Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

BiRaitBec

Efficiency Noob
Jun 14, 2020
I can only speak for myself, but I use 120mm fans in the bottom because I had two NF-A12x25 Noctuas and they are better than any other fan, 140mm models included.

In terms of CPU cooling, NH-C14S is still your best bet. BeQuiet offering is almost as good, but I think the reason behind his low use in Cerberus builds is the crappy mounting system.
So you are saying that dual 140x27 mm fans by arctic can actually be mounted on bottom, even if you prefer noctuas?

And the 140mm fan that can be mounted on the front panel, has to be max 15 mm, or can also be 25-27?

And same for 27 mm fans, on the bottom of your c14s, instead of noctuas 140x25 can it allow a 140x27mm or 25 is already too tight?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@BiRaitBec thanks for your message

Cerberus-X is a great choice as it is proposing top notch cooling & power capabilities..:)

For fans selection, Artic are best fans in ratio performance/silence/price.

For bottom fans, I still recommend 120 fans as 140 are too large for me as they could block I/O of motherboard. My current with dual 120mm at bottom is simply providing same GPU/CPU temperature as if you were in opened case.

Also please make sure you have slim 120mm top fan and 92mm rear fans placed as exhaust.

For PSU, you can go either SFX or SFX-L. Corsair SF series are easy to tweak on fan if it's becoming noisy (like my modded SF600).

Uruk

Caliper Novice
Feb 1, 2019
So you are saying that dual 140x27 mm fans by arctic can actually be mounted on bottom, even if you prefer noctuas?

And the 140mm fan that can be mounted on the front panel, has to be max 15 mm, or can also be 25-27?

And same for 27 mm fans, on the bottom of your c14s, instead of noctuas 140x25 can it allow a 140x27mm or 25 is already too tight?
- Yep, you can mount 2 140x27mm fans on the bottom, no problem at all. You only have to make sure that your motherboard is standard ATX and doesnt have any big connector in the bottom end that can be blocked, like 90º USB 3.0.
- The front fan can be as wide as you want, as long as your GPU allow it.
- Depends on your RAM height. With my TridentZ theres no room for 27mm fans, but with something smaller, like Corsair LPX, you will be able to use 27mm fans.

BiRaitBec

Efficiency Noob
Jun 14, 2020
@BiRaitBec thanks for your message

Cerberus-X is a great choice as it is proposing top notch cooling & power capabilities..:)

For fans selection, Artic are best fans in ratio performance/silence/price.

For bottom fans, I still recommend 120 fans as 140 are too large for me as they could block I/O of motherboard. My current with dual 120mm at bottom is simply providing same GPU/CPU temperature as if you were in opened case.

Also please make sure you have slim 120mm top fan and 92mm rear fans placed as exhaust.

For PSU, you can go either SFX or SFX-L. Corsair SF series are easy to tweak on fan if it's becoming noisy (like my modded SF600).
- Yep, you can mount 2 140x27mm fans on the bottom, no problem at all. You only have to make sure that your motherboard is standard ATX and doesnt have any big connector in the bottom end that can be blocked, like 90º USB 3.0.
- The front fan can be as wide as you want, as long as your GPU allow it.
- Depends on your RAM height. With my TridentZ theres no room for 27mm fans, but with something smaller, like Corsair LPX, you will be able to use 27mm fans.
Thanks guys i ll think about it and i surely will let you know the result. Still am waiting for the case to arrive and then finding a way to translate all properly.

Consider that my old case is also with blu ray, many things and the cables behind the mdb are almost infinite.

Lets see how it goes.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks guys i ll think about it and i surely will let you know the result. Still am waiting for the case to arrive and then finding a way to translate all properly.

Consider that my old case is also with blu ray, many things and the cables behind the mdb are almost infinite.

Lets see how it goes.
For blu ray disc, I've switch to external case personnally..:)

Let's keep us posted!

BiRaitBec

Efficiency Noob
Jun 14, 2020
For blu ray disc, I've switch to external case personnally..:)

Let's keep us posted!
On the side bracket, if i put the fan on the bottom from c14s, i should have space for a 25-27 mm fan right? And does a 140mm can be mounted on the side bracket? I see that when you mounted your 120mm one still you got some diameter space left on it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
On the side bracket, if i put the fan on the bottom from c14s, i should have space for a 25-27 mm fan right? And does a 140mm can be mounted on the side bracket? I see that when you mounted your 120mm one still you got some diameter space left on it.
You are perfectly, while using c14s you can mount directly 25mm fan (either 120 or 140) on side bracket. I’m doing this since I have my Cerberus-X...;)
However I’m not sure what space is available. I’ll say 25-26 mm max

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
A new contender arrived to fight versus Swiftech : Barrow combo cpu waterblock/reservoir/DDC pump... I was following it since last July..:)

Now question is : buy it or not?..:D
I was thinking to update my 92mm customed WC...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
A new contender arrived to fight versus Swiftech : Barrow combo cpu waterblock/reservoir/DDC pump... I was following it since last July..:)

Now question is : buy it or not?..:D
I was thinking to update my 92mm customed WC...

Finally I didn't click on buy button because it not well suited for AM4 socket (for Intel it's pretty good...I still love this Square frame of Intel sockets.:)).
Right now with AM4 socket I think the block will bump into RAM or VRM heatsink.