Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
So far I've just let the Asus auto-tuner do it's thing which OC'd the 9600k to 4.7ghz and hit a max CPU temp of 88

When it's not running a benchmark, it's inaudible. The CPU fan sits around 1100 RPM on the L9i and the bottom fans idles around 400 RPM. I can't hear either of them with my head pressed against the panels

CPU and mobo temps are both hovering around 45 ºC at idle which feels a bit high but without being able to hear the fans as it is I'm not too worried about it.

I haven't tested GPU temps but the bottom fans blow right across it's heatsink fins so I imagine it will be pretty good?

It does everything as good as I hoped it would, it looks great, and it fits cleanly behind my monitor on my desk without making a sound. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sweet desk setup! 45C on Sys Temp is excellent. The A4 my friend has is usually running 60C+ on motherboard temp sensor, and after long periods of gaming it's often 85C.

I find in most games I play (SC2, KSP, Cities Skylines, CS:Go, etc) that my GPU fans don't even come on, and in BFV and GTAV the GPU fans are on the lowest speed at most. If you do get some time anything on GPU temps during gaming would be really good info!

Glad you're happy with the noise levels too!

Mind if I post this picture / build log on the User Builds tab of the case?

Reactions: Sahaj

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
So how easy is it to set up bifurcated SLI GPU's on an ITX system?

Interested in picking up a couple of ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo cards instead of a single 2080ti and watercooling them since it would work out to only slightly more money - but not sure if there is much of a performance defecit to bifurcation or if it's a tricky process to set up?

Or does the system automatically detect and identify that the PCI-e lane is bifurcated?

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017

Interested in picking up a couple of ASUS RTX 2080 Turbo cards instead of a single 2080ti and watercooling them since it would work out to only slightly more money - but not sure if there is much of a performance defecit to bifurcation or if it's a tricky process to set up?

Or does the system automatically detect and identify that the PCI-e lane is bifurcated?
IIRC the drivers read firmware identifiers to see if the motherboard is on the supported hardware list in the driver installer.

There are ways of getting around this, but are tedious and difficult to do if you're not a subject matter expert.

If you take a look at the Linus Tech Tops video of doing SLI on a mining GPU you can get a decent idea of some of the hoops.

Video in question, where supposedly it bypasses motherboard check, but you would have to redo it every driver update, which is the reason I'll probably just use it as a dual-headed machine for dual VR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tazpr and KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

There is no / little performance penalty on bifurcation per testing done by @LukeD here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/pci-e-bifurcation.1398/page-6

He had a good write up on it in there for what he did to make it work.

Also a very small performance hit from reducing the card bandwidth from 16x to 8x according to GamersNexus:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

You must select a motherboard that has a BIOS that will let you configure bifurcation, it will not be automatically detected.

Gigabyte and ASRock boards with Z390, Z370, X399, or X99 are currently the only ones that support bifurcation.

Supermicro and ASRock Rack boards almost all support bifurcation as well.

@FAQBytes also has good points about the difficulty of it. Hopefully bifurcation become more mainstream in the next few years, certainly is getting better.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Since X570 is being developed in-house by AMD, and bifurcation was one of the main bonuses advertised for X3/470, I'm hoping that the next Gen AMD boards will have more reliable bifurcation support.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Sigh. It's always something. After many hours of testing why my machine won't power on, it seems I have a bad power button for the case.
I tried everything outside the case wouldnt power on swap to an Intel motherboard outside the case wouldn't fire on. Grabbed my inwin case and plug in the power button boom fired right up. Look back in the sliger power button and nothing.
I email support hopefully I can get a white top piece overnighted to try again Thursday.
@KSliger help lol. I tried both power and power LED.
I have a power button that functions the same way as the one that came but it's too big to fit the sliger top panel. It works also.

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Since X570 is being developed in-house by AMD, and bifurcation was one of the main bonuses advertised for X3/470, I'm hoping that the next Gen AMD boards will have more reliable bifurcation support.
I have an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX which I believe supports it as I saw it in the BIOS recently.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I have an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX which I believe supports it as I saw it in the BIOS recently.
Yeah, Intel has all around better support for bifurcation. AMD 300 and 400 series chipsets were sub-contracted to Asmedia, and it was also a brand new CPU architecture, versus Intel's Core arch that's been around for nearly a decade by now. I'm hoping that with Zen 2 and X570 bifurcation will be more widely supported.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Sigh. It's always something. After many hours of testing why my machine won't power on, it seems I have a bad power button for the case.
I tried everything outside the case wouldnt power on swap to an Intel motherboard outside the case wouldn't fire on. Grabbed my inwin case and plug in the power button boom fired right up. Look back in the sliger power button and nothing.
I email support hopefully I can get a white top piece overnighted to try again Thursday.
@KSliger help lol. I tried both power and power LED.
I have a power button that functions the same way as the one that came but it's too big to fit the sliger top panel. It works also.

