Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Yes. New motherboard install yesterday afternoon. Gonna pull it out again tonight and repaste. No idea. That is using Kyro as well.
Even at 3.9ghz with all boosts disabled and 1.165v it was hitting 95 in prime95 real quick.

Has to be some sort of thermal transfer problem, that is ridiculous hot. I had to OC to 5GHz to get that temperature on the 9600K.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I agree. I could not believe it when I saw it. Odd thing is, it was not idling any higher than it used to. Gonna rip it apart again (getting tired of that)and see. At least now I am able to swap boards w/o removing the psu and anything else haha.

edit.
Yea, I dont know. I am about done messing with. Pulled it and repasted. 39x multiplier, 1.162v still hits 95c in prime95 in less than 30 seconds. CPU package is still pulling 125watts, even at that low voltage. I tried custom tdp of 65w but it ignores it.

Last edited:

Navy8or

Caliper Novice
May 9, 2019
@KSliger I don't know if I missed it somewhere on the thread, but do you have GPU clearance data from the side panel in the 570 and 580? I'm interested in doing a cpu/gpu custom loop, but the gpu block I'm looking at has inlet and outlet ports facing the side panel. I'm worried there won't be enough room for the fittings. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like the inlet / outlet ports can go from either side, so If you have the clearance between the gpu and the center divider as well, that would be appreciated.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Update. I swapped the BS3 for a C7 I have because, why not. Hit max of 79c with the C7 but it is decently louder at max fan but at this point, I don't really care.
I grabbed a used 545 lt, the older one to the new 645 off ebay and a bracket from someone in Greece.

edit-
I think the issue with the BS3 is, using the intel brackets for the alternate vertical fin alignment mount on am4, I think the heatsink is not making perfect contact anymore with the cpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sahaj

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
Update. I swapped the BS3 for a C7 I have because, why not. Hit max of 79c with the C7 but it is decently louder at max fan but at this point, I don't really care.
I grabbed a used 545 lt, the older one to the new 645 off ebay and a bracket from someone in Greece.

edit-
I think the issue with the BS3 is, using the intel brackets for the alternate vertical fin alignment mount on am4, I think the heatsink is not making perfect contact anymore with the cpu.

Interesting, sorry you had to go through all the trouble, I can only imagine how frustrating it has been but thank you for reporting back. Did you ever try running BS3 with the AM4 bracket in the default orientation? I'm wondering if having the airflow from the fans is enough to handle to CPU with proper contact.

Reactions: wsgroves

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks @tuanster1119 . Yea my patience is growing thin. I must of taken this thing apart 10 times now. I did not try the BS3 with the standard AM4 mount because it would not work w/o a dedicated fan on it. The air from below would jam right into the wall of the cooler due to the wrong fin orientation. The only way that cooler even works with the intel kit is because it is the same mount kit from one of their other coolers, and it just happens to fit correctly on the BS3. Well, it did fit. Something seems to be up with mine.
If the case was slightly wider, to allow the fan to be put on the BS3 then yes, it would work fine.
I am printing a bracket for the C7 that will allow a different fan to be installed. I doubt it will work however, as the C7 sits very close to the side panel. If the bracket with the fan is any thicker at all, I don't believe it will fit but I will check later on.

@KSliger do you have that printer file handy so I can print a bracket for the 545lt cooler? If not, how do I order one from you.

Reactions: tuanster1119

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@ermac318 Thanks I will have a look. I have some other things to play with in the meantime. BestBuy matched amazon price of 144$ for a R5 2600 so I grabbed one to toy with. Free Division 2 Gold and World War Z, both I wanted and havent purchased yet. The cpu came to roughly 30$. haha.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
Thanks @tuanster1119 . Yea my patience is growing thin. I must of taken this thing apart 10 times now. I did not try the BS3 with the standard AM4 mount because it would not work w/o a dedicated fan on it. The air from below would jam right into the wall of the cooler due to the wrong fin orientation. The only way that cooler even works with the intel kit is because it is the same mount kit from one of their other coolers, and it just happens to fit correctly on the BS3. Well, it did fit. Something seems to be up with mine.
If the case was slightly wider, to allow the fan to be put on the BS3 then yes, it would work fine.
I am printing a bracket for the C7 that will allow a different fan to be installed. I doubt it will work however, as the C7 sits very close to the side panel. If the bracket with the fan is any thicker at all, I don't believe it will fit but I will check later on.

@KSliger do you have that printer file handy so I can print a bracket for the 545lt cooler? If not, how do I order one from you.

