Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@KSliger How much space is there in the GPU compartment space?
DDC pumps are 65mm at their widest and I know triple slot GPU's are 60mm + space for the Riser and space to side panel, would a DDC pump/reservoir combo work in this space if you use a short enough graphics card like a founder edition GPU?

If so, is there any potential for a DDC pump bracket that mounts at the end of the GPU compartment to allow for mounting of a DDC pump?

Reactions: Bioforce

rjeftw

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2019
I think it will also depend on the card being used and the amount of space between the panel.

A dual slot cooler with more than 20mm of space should be fine as it leaves heaps of space for the air to move, but if you have a completely triple slot card like an EVGA 2080ti FTW3 I think it will choke the card and increase temperatures.

2.5 slot cards like the Stix or Aorus Xtreme I'm not sure about though.

I'm kinda curious to see how my 2080Ti FTW3 is in there... wonder if the Hydrocopper for it will fit since I have that too.

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Confirmation from one of our OEM customers on this that the 9900k and 2080ti are working well in all their tests on just an L9i, from their email:

Currently use the SF600. Haven't had issues running a 9900k + RTX 6000 or 2080 Ti, but no overclocking.

For CPU coolers we've just been using the NH-L9i, which seems to do okay on the 9900k. Temps stay around 77-80C under full load and it still boosts to 4.3 GHz on all cores. I've got a BK002 Shadow Rock LP on the way to test without the fan. I think using 2 of the Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM fans is carrying the heat sink pretty far right now so the BK002 should be even better.

Hopefully a reviewer or someone on here can get more data, but looks good so far.

@KSliger How much space is there in the GPU compartment space?
DDC pumps are 65mm at their widest and I know triple slot GPU's are 60mm + space for the Riser and space to side panel, would a DDC pump/reservoir combo work in this space if you use a short enough graphics card like a founder edition GPU?

If so, is there any potential for a DDC pump bracket that mounts at the end of the GPU compartment to allow for mounting of a DDC pump?

It is about ~63mm(H) x ~75mm(W) inside for DDC pumps around a reference length GPU water block and with 25mm fans on 30mm radiator.

Could possibly use no fans on 30mm radiator up top, as the bottom two 140mm will be pushing a reasonable amount of air, and the only exhaust on the case is through the radiator. That would give you a full 88mm (H) x 75mm (W).

Will get some better dimensional drawing soon to explain this.

There will also be tube pass through grommets on the rear, and mount points for an optional external res/pump on the upper rear blank area behind the radiator.

Really want to make this case capable of SLI on custom loops via bifurcated riser.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
It is about ~63mm(H) x ~75mm(W) inside for DDC pumps around a reference length GPU water block and with 25mm fans on 30mm radiator.

Could possibly use no fans on 30mm radiator up top, as the bottom two 140mm will be pushing a reasonable amount of air, and the only exhaust on the case is through the radiator. That would give you a full 88mm (H) x 75mm (W).

There will also be tube pass through grommets on the rear, and mount points for an optional external res/pump on the upper rear blank area behind the radiator.

Really want to make this case capable of SLI on custom loops via bifurcated riser.
That sounds really cool!

Would the external Pump/Res mount similarly to the external reservoir you could get for the NCase?

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Confirmation from one of our OEM customers on this that the 9900k and 2080ti are working well in all their tests on just an L9i, from their email:

Hopefully a reviewer or someone on here can get more data, but looks good so far.

@KSliger Would Dan's Black Ridge cooler be a better match as opposed to the L9a/i in the SM550 and 560? Looks like the height is 47mm.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html

Reactions: Sahaj

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Would Dan's Black Ridge cooler be a better match as opposed to the L9a/i in the SM550 and 560? Looks like the height is 47mm.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html

That would work great! I will add it to the list.

That sounds really cool!

Would the external Pump/Res mount similarly to the external reservoir you could get for the NCase?

I think that same one would work, but I haven't seen it in stock in a long long time.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
I may go with this instead of the l9a (if it's readily available). It says it can fit a 120mm fan with VLP ram (so the lpx ram will work at 31mm).

Edit: @KSliger could you include a motherboard compatibility list for the Black Ridge cooler? I've read that some motherboards have had issues with mounting.

Edit 2: Just realized the 120 won't work with the lpx ram.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Cool! Thank you SFF Network, and thank you Jake!

Also for another project we did to reference we also did Jeffinslaw "Project mATX" back in 2015 or so.
https://smallformfactor.net/articles/project-matx-an-interview-with-jeffinslaw

I may go with this instead of the l9a (if it's readily available). It says it can fit a 120mm fan with VLP ram (so the lpx ram will work at 31mm).

Edit: @KSliger could you include a motherboard compatibility list for the Black Ridge cooler? I've read that some motherboards have had issues with mounting.

I would go with the L9a, it runs very quiet and the fans in bottom help it a ton.

Currently working on a motherboard/cooler compatibility list to refine the product spec page a bit more. Hopefully as people get their cases and reviewers come online we can get a better idea. Will have all our testing on various coolers/fans/GPUs/3-slot vs 2-slot etc, done by early next week.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Cool! Thank you SFF Network, and thank you Jake!

Also for another project we did to reference we also did Jeffinslaw "Project mATX" back in 2015 or so.
https://smallformfactor.net/articles/project-matx-an-interview-with-jeffinslaw

I would go with the L9a, it runs very quiet and the fans in bottom help it a ton.