Thank you for narrowing this down.

Also advised another person who is having issues powering the system on to check switch.

Might be a bad batch. Will check our stock tomorrow and get you and him tested replacements.

Anyone else has trouble with it please let me know!

Reactions: wsgroves and Sahaj

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@KSliger I think it might be the wires and how they go up into the rubber mount. They are very thin and quite flexible. What are the dyemensions on that button? If you guys don't have any and it's going to be awhile, I'll just grab one from Amazon if they have them.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
IRC the drivers read firmware identifiers to see if the motherboard is on the supported hardware list in the driver installer.

There are ways of getting around this, but are tedious and difficult to do if you're not a subject matter expert.

If you take a look at the Linus Tech Tops video of doing SLI on a mining GPU you can get a decent idea of some of the hoops.

Video in question, where supposedly it bypasses motherboard check, but you would have to redo it every driver update, which is the reason I'll probably just use it as a dual-headed machine for dual VR.

There's a better way than hacking the drivers - hack the UEFI BIOS to add the SLI Certificate.

https://www.win-raid.com/t2717f16-G...nboard-SLI-compatible-without-a-BIOS-mod.html

This will then work with stock drivers, but you can't use UEFI Secure Boot. However, Secure Boot off is much less noticeable than allowing Unsigned Drivers.

Still not recommended. I think it will take a large SI building an SLI ITX system with bifurcation to get a motherboard manufacturer to bother getting SLI approved. You can, however, do CrossFire without any cert required using BiFurcation, so maybe Navi will be our savior.

Reactions: Sahaj and FAQBytes

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
There's a better way than hacking the drivers - hack the UEFI BIOS to add the SLI Certificate.

https://www.win-raid.com/t2717f16-G...nboard-SLI-compatible-without-a-BIOS-mod.html

This will then work with stock drivers, but you can't use UEFI Secure Boot. However, Secure Boot off is much less noticeable than allowing Unsigned Drivers.

Still not recommended. I think it will take a large SI building an SLI ITX system with bifurcation to get a motherboard manufacturer to bother getting SLI approved. You can, however, do CrossFire without any cert required using BiFurcation, so maybe Navi will be our savior.
Honestly I'm very interested in seeing Intel's solution since they're going back to multi-gpu/introducing chiplet design.
As such they have to have some sort of "infinity fabric" style interconnect, meaning the hardware is already in place. The only difference being latency due to distance.

Also, thanks for reminding me of that hack.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Honestly I'm very interested in seeing Intel's solution since they're going back to multi-gpu/introducing chiplet design.
As such they have to have some sort of "infinity fabric" style interconnect, meaning the hardware is already in place. The only difference being latency due to distance.

Also, thanks for reminding me of that hack.

Are you referring to the Intel Xe slides from WCCFtech? That was an April Fools joke, if there's something else I'd be interested in seeing a link

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Are you referring to the Intel Xe slides from WCCFtech? That was an April Fools joke, if there's something else I'd be interested in seeing a link
Looks like I've been got hard.

I noticed that they mentioned d3d14, but figured they were working with Microsoft on the matter since I know Intel has been working on the merging of system memory and storage and these GPUs may have been that first step.

Aside from that everything seemed believable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel moved away from the monolithic design of current GPUs as they have been working on for CPUs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more truth than not in that joke based on the way the market is moving.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Looks like I've been got hard.

I noticed that they mentioned d3d14, but figured they were working with Microsoft on the matter since I know Intel has been working on the merging of system memory and storage and these GPUs may have been that first step.

Aside from that everything seemed believable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel moved away from the monolithic design of current GPUs as they have been working on for CPUs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more truth than not in that joke based on the way the market is moving.

It will all be obsolete once the 100 core, 1.4 PHz ibrite RGB CPU goes up for sale on Newegg.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
First shots of it assembled. Waiting on new power switch and some cables.
The 2700x CPU does fine but the Strix 2080 Ti has issues. Stock settings it reached 86 in Metro, while the CPU was only
67. I have the top Noctura fans to throw in but I wanted to test these Arctic ones that match nicely first. I doubt the fan swap alone can get the Ti down to manageable levels though.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
The 2700x CPU does fine but the Strix 2080 Ti has issues. Stock settings it reached 86 in Metro, while the CPU was only
67. I have the top Noctura fans to throw in but I wanted to test these Arctic ones that match nicely first. I doubt the fan swap alone can get the Ti down to manageable levels though.

I wonder if you could squeeze some slim 15mm fans up top to bring the GPU temps down. If you want to experiment with what you've got, I'd be curious to see what happens if you place the 2 noctua's you have on top of the chassis pulling air out and see how that affects the GPU thermals.