Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

macmittens

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 20, 2019
Ugh... So after a month of waiting I got a replacement X570i from Gigabyte for the one that failed and it won't turn on in my SM580, but will on the cardboard. Has anyone had any grounding issues or know how to fix them? I've never experienced this before in my 20 whatever years of building my computer's.

That's fairly weird... Do you have a multimeter?

I'd go for a continuity check from the motherboard stand offs to the ground circuit and +5v / +3.3V pins on the USB header as a start (would indicate a short to ground somewhere, possibly inside the motherboard sandwich), and see if there are any visible clearance issues elsewhere that something live could be hitting the earthed case.

I'm guessing you're powering up on cardboard using the same PSU?

You could also power up on cardboard and check if you're getting a voltage on the case itself to check if the PSU is live, may be receiving voltage from the PSU directly or from a damaged cable somewhere in your cable management.

Reactions: Sahaj

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
That's fairly weird... Do you have a multimeter?

I'd go for a continuity check from the motherboard stand offs to the ground circuit and +5v / +3.3V pins on the USB header as a start (would indicate a short to ground somewhere, possibly inside the motherboard sandwich), and see if there are any visible clearance issues elsewhere that something live could be hitting the earthed case.

I'm guessing you're powering up on cardboard using the same PSU?

You could also power up on cardboard and check if you're getting a voltage on the case itself to check if the PSU is live, may be receiving voltage from the PSU directly or from a damaged cable somewhere in your cable management.
Yeah, same components, but on the mobo box. I've plugged in everything but the PCIe extension cable and it works fine. No multimeter but I may have to correct that. Would make life easier for all these switches and recepticals I have to replace

macmittens

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 20, 2019
Yeah, same components, but on the mobo box. I've plugged in everything but the PCIe extension cable and it works fine. No multimeter but I may have to correct that. Would make life easier for all these switches and recepticals I have to replace

Yeah, without the multi the only thing I can think of is that you might have a damaged cable. Are your cables sleeved? Individually sleeved cables are relatively well protected mechanically, but if you have grouped cables there could be a short within the cable itself.

Possible troubleshooting approach:

Try putting everything in case but unplug the GPU and any other peripherals (so that you only have power from the PSU to motherboard) and see if that will turn on? If so then add components one by one. Any that don't work try to change out all cables.

if the first step DOESN'T work try installing mobo without GPU and see if you get anywhere.

Borafuzzle

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2019
Which CPU cooler are you using? Could it be too high of mounting pressure being counteracted by applying the standoffs?

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
Alphacool Eisbaer LT. Sleeved cables from Corsair Platinum SF 650.

For whatever reason, it now works. ?

I stepped through the install one plug in at a time, testing power up. Everything works. I just realized I forgot to plug in the front USB header though. Let's find out...

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
Nope. Everything works. All things are possible if you believe. Banish the ghost in the machine. There is no such thing as technical skills, just blind luck and repeatedly trying the same thing over and over until it works. ?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Ugh... So after a month of waiting I got a replacement X570i from Gigabyte for the one that failed and it won't turn on in my SM580, but will on the cardboard. Has anyone had any grounding issues or know how to fix them? I've never experienced this before in my 20 whatever years of building my computer's.

Almost every time we have had power issues in this case it has been related to the CPU power or 24-pin power not plugged in all the way on either PSU or MB side, or bad cables if using custom cables. Double check those. Have not had any cases that have had shorts.

I would also check the riser - check if system can POST without rise in the PCIe slot.

Ok, so I started to take the SM570 out of the box now and have already some issues/questions:

1. The SM HW Kit Screws says it should contain:

12 x 6-32x1/4 BLK ZC (I have all 12)
14 x M3-.5x5 BLK ZN (I have 15)
14 x M3-.5x6 BLK ZINC (I have 13)

So it looks like there was a mistake with those M3 screws.

2. Where are these three main screw types used? Will they all be used? Because if so, I would have a problem because of the mixup.

3. The screw kit also contained the two other screws which I only assume are to be used for the power cord cover mount. Is this correct? I used them there and they fit just fine.

4. I haven't checked the case all over yet but so far I see one scratch on one of the side panels. Here's a pic:

@KSliger, can you comment on these please? Thanks.

1. This will not affect your ability to build, we include ~4-5 extra of each screw.

2. I will upload the SM570 / SM580 user manual today, this will cover that.

3. Correct

4. Not a scratch, is a debur mark that is under the paint. Usually these get caught by QC but sometimes the lighting has to be just right to see them. If you need a replacement we can see what we can do.