Currently working on a motherboard/cooler compatibility list to refine the product spec page a bit more. Hopefully as people get their cases and reviewers come online we can get a better idea. Will have all our testing on various coolers/fans/GPUs/3-slot vs 2-slot etc, done by early next week.
Looking forward to the results.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018

Wow! Is that for the SM550 in “semi-passive” mode? Or is it with the vented panels?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

As far as I understand it, the current state of SLI on non-certified motherboards is pretty grim. Newer driver versions make the automated systems not work well (you have to hex-edit files) and you have to go through driver signing shenanigans, plus disabling Secureboot and such in order to get things to even install on Windows 10. Some games, like PUBG, won't run with strict driver signing disabled.

I'm much more interested in Bifurcation for something like a 10Gigabit Ethernet adapter with a 2-slot GPU. SLI really needs an mATX motherboard to function correctly these days, and even then it's questionable on how valuable SLI is in the first place, and I say that as someone with two 1080s in SLI.

If one could get a motherboard manufacturer to go through the SLI signing process, it might make more sense.

jirachijirachi

Caliper Novice
Jul 16, 2018
This worked jir! The intel mounting brackets do indeed work as you anticipated. My only issue is, the cooler hits the dumb wireless card but I can remove that easily enough. If I mount it swapped, it hits my g.skill memory heatsinks. Even corsair low profile hits it slightly. I will stick with the faster memory and ditch the wireless card and just use it as usb. Thanks! At least we know that works.

Nice. Good to know it works. Do you happen to have a picture? Perhaps it will give a better idea for others on the potential conflict it might have for their specific mobo.

Reactions: wsgroves

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017

So basically that's my intention with the 580. I did some theory crafting with the Dan C4 for a dual slot dual GPU build with a motherboard with native Bifurcation for a dual-headed VR machine. I'm definitely going to have to change some things around, but it's definitely doable. I'll be recreating the inside of the case in CAD and testing various setups likely this weekend.

I'll be sure to report back on findings. Ideally it will use dedicated components, but using Alphacool Eisbaer and Eiswolf components should a dedicated pump not be possible is a decent alternative.
In this instance the loop would be 280 rad->EisBaer CPU block-> Eiswolf GPU block (Behind)-> EK GPU block -> 280 rad (will have to cad out to figure out cleanest runs).

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017

Edit 2: Just realized the 120 won't work with the lpx ram.

I would caution you on that - I'm also looking at the Black Ridge for being sexy as hell, but SFF bros over at Dr. Zaber did a mock-up of how poorly it fits over some motherboards. Not sure how well it will work in the SM550. Would love to see some more detailed internals pics from those with the case in order to keep planning the build!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/b3pwf9/z/ej2dbmc

Reactions: LegendsofMace

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I would caution you on that - I'm also looking at the Black Ridge for being sexy as hell, but SFF bros over at Dr. Zaber did a mock-up of how poorly it fits over some motherboards. Not sure how well it will work in the SM550. Would love to see some more detailed internals pics from those with the case in order to keep planning the build!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/b3pwf9/z/ej2dbmc
Is the Blackridge even available anymore? I don't see it in stock on overclockers, and as far as I remember they were recalled due to poor quality control.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
For those of you that are doing custom liquid cooling in the SM580, what are your plans for the pump/reservoir? I've never done a custom loop before, but I think I would like to for this case. Hoping other people could share their thoughts on what would work and where it would fit best.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Would the l9x65 be a good fit for the case without the fan? It's pretty much a solid wall of heatsink with no air-gap and it still keeps within the keepout zones.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9x65

Also it's 340g with 51mm height with no fan per the spec page:
Height (without fan) 51 mm
Width (without fan) 95 mm
Depth (without fan) 95 mm
Weight (without fan) 340 g​

So the specs of the L9x65 look better than it performs. I looked across several reviews and for some reason the L9x65 has middling to poor performance, and Noctua themselves only recommend it for 84W TDP or lower even with their fans.

I made a post on reddit where I list out the dimensions of the compatible passive coolers, and based purely on the numbers and reviews I could find, my estimated performance ranking. https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comm...00k/ein0qbr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

One heatsink I haven't added yet is the Big Shuriken 3 since using the Intel bracket apparently allows it to be mounted on AM4 in the correct orientation, and that might perform even better than the Pallas 120.

*EDIT* I found the specs for the Big Shuriken 3, and plugging that in to the chart in the post above, here is my current ranking.

Based on the information available, the best performing heatsinks for passive cooling, keeping in mind the 55.9mm CPU cooler height limit of the SM550/560 should be:

- Raijintek Pallas 120
- Big Shuriken 3 (using intel bracket for proper orientation)
- Thermalright AXP-100 series (difficult to find without Taobao/etc)
- Cooltek CR-701 (also difficult to find)
- Phanteks PH-TC12LS

I've ordered the Pallas 120, Big Shuriken 3, and Phanteks PH-TC12LS and will be putting them head to head in my SM560 once it comes in. My CPU is a non-delidded R5 2400G, and I'll be testing both with stock clocks and CPU+GPU overclocks to push each cooler to the limit. I've also got a digital scale and calipers to do more precise measurements of the dimensions.

Last edited: