Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
O yeah, the most powerful SFX-L psu deserves premium price (but it's equal to best full ATX titanium psu like seasonic)..:)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Yep, 550W of pixelated flames.

There was a good discussion elsewhere about having 'Summer' and 'Winter' GPUs as you could heat your room in the winter with lovely inefficient ones! [Usually Radeons]
On the same basis Gareth Halfacree on Bit-Tech bough a used mining ASIC that ran at ~350W to play with and double as a winter room heater!!

Reactions: SeñorDonut

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Love the build dude! You've really gone above and beyond with the tinkering! That CPU cooler stack looks so hefty, I'm sure it well and truly does the job though :)

My question being, Did you have any issues overclocking your ram? I can't seem to get mine past 2133 despite having 3000 sticks? I've tried 2666 and 2933 profiles in the bios but I aint getting anywhere :(

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks!
Well @stock my 3200Mhz Flare-X were only recognized at 2933Mhz. I was forced to increase vsoc and dram voltage to 1.4v to loadline calibration to 2...after i search for maximum stable speed which appears to be 3520mhz..:)
So even with recommended ram for Ryzen, RAM is not so easy OC on Ryzen...:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hehe, i understand you. Personnally i was so eager to get on that i ordered a pre production prototype and i've sold my full gzming setup to uild a dedicated setup..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 22th May 2017 : Cool & quiet, RAM Overclocking
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for a new major update.
Main target was to get rid of this offset temperature that AMD included in their Ryzen with XFR (1800X, 1700X and 1600X).
As you may know, AMD is adding something like 20°C (when cpu is on load) on temperature. That simply means that with same settings a R7 1700 will run at 70°C whereas R7 1700X will run at 90°C...that's a pain for ears..:)
Biggest issue is at idle where my R7 1700X is always at 65°C...if I'm opening a web browing...boom..fans are ramping up like hell as Asus MB/software are putting fans at 100% at 70-75°C...damn!
For info, Ryzen Master is properlly monitoring cpu temperature. Even HW or HWinfo were wrong also...

I was starting to become desperate till I remembered of my sweet Corsair Commander mini.

when I was looking at Corsair commander mini solution, Corsair was not yet supporting Ryzen (Corsair Link software rev 4.6). That's exactly when I discovered the perfect software to handle Corsair Commander mini, as Corsair link software is clearly one of the worst I've ever used..:D
This life sayer is SIV (System Information Viewer). It's developped by red-ray, an independant developper. This software is really fast to load, light and really powerful! The only difficulty is to get used to user interface...but tutorial is quite easy to follow.
Thanks to this software, we can link all fans connected to Corsair Commander mini to any temperature detected by SIV...and that's the key feature, because SIV is detecting the proper Ryzen Temperature (clearly it's more complex than just an offset of 20°C)!

I tested Corsair Commander Mini outside the Cerberus-x as a trial...but as it was a really successful one, my main goal was to update my setup...:D
Currently the only drawback on this solution is that Corsair Commander Mini is using the only one USB 2.0 internal header on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero. This will be solved as I received USB 3.0 from KI.

So here are updates :
  • I decided to use only 1x140mm fan (the one coming from Noctua C14S) at bottom. Dual 120mm, so far away from GPU are useless (confirmed by early testing on OC GTX 1070).

• Infinite vents are clearly really useful to tie straps..:) I attach Corsair commander mini on the front panel with dual velcro. I also put some straps for cable management
Final assembly is pretty clean, and very effective!

My dear mock up area..:D

Update 22th May 2017 : Overclocking results
It's not surprise that Ryzen has difficulties to overclock RAM.
I tried many overclocking parameters (spent most on my sunday...and my wife was far from being happy of that..:)) I almost finish really frustrated.

In fact here what I noticed :
  • From cold start (computer stopped), I was unable to OC RAM higher than 2933, 14-14-14-34. These trials were really time consuming and led me to a dead end.
  • From cold start (computer stopped), I'm able to OC RAM up to 3520Mhz 16-16-18-36 (my max frequencies rght now) after going to bios, save it and reset computer
  • Once on Windows, if I put to sleep (not hibernate) computer while OC RAM @3520Mhz, it is waking up with absolutely no issues..:D I can also reboot/restart computer with no issues at all.
Conclusion : My RAM sticks don't like overcloking from cold start. As sleep mode is still powering RAM modules, that's why sleep mode is working really fine with overclocked RAM. I guess I've tamed Ryzen OC, reaching a stable, cool & quiet Ryzen 7 1700X @4.02Ghz + RAM @3520Mhz + GTX 1070 @2025Mhz (real frequency in game)..:D

Updates to come :
  • Addition of dust filters (short term)
  • Potential improvements on RAM OC (short term)
  • KI power extension & usb 3.0 front panel (mid term)
  • GPU replacement to RX Vega Nova (mid term)
I hope you enjoy this update!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My Asus Prime X370-Pro also had reported the 20°C higher temperature, but it was fixed in an earlier BIOS update, it now reports the temperature without the offset. It also fixed the issue that the CPU fan was based on the "CPU diode" instead of the IHS "CPU" temperature. Since the diode fluctuates heavily and regularly, it made the CPU fan ramp up and down every few seconds.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My Asus Prime X370-Pro also had reported the 20°C higher temperature, but it was fixed in an earlier BIOS update, it now reports the temperature without the offset. It also fixed the issue that the CPU fan was based on the "CPU diode" instead of the IHS "CPU" temperature. Since the diode fluctuates heavily and regularly, it made the CPU fan ramp up and down every few seconds.
On crosshair vi hero, for sure, temperature offset is still here...maybe as it's a motherboard dedicated to OC..:D

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
they just replied back they say they don't even have personal ones anymore. Ill give you $400 for the case lol

Im on a timeframe to move back to Taiwan but I work in Taiwan / S Korea / Japan / Malaysia.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
they just replied back they say they don't even have personal ones anymore. Ill give you $400 for the case lol

Im on a timeframe to move back to Taiwan but I work in Taiwan / S Korea / Japan / Malaysia.
Well you know it was more expensive than that on this pre production version..:)