Log Slim tower mITX, i5-23600k, DDR5, AIO or Air, overkill for my needs:)

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
i5-13600K, typo on the title, oops!

I posted a thread elsewhere about this then realized I should of kept it simple and to the point about AIO/graghics/etc....

Anyway, here is the plan and I know some is overkill and some underpowered if it was a gamming system but I also planned on future proofing as much as made sense and who knows, at nearly 72 I might get into gaming someday:)

For now, none gaming unless I play solitaire or 2021 Myst, mostly for Chief Architect smaller projects and later mild CAD for fun. System is going to be far more than I need but having fun seeing what I can do buying most all used, clearance, returns, etc.

I plan to do a lot of filtering and airflow directing to mazimize cooling, noise and keeping it clean inside.

UPDATE:
Parts on hand or on order: Everything I buy is used, refurb, etc, what I do on most all things.
Fractal Ridge black $66 with dual 140mm fans
Asus ROQ Strix B760-1 motherboard, open box, $169
i5-13600k, $222
Thermalright LGA1700-BCF, $13
Shadow Rock LP cooler $25
Silverstone Air Slimmer 120mm CPU cooler fan, $16, highest output slim fan I could find
RTX 3060 ti FE, $275, considering 3070 ti or 3080 FE versions
G.Skills Ripjaws 32GB (2x16) DDR5 6400 CL32, $94 (replacing Samsung 4800, not much gain expected)
1TB NVME. Samsung 980 Pro, open box, $78, not much gain over the 970, did not expect it
1TB NVME, Samsung 970 Evo Plus, $59 (second drive, backup)
Corsair SF600 Platinum power supply, $90
6) Arctic P8 PST PMW 80mm fans
4) 140mm nylon magnetic filters
6) 80mm nylon magnetic filters (on the way)
Total approx $1,150 invested.

Parts under consideration or shopping for best deal:
Silverstone Vida Slim AIO 240mm, testing fans, filters, etc to see if really needed first

Supporting gear:
BenQ 24" 2K monitor $140 (best for my needs and part of why I do not need a higher end graphics card)
Logitech wired mouse $15, great mouse
Perixx backlite wired mini keyboard, scissor keys, very nice, $25

Everything in our full time RV is wired, no WiFi, BT, shielding the whole place against EMI, etc.

Advice always welcome, been at least 10 years since I built a very compact high powered iRacing system for traveling.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Snagged a good used FR Ridge on Ebay for $66 so that will be the build case:)

I am still looking at graphics/aio options, lots to figure out there.

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Shadow Rock LP mount does not fit LGA1700 but I figured out it is quite easy to make it work, just remove a bit of material to snug up on the underside of the MB and a bit of filing on the top two mount bolt holes. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
I am going to build this into a ducted, sealed, filtered setup using various materials then making sure it all works as I need it to, it will be the funnest part of the project. I was going to start with a filtered case but like this one the best and got if for cheap, glad I went with it. Done right it will allow for much slower fan speeds so much less noise, most builds I have looked at could use some work in this area.

This is not a show case build, it is a budget high enough performance, low enough noise, fit under my desk or even behind it build. Maybe when I get the total remodel which includes everything top to bottom, inside and out, on the RV we live in full time I might build a showcase system for fun.

Rick

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Up and running great, really quiet until I do a serious bench on it then the video card is by far the loudest but I also do not have the case side on nor other things done yet. I am going to sound deaden, duct, etc when I install the six 80mm fans, three on front pulling air in through filters, 3 on top exit, no filters, two 140mm side fans filtered input, power supply and CPU cooler filtered. The three front fans will be ducted to aim mostly to the MB area, two 140mm side fans aimed and ducted to mostly aim at GPU fans, three top fans ducted to pull air out of the GPU area. Rear upper case vents covered. Case vents by the MB and bottom of case left open, then see how it goes.

As for GPU fan on the Shadow Rock LP, tried a LP Arctic fan, about same results as the stock SR fan, when the Silverstone arrives I will give it a try, LP, highest rated airflow and static pressure I could find as needs to pull air through the case vents and a filter. I might end up cutting out the side of the case a bit to allow more flow if needed. I might do that for the 140mm fans as well as the PS fan.

Then cover the vent holes around the areas without fans and use a gasket to seal the intake are to the fan to ensure pulling only outside air in. Also cover vented part of case cover by the GPU.

If all this does not quite do what I need then I will get the Silverstone Vida AIO and change top fans to filtered input and remove filter from 140mm fan area and test, might have to open up the GPU vents and use them there or part of it, etc.....

Having great fun, wish I was more into gaming as this has become far more of a system than I need for anything I do. Graphics looks great on 2021 Myst but I got bored with it and cheated my way to the end. I am looking for something with great graphics, more action but not a fighting game, just not into that and not sure iRacing either as I gave up racing real cars some time ago and really good simulators(not full motion) just not that fun to me.

Rick

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 24, 2024
Still tuning GPU, RAM, etc and running all but one benchmark at around 79 FPS for faster, 2K, everything set at max. CPU temps upper 40 to mid 50c except one which I am sorting out. GPU temps 65-85 which should improve when I get all the fans setup when the 80mm filters arrive. It will be a pressurized case. I am waiting on the 80mm filters so I can finish up the cooling setup which might help a bit.

(Oops, forgot to put custom tune back in, did so and CPU temps are good as well as GPU dropped to 71c.

Now, I need to find a use for this system as just not a gamer, it is far more than I need but sure fun to build and tweak it:)

I am looking at adventure, space, SiFi, puzzle, etc and only a few seem like I might enjoy them.

Most here would consider me old as turning 72 in May but I never acted my age, even when I should of when younger....I have just never been into electronic games, just solitare. I like playing pin ball, pool, hand ball, racketball, baseball, football, soccer actual bicycle and car racing, even did some successful car audio comps, everything always DIY.

Recommendations of games I might like would be appreciated:)

Rick

Last edited: