Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I really really hope you can make it work. My biggest hope for the SM570/580 case is to have the CPU and GPU on the same loop. Otherwise, outside of the side-by-side layout, there's not a lot of benefit of this over the NCASE M1, which supports 240mm AIO, 3slot GPU, and it's <13L.

In an all-air config, the SM550/560 are really interesting, however. Very excited to see the testing in the wild with them.

Being able to do an easy / nice custom loop for GPU and CPU in this is one of the top priorities. Another prioritiy is being able to showcase it via the windows. Think this design will hit the optimal spot for compact custom loop and windowed showcase, without being too large or too small.

I'll need to hunt down the C7 Cu cooler with a custom fan bracket to mount the 120x15mm noctua.

Edit: Can’t find the C7 anywhere. I’ll go the easier route with the l9a + NF-A9 92x25mm fan.

L9a would be fine, C7 noise is terrible.

Good find, will recommend this.

I just ordered a sm560. Hopefully it actually ships on the advertised date. Given up on waiting for the Ghost S1. This also is the case I've been waiting for. 3 slot design for big cards, the sandwich or whatever it's called layout, two intake fans at the bottom.

The only thing I would like is if the power button was positioned with the IO on the side or on the front bottom. I like the look of it better than on the top. Additionally, for those of us making a gaming PC for the living room, the top placement is not very convenient for a lot of TV stands and such, which are built around horizontally oriented revives. Like that other guy said though, 99% is pretty good. I like the aesthetic of the Ghost S1 a bit better I think askin with the power button placement, but it's lack of 3 slot support is not ideal as is the lack of front IO.

Will there be a filter kit for all models? Right now the one linked for the sm560 is the one for the sm550.

The 550 kit works with the 560, both have the same 2x 120mm fan cutout and feet positioning. Top also should be the same if doing reverse airflow.

It looks like there is a new version of the Pallas...the dimensions look the same, but this new pallas has a different heatpipe configuration and direct touch heatpipes. I think I'm going to order one of these and see if I can get it to fit in the 560, even if it requires some gentle heatpipe bending.

Old version of pallas:

New version of Pallas:

That should whomp in thermals, that's perfect. All the test results must be on the old version.

Reactions: Sahaj

madmaxx890

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2019
It looks like there is a new version of the Pallas...the dimensions look the same, but this new pallas has a different heatpipe configuration and direct touch heatpipes. I think I'm going to order one of these and see if I can get it to fit in the 560, even if it requires some gentle heatpipe bending.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but if the dimensions are the same as the old Pallas I can't see how it would fit. The fins and the ends of the heat pipes overhang the side of an ITX board about an inch and will run into either the back of the case or the PSU. Though if it can be made to fit I'd pick one of these in a second.

Gallery of Palllas overhang on Asus Z390-i:

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I'd love to be proven wrong, but if the dimensions are the same as the old Pallas I can't see how it would fit. The fins and the ends of the heat pipes overhang the side of an ITX board about an inch and will run into either the back of the case or the PSU. Though if it can be made to fit I'd pick one of these in a second.

Gallery of Palllas overhang on Asus Z390-i:

That's honestly what I'm expecting, but I'm also persistent as all hell and if I can find a way to make it work, it could help a lot of other people too. Worst case, as long as I don't break the cooler completely, I'll just end up having to return it. I'm also getting a phanteks PH-TC12LS since that's the hypothetical best performing passive cooler that is easily available and can be mounted in the correct orientation.

madmaxx890

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2019
That's honestly what I'm expecting, but I'm also persistent as all hell and if I can find a way to make it work, it could help a lot of other people too. Worst case, as long as I don't break the cooler completely, I'll just end up having to return it. I'm also getting a phanteks PH-TC12LS since that's the hypothetical best performing passive cooler that is easily available and can be mounted in the correct orientation.

It looks like that new Pallas may be a bit smaller - uses a 120mm fan vs 140mm on the original.
Old Pallas 140: 153×150×68 mm
NEW Pallas 120: 130x147x68 mm

Shaving off that 23 mm in width seems like it would make it fit no problem, but you do end up with a bit smaller of a cooler

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
It looks like that new Pallas may be a bit smaller - uses a 120mm fan vs 140mm on the original.
Old Pallas 140: 153×150×68 mm
NEW Pallas 120: 130x147x68 mm

Shaving off that 23 mm in width seems like it would make it fit no problem, but you do end up with a bit smaller of a cooler
Thank you for finding those changed measurements, I must have overlooked them! Now I want to look at the weight to see if that changed...I hope the direct touch heatpipes, new heatpipe layout, and black coating (maybe?) will keep performance on par with the older model.

Edit: So the 140mm Pallas weighed 420g with only heatsink, the 120mm Pallas weighs 550g including fan...I wonder how much the 13mm thick fan they use weighs, but I doubt it's 130g. So it's even possible that the 120mm while smaller in dimensions has a greater thermal mass.

madmaxx890

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2019
Edit: So the 140mm Pallas weighed 420g with only heatsink, the 120mm Pallas weighs 550g including fan...I wonder how much the 13mm thick fan they use weighs, but I doubt it's 130g. So it's even possible that the 120mm while smaller in dimensions has a greater thermal mass.

You're right, that fan clocks in at 98g (https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=110) plus probably another 2g for the clip mounts

So the Pallas added 30g despite the shrink. Nice. Can't wait to see how it performs. I've been eagerly waiting for a shipping confirmation on the SM550

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
You're right, that fan clocks in at 98g (https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=110) plus probably another 2g for the clip mounts

So the Pallas added 30g despite the shrink. Nice. Can't wait to see how it performs. I've been eagerly waiting for a shipping confirmation on the SM550

I'm extremely excited for my SM560 to come in. My current build is a 2400G with a Cryorig C7 Cu w/ Noctua NF-12x15 and a EVGA 970 SC in a NCase M1. I'm planning on transplanting that into the SM560 and testing temperatures with the current heatsinks, switching out the GPU cooler for a Raijintek Morpheus II, and testing the Pallas 120 vs the Phanteks PH-TC12LS in the passive config. I also have Corsair SP120, Noctua Chromax 120, and Noctua NF-A12x25 that I'll be doing performance testing with the passive cooler configs. Once Zen 3 and Navi come out, I'll be replacing the hardware with those, and I should be good to go :)

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
haha I'm going to be testing a 2700x and Strix 2080 Ti in the SM550. Satan help me =O. I know I will have to undervolt etc already. I am gonna grab a SM560 as well, depending on how long this one takes to arrive. Trying to play with cTDP settings but the board and cpu seem to not care what I put in.

Reactions: raulnorry

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
Will the 560 have improved GPU thermals for 2 slot coolers with the extra space available on the GPU side?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Will the 560 have improved GPU thermals for 2 slot coolers with the extra space available on the GPU side?
Likely not hugely, however noise will be better due to lack of turbulence with more distance between the panel and the card fans.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
What are people's thoughts on the vented panel vs acrylic window on the GPU side? Assuming I have 4 140mm fans in an SM580, would the GPU have sufficient enough air that having a vented panel wouldn't make much difference, or would the vents be significantly beneficial to the GPU regardless of how much air the fans are pushing?

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
What are people's thoughts on the vented panel vs acrylic window on the GPU side? Assuming I have 4 140mm fans in an SM580, would the GPU have sufficient enough air that having a vented panel wouldn't make much difference, or would the vents be significantly beneficial to the GPU regardless of how much air the fans are pushing?

I think that having the non-vented side panels would ensure better hot air exhaust, and the airflow from bottom to top will keep the card cool enough without needing vents. It's hard to know without having full-on testing though, there's a lot of variables at play.

Reactions: Bioforce

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I can not speak on the upcoming bigger brother, the 580. The 550 though at least is better to have the panels closed as it will disrupt the airflow if the sides are open. I would imagine the 580 is a different beast altogether though.

Reactions: Bioforce

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I think it will also depend on the card being used and the amount of space between the panel.

A dual slot cooler with more than 20mm of space should be fine as it leaves heaps of space for the air to move, but if you have a completely triple slot card like an EVGA 2080ti FTW3 I think it will choke the card and increase temperatures.

2.5 slot cards like the Stix or Aorus Xtreme I'm not sure about though.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
This worked jir! The intel mounting brackets do indeed work as you anticipated. My only issue is, the cooler hits the dumb wireless card but I can remove that easily enough. If I mount it swapped, it hits my g.skill memory heatsinks. Even corsair low profile hits it slightly. I will stick with the faster memory and ditch the wireless card and just use it as usb. Thanks! At least we know that works.

What is the scope of delivery of the Shuriken 3?

For the Fuma, the AM4 bracket is the same as Intel's one (see Fuma manual, for AMD system, Step 3). Can you check if the Intel's bracket (item 3 of the BS3 manual) has the extra holes? If so, you can use those holes and mount it like the Fuma and rotate the cooler by 90 degree, as long as there's no components on the motherboard that obstruct it.

See below for the link of the manual:
Big Shuriken 3 manual: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/9ccab7_a02ac13ac35545d38ae149a38f549d66.pdf
Fuma manual: ftp://ftp.scythe-eu.com/Manuals/CPU-Cooler/Fuma-Rev_B.pdf