I'll be interested to see what your results are with the bracket on the C7. Due to your experience I started researching the C7 and came across the bracket. I assume you will be using a Noctua slim fan for testing? I'm currently on the fence between the 560 and 580. Based on your experience I think I'm going to go with vented panels on both sides so I think a C7 with a Noctua slim fan may be the best balance between cooling and noise.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@tuanster1119 Just did a little testing and it was actually hotter with the Noctura fan on the C7 heatsink. About 5c. I think it is due to the fan being soooo close to the window it can't breathe. It is a touch quieter because this fan is quieter than the stock C7 one but I am going to be switching back. It seems a hair higher with the Noc fan on. Who knows though, my stuff has been doing odd things lately. Case in point: the BS3 issue.
I may try the Noctura L9a since I have it here. Nothing to loose at this point. Going to bide my time till the sff AIO comes in.

deprecatedcoder

Cable Smoosher
May 10, 2019
So I just came across this line of cases and I really love them, so much so that I just scanned through this whole thread.

I know there is a top handle coming, but what I am really interested in is if there is any possibility of something like this, either officially or really just whether I would be able to make it work myself (not afraid to customize).

I tried looking through as many pics as I could find, but it isn't totally clear to me -- is the spine directly up against, and riveted to, the rear of the case? Is there any room/hope for this?

It looks like I could definitely do it horizontally along the bottom because of the space behind there, but I think in terms of ease of carrying, this would be a better spot.

Alternatively, how quickly/easily removable will the top handle be? I'm looking to have this thing live under one of my monitors so not having that sticking up the top would really nice. It's going to also be a portable VR rig so having a handle really is key (already spoiled with my ASRock M8).

Apologies if any of this has been covered and I missed it.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
@tuanster1119 Just did a little testing and it was actually hotter with the Noctura fan on the C7 heatsink. About 5c. I think it is due to the fan being soooo close to the window it can't breathe. It is a touch quieter because this fan is quieter than the stock C7 one but I am going to be switching back. It seems a hair higher with the Noc fan on. Who knows though, my stuff has been doing odd things lately. Case in point: the BS3 issue.
I may try the Noctura L9a since I have it here. Nothing to loose at this point. Going to bide my time till the sff AIO comes in.
Could you do a quick test with the panel off? I'm planning on doing a build with the vented panels and I'm curious if a C7 with a fan swap would work well.

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
ask u/forg0t on reddit. My 645LT shipped out as well and I have a 120 to 92mm bracket on the way from him.

Thanks for the tip. I actually found a model for an offset flat adapter on Thingiverse and remembered that my place of employment has an engineering department with a 3D printer. I asked nicely and they were kind enough to hook me up.

Won't have a chance to hook everything up till tomorrow evening at the earliest, but I'm optimistic.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for the tip. I actually found a model for an offset flat adapter on Thingiverse and remembered that my place of employment has an engineering department with a 3D printer. I asked nicely and they were kind enough to hook me up.

Won't have a chance to hook everything up till tomorrow evening at the earliest, but I'm optimistic.
Please post your results once everything is hooked up. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to obtain the 645LT since DHL doesn’t ship to PO boxes. I’ll probably go semi-passive with the AXP-100 Copper C65 and 2 NF A-12x25 fans.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
@tuanster1119 at your request, I removed the side panel and tested again. Temps on cpu went from 85 to 69c lol. Definitely was starved for air with the window so close. As for the gpu however, it didn't like the other side being off, which is understandable. Temps on it went from 71 to 80c. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot I appreciate it. That makes me feel way better about going with the vented panels. It sounds like semi passive mode is a bit of a balancing act.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thanks a lot I appreciate it. That makes me feel way better about going with the vented panels. It sounds like semi passive mode is a bit of a balancing act.

The air is going to flow in the path of least resistance for sure. I haven't tested it, but ducting the CPU side to force the air to the CPU cooler probably would help quite a bit in the semi-passive config.

wickemu

Efficiency Noob
May 19, 2017
What's the current ETA on the handle and on custom colors? I read that those should be expected soon and am trying to decide when to pull the trigger.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
The air is going to flow in the path of least resistance for sure. I haven't tested it, but ducting the CPU side to force the air to the CPU cooler probably would help quite a bit in the semi-passive config.

To be fair, @KSliger said to not use the C7 with a window or solid panel. Makes sense. Even if you were to duct, there isn't enough room for the cpu to breathe. It works OK with the stock C7. If you get a bracket and mount the Noctura fan however, it is even closer to the side panel. Works great though with the side panel off.
I may get another side panel and measure the dimensions and make a cutout so the fan is drawing from the outside instead of the glass. Not sure what that would do to the gpu side however. Should be much better than the entire side being off though I would think.
Easier to just get a vented panel but again, gpu side doesnt seem to do well with a mix of panels.

edit. Went to buy 2 vented panels to test and the shipping was more than the panels. @KSliger that is hard to swallow. Im in the US as well.

Last edited: