Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 28th February 2021 : Cerberus-X is a cooling predator!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know I've built & fine tuned Sliger CL530 to host RTX3090 FE and R7 5800X in a decent way (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-cl530-tame-rtx-3090-fe-build-log.16125/post-240674)

But time was lacking to report here how exceptionally well Cerberus-X was handling RTX 3090 FE (I mentionned it in my CL530 build log).

In fact I put RTX 3090 FE back to Cerberus X in order to test my SX-800 LTI (as it was shutting down the system while inside CL530).

During this testing I discovered 2 importants points :
  • CL530 design was over exposing PSU to overheat...and clearly SX-800 lti was overheated in CL530. Hopefully adding an intake 120 fan on top of SF750 in CL530 is solving this issue
  • Cerberus-X (with rear 92mm AIO for cpu cooling) demonstrated, once again, its exceptional cooling capability! Just have a look at those 2 videos on Control benchmark (GPU is set to same voltage/clocks parameters 1800Mhz/0,806v)
    • Cerberus-X :
    • CL530 (with Riser & PSU Fan mods) :
It's almost night & day between the 2 Sliger cases :
  • RTX 3090 FE :
    • Core :
      • Cerberus-X : reaching 65°C in peak, mostly 64°C...simply time to all case fans to spin a little bit faster than idle...:)
      • CL530 : reaching 75°C in peak, mostly 74°C
    • GDDR6X :
      • Cerberus-X : reaching 100°C in peak, mostly 98°C. Really Stable
      • CL530 : reaching 108°C in peak, mostly 106°C..no thermal throttle but fragile balance (more demanding scenes will lead to thermal throttle)
    • Fan Speed :
      • Cerberus-X : 1280rpm approx (default fan curve)
      • CL530 : 1420rpm approx (customed fan curve)
  • CPU : (For information)
    • Cerberus-X : 63°C/64°C (R7 3800X 4.3Ghz@1.31v, 645LT AIO)
    • CL530 : 73°C/74°C (R7 5800X Stock, IS-60 EVO with 25mm fan on top
  • Build Noise :
    • Cerberus-X : Quiet
    • CL530 : Loud (tends to distract me)
I wanted to insist once again on exceptional cooling capability of Cerberus-X, especially with this rear 92mm AIO...cool & quiet gaming setup..:D

CL530 remains mediocre with RTX 3090 FE (awful with opened air GPU like my GTX 1080 Ti that throttles very quickly inside due to hot air recycling)

I'm clearly not really satisfied with my CL530 with RTX3090 FE, even with mods applied, that clearly help.
However I'm still in love with my Cerberus-X (4 years already)...:)

For sure I'll update my builds and I'll let you know..:D

Last edited:

fraquar

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 17, 2021
I just ordered this case (Cerberus X) and I sure hope they aren't cat magnets - as I'm allergic to them. ☺️
Seriously though, this case I've been seriously late to the party with - as it ticks every point I've wanted in a case except one.
Never understood the point of front I/O on cases - albeit this case is about as minimal as it gets with two USB 3.0 ports (which are already out of place technology wise - hence my point).
1L bigger than my Silverstone SG03 - which has served me well for over a decade - and this holds an ATX motherboard.

Arboreal

Master of Cramming
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
1L bigger than my Silverstone SG03 - which has served me well for over a decade - and this holds an ATX motherboard.
I hadn't thought of it like that, interesting perspective.
I've never owned an SG03, but did want one for a long time ages ago.
Enjoy the X and mind those cats!

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I just ordered this case (Cerberus X) and I sure hope they aren't cat magnets - as I'm allergic to them. ☺️
Seriously though, this case I've been seriously late to the party with - as it ticks every point I've wanted in a case except one.
Never understood the point of front I/O on cases - albeit this case is about as minimal as it gets with two USB 3.0 ports (which are already out of place technology wise - hence my point).
Welcome on board! Cerberus-X is a Jewel!

Regarding front I/O I'll have more remarks...I remind you that I've started my Cerberus-X adventure with USB 2.0..:)
With my late experience on USB 3.2 gen2 or Thunderbolt 3 cables, I can assure you that front I/O cables will become even bigger & more stiff...even I'm convince you will have only 1 USB 4.0 port type C at the end. Obviously all those cables are taking place that be used for better cooling, more storage, etc...
On top of that, leaving cable connected on front I/O is simply ugly.

That's where small size of Cerberus-X (like all SFF) is very helpful as it allows easy access to rear I/O.

Personnally I'm only using front I/O very rarely.

Let us know about your build!

fraquar

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 17, 2021
My build is going to come over time, like 12-18 months time (give time for the market to settle down and manufacturing to catch up to demand). For right now I wanted to get a good foundation, and it should be at my door today - FedEx willing. I'll take care of the smaller stuff (PSU, case fans, cable management, etc) in the meantime till the dust settles in the market.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My build is going to come over time, like 12-18 months time (give time for the market to settle down and manufacturing to catch up to demand). For right now I wanted to get a good foundation, and it should be at my door today - FedEx willing. I'll take care of the smaller stuff (PSU, case fans, cable management, etc) in the meantime till the dust settles in the market.
Difficult market so far.
Keep us posted..;)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well I'm back to upgrade path for my Cerberus-X...at least indirectly.

First I'll upgrade my desk (moving to 1900x700mm), should arrive in October.
Meanwhile I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, at least trying to...

Here are wished/Dreamed Monitor specifications :
  • 32" Oled 144Hz, very good for HDR content
  • GSync & Freesync (DP 1.4 DSC & Hdmi 2.1)
  • sober design
  • Fanless
Here are identified contenders, but none were fully compliant :
  1. Asus PG32UQX :
    1. Pros :
      1. Mini Led 32", 144Hz screen with 1400 nits with uutstanding HDR performance
      2. Correct response time
      3. Gsync Ultimate
    2. Cons :
      1. Active cooling!
      2. Way too much expensive (3.5k€)
      3. No HDMI 2.1
  2. LG 32EP950 :
    1. Pros :
      1. Oled 32", 60Hz screen with outstanding color
    2. Cons :
      1. No Gsync/Freesync
      2. Way too much expensive (4.5k€)
  3. LG 27GL850 / EVE Spectrum (same panel, I would prefer Eve Spectrum for functionnalities) :
    1. Pros :
      1. 144Hz Gsync, Freesync (HDMI 2.1 for Eve)
      2. Sober look for Eve Spectrum
    2. Cons :
      1. 27" only
      2. IPS panel only with only 16 area
      3. Pretty bad HDR implementation
  4. LG C1 48" TV
    1. Pros :
      1. 120Hz 48" Oled Gsync panel
      2. Hdmi 2.1
      3. Price is OK
    2. Cons :
      1. Too big for desk
      2. 4 sub pixels (add. white) is not great for text
      3. Glossy finish

Overall, market is moving in interesting direction, but I'm pretty frustrated.
Asus PG32UQX is clearly the closest monitor to my expectations, however it has some major flaws that prevents me to buy it (Price, active cooling, lack of hdmi 2.1)

Fingers crossed new panels for late 2021 or 2022 will be announced.

On top of that, would you have any advice for Monitor selection?

Reactions: rfarmer