Just pulled the trigger on an order for the SM580, would appreciate any comments / concerns / feedback on the other bits I'm looking at picking up before I launch all of my orders off (yeah, I've listed a lot of ASUS stuff...):
  • Asus ROG RYUO 240 RGB 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card
  • Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (CAS16)
Quick edit: with that GPU I'm guessing I would need a side vented panel? Better off with a blower style GPU?

With how low power your CPU is I do not think you need vented, as long as you have all 4x fans going your GPU will be fine.

If you do want a vented panel can always buy one now from parts tab, and we will refund the shipping on it since it can ship with your case order.

Curious how the RYUO works for you as it's the only cooler I have not seen pictures of in a case.

La_Moelle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
Last question before I pull the trigger on a SM560, anyone know the maximum height for the GPU before having to install the pigtail style power cord ? My gpu is 139mm high.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Almost every time we have had power issues in this case it has been related to the CPU power or 24-pin power not plugged in all the way on either PSU or MB side, or bad cables if using custom cables. Double check those. Have not had any cases that have had shorts.

I would also check the riser - check if system can POST without rise in the PCIe slot.

1. This will not affect your ability to build, we include ~4-5 extra of each screw.

2. I will upload the SM570 / SM580 user manual today, this will cover that.

3. Correct

4. Not a scratch, is a debur mark that is under the paint. Usually these get caught by QC but sometimes the lighting has to be just right to see them. If you need a replacement we can see what we can do.

Thanks for the answers. I'll give the manual a read and I think I'll be fine :)

As for the debur mark issue, you're right because I didn't even notice it until I turned on my eagle eye. I would love a replacement but the problem is my original shipping address was my CA hotel when I was there last July. Now that I have the case with me in the Philippines, I'm not sure what are our options? Thanks.

Last edited:

La_Moelle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
I’d go with both power cords for more options.
Might be a good idea, it's only a 7€ option to have both. I found the normal plug to be more appealing, would be better to have it if I ever change the GPU, I don't think I will have to change the case anytime soon.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
@KSliger

I just read the manual and I have one concern regarding the pcie mode. I understand that the included riser only supports pcie 3.0 and that you need to set that in the BIOS beforehand but would keeping at Auto work as well? It's just that everytime you flash a new BIOS over your motherboard you need to load optimized defaults and the pcie mode default is also always Auto. No one would want to disassemble their system to plug in the GPU directly to the board and set the pcie mode manually every single time you load the BIOS defaults, would they? :)

La_Moelle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
@KSliger

I just read the manual and I have one concern regarding the pcie mode. I understand that the included riser only supports pcie 3.0 and that you need to set that in the BIOS beforehand but would keeping at Auto work as well? It's just that everytime you flash a new BIOS over your motherboard you need to load optimized defaults and the pcie mode default is also always Auto. No one would want to disassemble their system to plug in the GPU directly to the board and set the pcie mode manually every single time you load the BIOS defaults, would they? :)
The riser is just an extension cable. It won't change anything to plug your GPU directly to the motherboard or via the riser as the GPU is also only Pcie gen3. This is a non issue. Just be sure to not put the pcie port in 4.0 mode if you want to use it with your GPU.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
The riser is just an extension cable. It won't change anything to plug your GPU directly to the motherboard or via the riser as the GPU is also only Pcie gen3. This is a non issue. Just be sure to not put the pcie port in 4.0 mode if you want to use it with your GPU.

Yes, that's what I thought. The GPU is a Pcie gen4 gpu though. The only thing that is not is the riser.

I guess it would be better to just mention in the guide that loading the defaults and then setting the pcie mode to pcie3 is a must. But then I guess I'm just being too technical here.

La_Moelle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
Yes, that's what I thought. The GPU is a Pcie gen4 gpu though. The only thing that is not is the riser.

I guess it would be better to just mention in the guide that loading the defaults and then setting the pcie mode to pcie3 is a must. But then I guess I'm just being too technical here.
I think the issue would only appear if you set up your PC outside the case with pcie gen4 mode enabled in the bios. Then install everything in the case with a 3.0 riser, whithout changing anything in the bios. You'd have to do what you said, plug the GPU directly into the motherboard etc...

Leaving it in automode would not be an issue in my opinion, as everything is backward compatible and will auto detect it has to work on 3.0.