AMD will continue to produce motherboards for multiple generations of CPUs.

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
1440p resolution with an RTX 2080, you're not getting the FPS gains by upgrading that's worth the money. You're talking maybe 20% in FPS in CPU-bottlenecked games like CS:GO or R6 Siege.

I'd wait for their next gen personally. I'm still chugging along with a 2700X and a GTX 1080 on 3440x1440. There are very few games out now and will come out this year that need a lot of performance.

Yeah, I figured as much. Such a small percentage for $400. Not worth it in the end and also seeing as you’re still rocking an generation older hardware than me, I see even less of a worthy upgrade.

Really? Does your 1080 still hold strong? Even at 3440x1440? How well does it serve you in games? Especially paired with that 2700X?

I have to agree with the consensus here. I have a 8700k that I have been using since release and I have been fighting the upgrade urge each time a new generation of CPU has released. When I looked at actual gains they were so minimal that I keep putting off an upgrade. I have given up on Intel at this point and will more than likely upgrade with the next Ryzen release. I think next generation will be worth the upgrade, hopefully AMD will continue to produce motherboards for multiple generations of CPUs.

Damn, you’re very loyal to your hardware. Yet, I’m pretty sure your current hardware is more than adequate for you. I doubt you experience any sort of performance issues with your PC? Depending on what GPU you ha

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Damn, you’re very loyal to your hardware. Yet, I’m pretty sure your current hardware is more than adequate for you. I doubt you experience any sort of performance issues with your PC? Depending on what GPU you have.
2080 Super. I would love a 3080 but we all know what that looks like.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
2080 Super. I would love a 3080 but we all know what that looks like.

Yeah, well I have an 2080 and it's serving me well. So I doubt you're having any issues with yours 😊 We all want things we can't get, isn't that right? 😄

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Yeah, well I have an 2080 and it's serving me well. So I doubt you're having any issues with yours 😊 We all want things we can't get, isn't that right? 😄
Hey I ran my Sandybridge rig until 2019. Some of those platforms had massive staying power for most use needs.

Reactions: Dawelio

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hey I ran my Sandybridge rig until 2019. Some of those platforms had massive staying power for most use needs.
Totally agree with this. I used to have a Devil's Canyon and upgrade to a Skylake, other than gaining a M.2 on the z170 wasn't worth the upgrade. If I had it to do again I would have skipped both Skylake and Kaby Lake and waited for Coffee Lake.

Reactions: Arboreal

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Really? Does your 1080 still hold strong? Even at 3440x1440? How well does it serve you in games? Especially paired with that 2700X?
With the games I've played the last few years, easily. It will chug with Cyberpunk 2077, no doubt about it. But that's the only game I wouldn't be able to run with High/Ultra settings. Mind you, I regularly disable anti-aliasing when it's not very apparent, which at that resolution is more often than not. This screen also has a max frequency of 75Hz and has FreeSync/GSync-compatible so it's not strictly needed to have max FPS all the time.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Totally agree with this. I used to have a Devil's Canyon and upgrade to a Skylake, other than gaining a M.2 on the z170 wasn't worth the upgrade. If I had it to do again I would have skipped both Skylake and Kaby Lake and waited for Coffee Lake.

Ah the 4790K was a legit legend for it's time!

With the games I've played the last few years, easily. It will chug with Cyberpunk 2077, no doubt about it. But that's the only game I wouldn't be able to run with High/Ultra settings. Mind you, I regularly disable anti-aliasing when it's not very apparent, which at that resolution is more often than not. This screen also has a max frequency of 75Hz and has FreeSync/GSync-compatible so it's not strictly needed to have max FPS all the time.

Interesting, seeing as I still have my old ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti STRIX GPU in the box, seeing as that was my first true high end GPU that I purchased myself, so it has a lot of sentimental value. Also if my 2080 would brick, I have that as my backup still. Good to hear that even an 1080 can go strong today, then my 1080 Ti won't be an issue either :)

Reactions: rfarmer

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
unless there is a major sale or you're just full of cash, I would not upgrade to 5000 series if you have a 3700x. And to go from 3700x to 5600x would mean you would go from 8 cores to 6 cores.

Why not wait for AM5? It's looking like early 2022. It will allow you to buy the new generation, and probably still keep that motherboard long enough for another upgrade after a few years on that motherboard.

Reactions: Phuncz and Dawelio

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
given how the supply situation since last year, waiting for the next thing is not guaranteed at all. if you can get current gen stuff at MSRP - and in the case of CPU, it's very possible now that AMD has stabilized its supply somewhat and Intel is lowering price to capture budget segments, just get whatever AM4 or Intel 10th/11th gen that you can at MSRP or less and be happy using it

Reactions: Phuncz