Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
@KSliger I hadn't seen it asked before, but I know I am going to forget to ask when I leave work and I found a hot minute to ask (in a customer meeting).

Would it be possible to order a chassis without the notch cutouts on the top of each side panel and the top panel?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Wow! Is that for the SM550 in “semi-passive” mode? Or is it with the vented panels?

That is with the unvented solid aluminum panel on an L9i.

As far as I understand it, the current state of SLI on non-certified motherboards is pretty grim. Newer driver versions make the automated systems not work well (you have to hex-edit files) and you have to go through driver signing shenanigans, plus disabling Secureboot and such in order to get things to even install on Windows 10. Some games, like PUBG, won't run with strict driver signing disabled.

I'm much more interested in Bifurcation for something like a 10Gigabit Ethernet adapter with a 2-slot GPU. SLI really needs an mATX motherboard to function correctly these days, and even then it's questionable on how valuable SLI is in the first place, and I say that as someone with two 1080s in SLI.

If one could get a motherboard manufacturer to go through the SLI signing process, it might make more sense.

Figured capture cards, 10GbE, and M.2 RAIDs were going to be the main use for consumers.

@KSliger In the larger 560, can I fit a 2.5 slot card in the outer slot? Or will that interfere with the side panel? I have a Aorus 1080 Ti.

Can only put a 2 slot card in the outer slot on bifurcation. That card unfortunately is going to be hitting the side panel. The RTX 2070 I hve is wider, and it is impossible to put in outer slot.

I would caution you on that - I'm also looking at the Black Ridge for being sexy as hell, but SFF bros over at Dr. Zaber did a mock-up of how poorly it fits over some motherboards. Not sure how well it will work in the SM550. Would love to see some more detailed internals pics from those with the case in order to keep planning the build!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/b3pwf9/z/ej2dbmc

Good info, won't list it for now. Thank you @SaperPL

@KSliger I hadn't seen it asked before, but I know I am going to forget to ask when I leave work and I found a hot minute to ask (in a customer meeting).

Would it be possible to order a chassis without the notch cutouts on the top of each side panel and the top panel?

SM570 and SM580 will not have those top edge cutouts. Those cutouts mostly exist to mask that the panels do not align perfectly.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I have the Big Shuriken 3 but I do not have an opinion on it yet. My InWin A1 is configured with the Strix 2080 Ti in the bottom and a fan right behind it as exhaust with the BS3 on my 2700x@3.7 with no rear case fan. Hits 80c in that config.
On my 9600k system with the same setup but a added exhaust fan by cpu it was much more managable at around 70c.

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
Totally new to SFF, so bear with me.

Looking at getting an L9A for a Ryzen 2600X in the 560, sounds like j-hack may be selling some L9a 120mm adapters in the near future . If I replace the 92x14 fan with a static pressure 120x25 Noctua redux, and the adapter adds 3.7 according to an old post, that puts the height at 51.7mm. Should I stick with the tempered glass sides? Or at that point would I be better with the vented panel?

Also, as of right now I'm planning on two more redux SP 120x25 fans for bottom intake. Would that be sufficient?

Or would I be better off getting the Noctua ippcs, a bigass heatsink, and going for semi-passive cooling?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Or would I be better off getting the Noctua ippcs, a bigass heatsink, and going for semi-passive cooling?

IPPCs behave the same as NF-F12/F14s at sub 1500 RPMs, but can ramp all the way up to 3000 RPMs where they sound like a quadcoptor taking off. Don't get me wrong they move a ton of air, but having put 4x 140mm IPPCs on a 280mm rad once to see how high I could clock a 5960x, I can say with certainty that you don't want to be anywhere near them without noise cancelling headphones.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Totally new to SFF, so bear with me.

Looking at getting an L9A for a Ryzen 2600X in the 560, sounds like j-hack may be selling some L9a 120mm adapters in the near future . If I replace the 92x14 fan with a static pressure 120x25 Noctua redux, and the adapter adds 3.7 according to an old post, that puts the height at 51.7mm. Should I stick with the tempered glass sides? Or at that point would I be better with the vented panel?

Also, as of right now I'm planning on two more redux SP 120x25 fans for bottom intake. Would that be sufficient?

You would be be fine with the window panels, but note they are not tempered glass - we unfortunately cannot get tempered glass in the US for a reasonable price. They are impact modified acrylic, so it will never crack or break.

I would personally go with the semi-passive mode on the CPU, and keep the fans on the GPU if it's a 2 slot card, and window panels on both side.

I'm running the Shadow Rock LP on a 6600K and a 1070, the fans on the 1070 are rarely on and the fans in bottom are maybe going 25% to 50% speed most the time playing light games like CS:GO, KSP, Cities Skylines, SC2, Fortnite, etc. and then the GPU fans are on and lower fans are maybe 50% to 75% when playing BF5 and GTA V. Only on benchmarking does it go to 100% speed and 80C.

Reactions: Sahaj and SashaLag

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
and keep the fans on the GPU if it's a 2 slot card

Out of curiosity, is this to imply that thicker GPU's may be better off with the fans/shroud removed in a case with unvented panels on each side? I'm running an EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra, a 2.75 slot card, and am very curious about what the optimal cooling options for it would be.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Nice. Good to know it works. Do you happen to have a picture? Perhaps it will give a better idea for others on the potential conflict it might have for their specific mobo.

Here are pictures of the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 mounted in the correct orientation using the Intel bracket for use in the 550 case.
There are issues with clearance on the Asus Strix B450 itx board. I had to remove the wireless/bt card or
at least remove it from its little case.
The cooler works fine in the Gigabyte Z390 Itx board because you can natively mount it in any orientation. AM4 mounting system is a pain in this regard.
We got lucky that Scythe took an odd approach with their adapter. I would assume if you are on AM4, mounting the heatsink fins in the correct orientation with other coolers in these Sliger cases may be a challenge.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
There are issues with clearance on the Asus Strix B450 itx board. I had to remove the wireless/bt card or
at least remove it from its little case.

How bad did the interference look? Maybe shaving a few mm off the fins in that little area with a dremel could do the trick.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Pretty decent amount needs trimmed. I definitely could shave some of those off, and I may in the future. It was just a mounting test at that point to see how it worked. You could shave the housing for the combo card as well or use it w/o the casing. I don't like messing with those little antenna wires however as they are a royal pain for me.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Pretty decent amount needs trimmed. I definitely could shave some of those off, and I may in the future. It was just a mounting test at that point to see how it worked. You could shave the housing for the combo card as well or use it w/o the casing. I don't like messing with those little antenna wires however as they are a royal pain for me.

Yeah, the latter was what I was worried about. I'd sooner brick the wifi card than get it slimmed down to fit under the stock fins.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Love how easy the AM4 mounting system is but it needs to be fixed so you can install a cooler in any direction, or it would be nice if the cooler makers would include something that gets the job done as well.

Reactions: Sahaj and raulnorry

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
There is a 65mm version of the AXP100 Copper (with or without graphene coat) which would be 51mm without the fan. If semi-passive works out, that would be the heatsink I'd choose.

That's definitely a good find, I just wish that A. I could find better official information for it, and B. Any of those AXP-100 coolers were available outside of Taobao

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Shadow Rock LP does NOT work with the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX, it might with a slim fan but that would not cool it.

If you have this board you should look into something else, L9i is recommended.

Reactions: Shinken1 and Sahaj