Slim prebuilt dGPU (at least 1060)?

chx

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 18, 2016
So we have the MSI Vortex 25 8RE and the BBen GB01. I like these because they are still easy to pack but allow for much better cooling than a gaming laptop. Any similar? Let's say the max thickness is around 1U but the thinner the merrier. (The BBEN GB01 is slightly thicker but not terribly, 1U is 44.45 where the GB01 is 47mm.)

It really must be prebuilt because a two slot card in itself or just the I/O shield is thicker. Heck, the CustomMOD Nano is 59mm.

I have travelled a real lot more than ten years ago with https://hothardware.com/reviews/gtr-tech-corporation-gt3bh-pc-chassis1 this baby, it was ATX, full ATX! Surely we can do half as slim this many years later?

Last edited:

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Hades Canyon will probably be your smallest COTS system. The Kaby Lake G in the higher end model is probably closer to 1050Ti than 1060 performance but you're in the ballpark and it's 39mm thick (about 1.2L volume). It's loud and personally, I don't think the cooling is particularly better than a gaming laptop.

If you need something prebuilt and you need something ultrathin, just go w/ a gaming laptop. An MSI GS65 is 17.9mm thick (<1.6L) with a mobile 1070 max-Q that gets you above desktop 1060 performance and it comes w/ an 82Wh battery, 144hz FHD screen and keyboard/trackpad as bonus features in that volume. If you must have a desktop form-factor, your best bet would probably to get a gaming laptop, shuck the motherboard, and CNC or 3D print an enclosure around it. If you want better cooling, just propping it up will give you pretty good bang/buck.

You absolutely can go the custom route for a thin machine btw - you can get a single slot 1070 (Galax Katana), although its worth noting that a single slot bracket is still 19mm, thicker than a thin and light gaming notebooks these days, and then plug it into a thin mini-itx or NUC mobo with a mPCIe-PCIe ribbon cable. Or you can shuck a Deskmini GTX (you'd be at about 40mm w/o all the case overhead). You could figure out a custom cooling solution and use VLP RAM to get down to maybe <30mm (if you don't want to go w/ a full custom waterblock, I bet you could mount two Dynatron coolers for the CPU and GPU).

Anyway, lots of options, just depends on the time and resources you wanted to dedicate to it (personally, I'd just go w/ the gaming laptop).

chx

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Last edited: