Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I've seen some reports of the SAM functionality working independent of CPU in Linux. That's not to say that the 5xxx series doesn't look fantastic, but it may not be required.
O you mean it’s linked to motherboard chipset and not cpu...let’s see..;)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
O you mean it’s linked to motherboard chipset and not cpu...let’s see..;)

I believe it's actually at the protocol level of the GPU interface, so "should work" even with intel CPUs or x470, ect, but that's also contingent on support from a drivers and operating system perspective.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I believe it's actually at the protocol level of the GPU interface, so "should work" even with intel CPUs or x470, ect, but that's also contingent on support from a drivers and operating system perspective.
Let's hope it's not a "too fragile" link or feature..:D

This type of feature is directly inherited from consoles and it will be really great to have it also on PC..:D

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here they come : Zen 3 is out and AM4 socket last gen CPU are just amazing...It took 3.5 years for AMD to dethrone Intel over all CPU markets...but Intel will counter attack for sure, relying external founders (like TSMC and Samsung). Basically like AMD, with Global Foundries, biggest loser right is Intel founder division...unable to reach proper efficiency below 14nm.

It will be really hard for me to wait for AM5, DDR5 and Zen 4 CPU...but I have to! My main goal is GPU upgrade and I need to focus my budget to pick up either RX6900XT or potential RTX 3080ti...:D

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Here they come : Zen 3 is out and AM4 socket last gen CPU are just amazing...It took 3.5 years for AMD to dethrone Intel over all CPU markets...but Intel will counter attack for sure, relying external foundries (like TSMC and Samsung). Basically like AMD, with Global Foundries, biggest loser right is Intel fab division...unable to reach proper efficiency below 14nm.

It will be really hard for me to wait for AM5, DDR5 and Zen 4 CPU...but I have to! My main goal is GPU upgrade and I need to focus my budget to pick up either RX6900XT or potential RTX 3080ti...:D
fixed it for you. to me the extra feature for going full team red this time is a nice pad in the back to us red fanbois - I'm personally gonna try and go balls to the walls with AM4 and stick with the platform for 5-7 years, only upgrading GPU every other gen

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
fixed it for you. to me the extra feature for going full team red this time is a nice pad in the back to us red fanbois - I'm personally gonna try and go balls to the walls with AM4 and stick with the platform for 5-7 years, only upgrading GPU every other gen
:D Eager to see your upgraded setup.

Most difficult part of the plan is to stick on it..:)

When I will switch to AM5 platform, my 1st gen Ryzen MB will have something like 4.5-5 years old...not too bad.
I'm also expecting to upgrade my main monitor...I must admit that my LG CX is really good. CPU & MB have to remain stable as so many others stuff need to be bought..:)

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
:D Eager to see your upgraded setup.

Most difficult part of the plan is to stick on it..:)

When I will switch to AM5 platform, my 1st gen Ryzen MB will have something like 4.5-5 years old...not too bad.
I'm also expecting to upgrade my main monitor...I must admit that my LG CX is really good. CPU & MB have to remain stable as so many others stuff need to be bought..:)
you should go for the best monitor you could and just slowly upgrade everything. it's no good if the PC has 1000 cores and pump out 1000FPS if your monitor is crappy. I'm using the LG 38GN950 right now, worth every penny spent!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
you should go for the best monitor you could and just slowly upgrade everything. it's no good if the PC has 1000 cores and pump out 1000FPS if your monitor is crappy. I'm using the LG 38GN950 right now, worth every penny spent!
Nice monitor indeed..;)
Just got my LG 27MU67 since 2016, IPS 4k 60hz.
Now I'm more interested in Oled panel..I wish to have something like 32", 4K Oled HDR (dolby vision) 120hz monitor. Basically a downsized version on my current TV LG CX 55". Even smaller 48" is too big for me as monitor..:)

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
So I scanned through a decent amount of this thread and had a question for you. How much temperature difference do you see on the motherboard, vrm, ect, between running water cooled and air? With a c14 I would assume its not an issue at all, is there any need to be worried about placing a fan over the motherboard area for extra movement with water cooling? Currently I have a single slim noctua as exhaust at the top center, and a 280mm radiator in the bottom with push/pull fans pulling air in through the bottom. I either need to get spacers, or reverse air flow though, as the fans are rather loud against the bottom of the case. Lifting 10mm made them much quieter.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
So I scanned through a decent amount of this thread and had a question for you. How much temperature difference do you see on the motherboard, vrm, ect, between running water cooled and air? With a c14 I would assume its not an issue at all, is there any need to be worried about placing a fan over the motherboard area for extra movement with water cooling? Currently I have a single slim noctua as exhaust at the top center, and a 280mm radiator in the bottom with push/pull fans pulling air in through the bottom. I either need to get spacers, or reverse air flow though, as the fans are rather loud against the bottom of the case. Lifting 10mm made them much quieter.
Motherboards components temperature rely mainly on motherboard choice. With C14S, basically all motherboards are safe. On pure watercooling with little or no airflow above them, it's safer to choose motherboard with beefier VRM.
Basically with my crosshair Hero VI, I never experienced any VRM, RAM or any MB components overheat.

Main drawback putting radiator (intake I suppose) at the bottom of the case is leading to noticeably higher temperature on GPU (and noise as direct consequence).
To reduce noise, try first to put fans as pull (ie radiator directly on case, fans on top as intake). Second try other 140 fans. Artic cooling P series remains benchamark in cost/noise, especially in 140mm size where motor fans tend to be really noisy.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Motherboards components temperature rely mainly on motherboard choice. With C14S, basically all motherboards are safe. On pure watercooling with little or no airflow above them, it's safer to choose motherboard with beefier VRM.
Basically with my crosshair Hero VI, I never experienced any VRM, RAM or any MB components overheat.

Main drawback putting radiator (intake I suppose) at the bottom of the case is leading to noticeably higher temperature on GPU (and noise as direct consequence).
To reduce noise, try first to put fans as pull (ie radiator directly on case, fans on top as intake). Second try other 140 fans. Artic cooling P series remains benchamark in cost/noise, especially in 140mm size where motor fans tend to be really noisy.

The noise I'm getting currently is just from the fans next to the grill at the bottom of the case, moving them away a little bit makes them nice and quiet again.

I tried running as bottom exhaust on the radiator as well, with intake up top. Saw around 5c jump in temps as exhuast instead of intake. Gpu/cpu are both in the custom loop. I'm running Noctua a12x25's as push/pull using adapters. Radiator is a hardware labs gtr280, so I didn't want to go with only one pair of fans with the density, especially since I had empty space in the case!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The noise I'm getting currently is just from the fans next to the grill at the bottom of the case, moving them away a little bit makes them nice and quiet again.

I tried running as bottom exhaust on the radiator as well, with intake up top. Saw around 5c jump in temps as exhuast instead of intake. Gpu/cpu are both in the custom loop. I'm running Noctua a12x25's as push/pull using adapters. Radiator is a hardware labs gtr280, so I didn't want to go with only one pair of fans with the density, especially since I had empty space in the case!
Nice setup you have. With your full custom loop clearly bottom intake is the way to go...:)

Hard way to optimize in space you went for thicker radiator..:D

Only way I see is to use washer or nuts for 3-5mm height with longer screws at the bottom, as you mentionned.
It reminds me way I found to cram my MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X in SM550 case..:)

First trial, I was using nuts :

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Strong headaches are starting again in order to update my setup with following questions :
  • For my desktop setup, should I replace my 4K Led IPS monitor to LG CX 48" Oled (I love so much my CX 55" used as TV)? Issue on viewing distance? Burn-in? Gaming monitor market is so dull right now (from my point of view)...just aiming at crasy fps at 1080p with poor image quality
  • Should I keep confidence to PCIe Riser as Gen 4 version seems clearly to struggle since monthes? I'm not concerned by performance but by compatibility issues we are facing with Motherboard and GPU in Gen 4. What about Gen 5 by end of 2021 with Zen 4?..:) Basically I was wondering to replace SM550+ with Sliger 620/610
  • Next option/opportunity is to move all my setups to ATX motherboard, thanks to N-ATX that could replace SM550+. N-ATX will bring taller cpu cooler, 3-Slots GPU (with ATX MB) but will keep compromise on PCIe Riser
Many ongoing thoughts...:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Cherry on the top...RX 6800/6800XT or 6900XT vs RTX 3080...new headaches...;);)

Only sure thing : current best gaming monitor is LG CX OLED series...either on AMD or Nvidia GPU..:)
I'm not alone to think that...:)

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
And here is suspense coming to an end :

After all very bad news about shortage of new GPU (Ampere, Big Navi) due to so many reasons :
  • GDDR6 very bad shortage (definitely happening, forcasts are really pessimists as GDDR6 is heavily used recently, PS5, XBOX, GPU)
  • Cryptocurrencies Miners ??? (not really sure)
  • End of production (already) of all RX6000 reference design cards (related to complete lack of GDDR6)
  • Potential RX6900XT reference model for 1300€ (France)...at least for 10 pcs available...
I've decided to secure one RTX 3090 Founder's Edition for my beloved Cerberus-X...:D
I never spent that much in GPU (got it at MSRP) and I will simply skip any CPU replacement to 2022

Very quick notes :
  • It's really a tight fit in length. Maximum theorical length for Cerberus-X is 329mm (vs 313mm RTX 3090 FE) but you have to pass through a narrower space above. Hopefully RTX 3090 FE is not too tall.
  • 3 pcie slots are always a surprise (habit to remove only 2 screws..;))
  • This is a power hungry beast : 350W easily reached during very fast testing..;)
  • This power consumption is implying more noise (more indepth review to come) :
    • Coil whine from GPU
    • PSU fan speedup
  • All that for 4K ultra 120 fps?I guess yes!..:):)
More to come (of course)...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Looking at above picture I just realized that C14S heatsink is like a wall of hot air exhaust of RTX3090...

I might summon someone from the past to improve airflow with RTX3090..:D

More to come...

Reactions: Arboreal

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Just received SX750...sounded promising..:)

Pretty nice quality, at least, externally.

However...fan control was dead...after 10 seconds after pressing power button, SX750 fan was already at max speed...no way to control...

Thus I keep my trusty SX700 and send SX750 back to dealer...
Silverstonetek has strong background with bad fan management (SX 700 LPT...:):))
What a pity!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Uruk and rfarmer

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
However...fan control was dead...after 10 seconds after pressing power button, SX750 fan was already at max speed...no way to control...

I had the same issue pop up on SilverStone's 1200w ATX offering on a workstation rig; switched to a BeQuiet model for the same reason. Appears to be a recurring theme for them.