Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

Bosmos

Efficiency Noob
Apr 7, 2018
Long time lurker, first time poster!
Been watching this case for a while and I love it, been looking for something smaller and not exactly limited on what I can toss into it. My only real problem is the lack of front audio. I tend to use open back headsets and mic for chat, sometimes music... and 2.0 studio monitors for games and other audio. I like using both at once but having only access to the back audio jacks limits me. Is there a way around it?

Love the builds, wondering what the best cooling format is while running on air, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Wow nice work!

Well now that 1.0 is out and you keep posting these I’m going to reinstall.

I played a ton a couple of years and moved on. Time to give it another look.
Thanks and another replay is incoming..:D
Strangely I never played so well (recent WN8 1500 on last 100 battles), but my win rate is falling...RNG is mysterious..:D

Long time lurker, first time poster!
Been watching this case for a while and I love it, been looking for something smaller and not exactly limited on what I can toss into it. My only real problem is the lack of front audio. I tend to use open back headsets and mic for chat, sometimes music... and 2.0 studio monitors for games and other audio. I like using both at once but having only access to the back audio jacks limits me. Is there a way around it?

Love the builds, wondering what the best cooling format is while running on air, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
At first glance, you have several option to counter this lack of front header:
  • If you are using an hifi headset, i strongly advice to invest into a dedicated DAC (like I'm doing with my Asus Strix 7.1)
  • To use a keyboard with mic/speaker passthrough (like my good old Razer Lycosa)...however I don't remember any recent keyboard with that option anymore

Bosmos

Efficiency Noob
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks and another replay is incoming..:D
Strangely I never played so well (recent WN8 1500 on last 100 battles), but my win rate is falling...RNG is mysterious..:D

At first glance, you have several option to counter this lack of front header:
  • If you are using an hifi headset, i strongly advice to invest into a dedicated DAC (like I'm doing with my Asus Strix 7.1)
  • To use a keyboard with mic/speaker passthrough (like my good old Razer Lycosa)...however I don't remember any recent keyboard with that option anymore

I'd been looking at some DAC's I mostly use sennheiser 600HD and 580 Jubilees, doesn't solve my mic input though, maybe a good usb soundcard would work best, just not sure in the quality on them.. Thank you again.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'd been looking at some DAC's I mostly use sennheiser 600HD and 580 Jubilees, doesn't solve my mic input though, maybe a good usb soundcard would work best, just not sure in the quality on them.. Thank you again.
Well as a first dac choice i was thinking of this sennheiser gsx 1000
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-amplifier-gsx-1000

You have access to microphone and also pretty good virtual 7.1..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah was looking at that , 7.1 I'm not a fan of though, I'm more a fan of good focus on pure stereo, I think it's downplayed too much these days.
Well virtual 7.1 is just an option...globally this dac is pretty rock solid.
Please watch this review from Dimitri (Hardware Canucks)...he is using also sennheiser HD800 headphones :

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
As promised, here is another well played battle with WZ111 5A.
My tier X XP record is, again, broken up to 1689xp!

In this replay, wz111 5A is demonstrating its firepower...and, at least, I've better managed my amno..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Tada!!
Here is a new Mastery badge on my sweet AMX 30!
Top gun (7kills), 7k damage in total...and heart breaker at the end...I was pretty close to get my first Radley-Walters medal...but...
A pretty nice video, in 4K, 60fps!

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Andiamo!

Here is my first excellent replay with Progetto 46.
This is a magnificent defense on Mountain Pass.

Mamamia! This new auto reloading system is providing a very good polyvalence. Despite having pretty bad theorical dpm, it's providing effective dpm..;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 28th April 2018 : New Panels & Color scheme, Front USB 3.0!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Months without noticeable update...that's a feat for me!
While resisting to update my Ryzen R7 1700X with a Ryzen R7 2700X (maybe R7 2800X will have me..:)), I've received some gifts from @KSliger ! (thanks again!)

Thus I decided to honor them by assembling them today!

• First Update : Front USB3.0, instead of my pre production USB 2.0 (unused as my internal USB 2.0 port was used for Corsair Commander Mini)
As I feared, I cannot plug my USB 3.0 directly to my motherboard as my 240 Radiator/Fan located at the bottom will bump into it. Thus I used a slim USB 3.0 extension from moddiy.com that I was using on my Nano² setup.

PS : note that you have to detach front SFX psu in order to pass through the hole USB3.0 header.

• Second Update : New Panels & Color Scheme
As some other Cerberus users, i received Windowed panel. I took this opportunity to try a new color scheme.
I let you discover it..:)
Top & Front panels : Black

Side panels : Red

I would like to know your point of view.
  • Third Update : Refill watercooling loop & cleaning
I also decided to refill my watercooling loop and clean the cas as it was required.
Now tubes are transparent again and liquid is truly RED..;)

Here is final look, on my desktop!

And of course, CATS are not far away...

Here is Imgur Album linked :

Enjoy!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I feel that the current color scheme looks nice with the rest of your peripherals. The black front on the CerbX tones it down down and brings the focus to the windowed panel for me.

Just need some Frag Harder lights in that window now. ;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I feel that the current color scheme looks nice with the rest of your peripherals. The black front on the CerbX tones it down down and brings the focus to the windowed panel for me.

Just need some Frag Harder lights in that window now. ;)
Thanks a lot!

You are right. Now as we can see the internals, i need to think about to customize it..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is a new World of Tanks gameplay with Italian Progetto 46!

A lot of players are driving this new tank, but too many are far too agressive with it..:)

Reactions: confusis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is my very first battle with Italian Standard B...and I love it already..:)

krislicoque

What's an ITX?
May 4, 2018
This case looks fantastic. And good job fitting in the MSI 1080Ti. Great build.

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Cerberus or the Cerberus X. Would I be able to fit in the MSI 1080Ti into the smaller version? And would there be any immediate drawbacks for opting for the smaller case?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I follow Marc’s build thread since he has pioneered the CerbX for lots of us. I’ll take a shot in answering!

The Cerberus is only shorter by 61mm vs the X. All other dimensions are the same. So if you have room in the bottom and want to do MAtx motherboard then your GPU should fit fine. Adding a bottom mount rad with 25mm fans may get close to some of the 3 slot wide GPUs but still doable.

Edit. I went with the X because good matx boards are scarce and it really is small with very few compromises.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
This case looks fantastic. And good job fitting in the MSI 1080Ti. Great build.

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Cerberus or the Cerberus X. Would I be able to fit in the MSI 1080Ti into the smaller version? And would there be any immediate drawbacks for opting for the smaller case?

I follow Marc’s build thread since he has pioneered the CerbX for lots of us. I’ll take a shot in answering!

The Cerberus is only shorter by 61mm vs the X. All other dimensions are the same. So if you have room in the bottom and want to do MAtx motherboard then your GPU should fit fine. Adding a bottom mount rad with 25mm fans may get close to some of the 3 slot wide GPUs but still doable.

Edit. I went with the X because good matx boards are scarce and it really is small with very few compromises.
Thanks for watching my thread..:)

Sure you will be able to fit msi gtx 1080ti gaming x in smaller cerberus.
Between cerberus x and cerberus, it’s only 61mm shorter in height, as @TheHig stated..:)

Your choice between cerberus and cerberus-x should be only driven by your motherboard size..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Coming back to World of tanks : Progetto 65 (Tier X Italian tank) unlocked!

I already love it :