Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
And here is "big baby" episode : Assembly in SM550 :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-sm550-compact-quiet-gaming-htpc.11928/post-176080

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assembly #2 : Fitting properlly Asetek 645LT (9th December 2019)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eurekâ! (link above)
Finally I managed to put Asetek 645LT on CPU side, freeing all space on GPU side!

And I managed to put my MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X in it!

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I’ve read that ASUS x570-I gaming board could be incompatible with p gen 3 riser (leading to bsod). Apparently we cannot force pcie to work at gen 3 speed.
so I would have 2 questions :
  • Do you know if this is an accurate feedback? Still valid?
  • @KSliger @shadowfear is it possible to replace current riser on sm550 by a new one? I would like to know if it will be possible once new gen 4 riser will be available on sliger.com/density.sk

Thanks in advance

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I’ve read that ASUS x570-I gaming board could be incompatible with p gen 3 riser (leading to bsod). Apparently we cannot force pcie to work at gen 3 speed.
so I would have 2 questions :
  • Do you know if this is an accurate feedback? Still valid?
  • @KSliger @shadowfear is it possible to replace current riser on sm550 by a new one? I would like to know if it will be possible once new gen 4 riser will be available on sliger.com/density.sk

Thanks in advance
I believe the riser incompatibility only occurs when you have a PCIe gen4 slot with a PCIe gen4 card (i.e. the 5700/5700XT) with a gen3 riser.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I believe the riser incompatibility only occurs when you have a PCIe gen4 slot with a PCIe gen4 card (i.e. the 5700/5700XT) with a gen3 riser.

Thanks for your feedback.
That makes sense.

I seemed to recall some issue also if you had a PCI-E 4.0 nvme ssd and any other expansion card as well as it forced the default of the slot to gen4.

Reactions: MarcParis

thatonegirlt

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 4, 2019
Does the 550/560 have the option for the IO to be on the left side rather than the right side? Like can the panel be removed and swapped over? I tried searching this forum but didn't see anything like this question. Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I seemed to recall some issue also if you had a PCI-E 4.0 nvme ssd and any other expansion card as well as it forced the default of the slot to gen4.
PCIe Gen 4 needs to mature. But what I don't understand if why Asus on its x570 board does not allow to force PCIe Gen 3. Gigabyte does not have this issue.
We have to wait for Nvidia cards & Intel CPUs being compatible with PCIe 4 as for now riser manufacturers do not seem to care to release gen4 products.
Riser PCIe Gen 4 will definitely arrive in 2020 with RTX 3K cards. It could also depends on X670 boards with Zen 3. Right X570 cost is prohibitive, bringing few or no advantages over gen 3 (even SSD Gen 4 are not the fasted in workload).

Other question about Sliger SM cases : do we have feedback of SSD temperature placed on back of Motherboard? This location is often, just in front of GPU...I would consider it like an oven. Is it a realistic&viable position?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sliger SM550 Thermals & Noise : Trial by Fire! (10th December 2019)

SM550 Benchmark time has come! (link above)
I simply compared SM550 vs Cerberus-X with exactly same 300W GPU, overclocked/overvolted MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X!

GPU Comparison will be mainly on Gears 5!

Enjoy!

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Other question about Sliger SM cases : do we have feedback of SSD temperature placed on back of Motherboard? This location is often, just in front of GPU...I would consider it like an oven. Is it a realistic&viable position?

I have an Intel 660p 2TB on the back of my Aorus X570i in an SM580 and haven't had any throttling issues. It usually hovers around 60C during big writes.

Reactions: MarcParis

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
PCIe Gen 4 needs to mature. But what I don't understand if why Asus on its x570 board does not allow to force PCIe Gen 3. Gigabyte does not have this issue.

Riser PCIe Gen 4 will definitely arrive in 2020 with RTX 3K cards. It could also depends on X670 boards with Zen 3. Right X570 cost is prohibitive, bringing few or no advantages over gen 3 (even SSD Gen 4 are not the fasted in workload).
There was someone who posted on reddit recently that said with latest BIOS update you can now switch to PCI 3.0x16 with the Asus x570.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
As you know I'm looking to fit my MSI GTX1080TI inside SM550.
Based on my last experiment, I can close side panel, however fan are bumping to side panel. I guess it's missing 1-2mm offset to get it right.

I was looking to replace ball stud on side panel. Based on my Cerberus experience, BS11 ball studs should be used, but I'm not sure which reference exactly.

Do you know if :
  • 1-2mm longer ball stud are existing?
  • is it possible to order them in small quantity (like 10-12)?

Thank you for your support