Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
@KSliger, for bottom to top airflow in the SM570, which temp sensor would make most sense to set for the PWM signal of the bottom fans? I only have a choice between CPU, VRM, and System temps in Gigabyte's SmartFan software. Or would it be better to run them in fixed RPM mode?

I have the top rad fans set to base their PWM signals off of the CPU temp, of course.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@Allhopeforhumanity, one thing I noticed is that as soon as I set the PCH Fan profile to Silent, I can't monitor it in HWMonitor anymore. But when it was using the Balance profile, it was definitely shown there. So my question is that, are you sure you are still using the Balance profile?

Yep, definitely on balanced. HWinfo64 wasn't seeing the PCH fan at all until i updated it. If I set mine to silent the fan speed still shows up but the fan stays at idle on bios/desktop and spins up to ~1k rpm under nvme use.

Keep in mind, this is all in a modified Steck (I haven't received my SM580 yet) with a down draft Scythe Big Shuriken 3, who's fan covers about half of the M.2/Chipset heat spreader, and 2x A15x12's in a 3D printed top hat exhausting ~5mm from that same heat spreader. Thus at idle the PCH sits at about 35 C and loaded I've never seen it above 55 C.

I have an EVGA CLC 280 waiting to go into the system for my swap into the SM580, and once I do I'll let you know how that affects the PCH fan speed/noise.

TWIN SUNS

Efficiency Noob
Oct 23, 2019
I tune it at the bios. I have a ncase m1, and with an AIO with the radiator on the side, the two 120 mm fans blow directly to the board, and the chipset almost never go above 50 degrees so the fan doesn´t move because with the silen fan profile it starts at 60 degrees... so passive mobo for me XD

Uh thanks but I think you've misquoted as this doesn't address my topic at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on my question?

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Oh ok, that makes sense then. Here's an interesting post about the RPM sensor in Windows. So from the looks of it, if the fan is at 0 RPM it really won't show in HWInfo64 until it ramps up. And from ramping up to zero RPM, it remains shown. This is what I've been experiencing earlier when I tested. I was confused as to why the sensor suddenly showed up and never disappeared until I closed and re-opened HWMonitor.

Since I live in a tropical country, I have way hotter temps than you have plus the fact that this system is already in an SM570. But one weird thing I noticed is this:

When I set the fan to Balance mode, I get this:

Does 3879 RPM at 52C PCH temp seem to be correct? Based on the graph, I don't think so. Based on the graph, I estimate approximately 44% PWM. So if the fan maxes out at around 4000RPM, it should just be running at 1760RPM unless the fan can max out at 8816 RPM (3879 / .44)?!!! There's something wrong here for sure.

Also, what is the difference between the PCH and System temps?

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Oh ok, that makes sense then. Here's an interesting post about the RPM sensor in Windows. So from the looks of it, if the fan is at 0 RPM it really won't show in HWInfo64 until it ramps up. And from ramping up to zero RPM, it remains shown. This is what I've been experiencing earlier when I tested. I was confused as to why the sensor suddenly showed up and never disappeared until I closed and re-opened HWMonitor.

Since I live in a tropical country, I have way hotter temps than you have plus the fact that this system is already in an SM570. But one weird thing I noticed is this:

When I set the fan to Balance mode, I get this:

Does 3879 RPM at 52C PCH temp seem to be correct? Based on the graph, I don't think so. Based on the graph, I estimate approximately 44% PWM. So if the fan maxes out at around 4000RPM, it should just be running at 1760RPM unless the fan can max out at 1816 RPM (3879 / .44)?!!! There's something wrong here for sure.

Also, what is the difference between the PCH and System temps?

Interesting. That is the same balanced plot that I see in the bios, but like you said, it doesn't seem to be reflective of the fans speeds I see either. It's also odd to me that unlike the 2 fan headers, that you can't modify the fan curve.

3879 RPM seems really high at 52C, especially since mine only gets to ~3100 at 55C. Having had weird issues with Gigabyte Bios in the past, I wouldn't doubt that its a firmware issue.

My understanding is that PCH is the thermister under the m.2/PHC shroud and the System temp is a thermister behind the PCI-E slot next to the audio circuit. See this picture:

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Interesting. That is the same balanced plot that I see in the bios, but like you said, it doesn't seem to be reflective of the fans speeds I see either. It's also odd to me that unlike the 2 fan headers, that you can't modify the fan curve.

3879 RPM seems really high at 52C, especially since mine only gets to ~3100 at 55C. Having had weird issues with Gigabyte Bios in the past, I wouldn't doubt that its a firmware issue.

My understanding is that PCH is the thermister under the m.2/PHC shroud and the System temp is a thermister behind the PCI-E slot next to the audio circuit. See this picture:

Well, I could understand why they don't allow us to make a custom fan curve for the PCH fan but it follow their built-in profiles to the teeth. Given your observation aof 3100 at 55C, I'd say that's better than mine but is still off unless the max RPM of the fan can reach 6300 RPM or so (3100 / .49). So there's definitely something amiss here.

Thanks for confirming the difference of the System vs. PCH temps.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019

Just put a tint on my sm570 today. I'm really digging the subtle RGB effects now.

Very nice! Tinted is definitely the way to go ? . Was considering doing custom tempered glass with a tint for my 580, but decided not worth it (I get lazy once I've finished a build - don't really want to change things up much).

What did you use for the tint?

Reactions: wsgroves

raiistar

Caliper Novice
Jul 19, 2019
Very nice! Tinted is definitely the way to go ? . Was considering doing custom tempered glass with a tint for my 580, but decided not worth it (I get lazy once I've finished a build - don't really want to change things up much).

What did you use for the tint?
grabbed some 35% automotive tint from autozone and used a squeegee + soap water to put it on.

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
SM580 v2 -- your input is needed!

I need everyone feedback on the SM580 v1 - only what you didn't like and think could be improved!

Will be changing the SM580 to be 14mm wider, this allows almost any 280mm radiator I can find on the market. 8mm of this will be to the CPU side so that there is a total of 63mm height for CPU pump block, GPU side will 6mm more for additional airflow.

Will be changing the handle mount / radiator mount bracket to be reversible so there isn't a correct direction to install it, had a few complaints of it being installed backwards and having to rebuild the system to get the handle to mount.

Adding one more screw to the PSU mount bracket in the front of the case so that it doesn't wiggle as much. Might remove one of the screws that attaches PSU mount bracket to the middle spine.

I am also removing the 2x rear plastic caps & 1" round holes for custom loops as I have not seen a single person use them.

Hello, for my part, still waiting Corsair Hydro adaptation to take 580.
I wonder if i should take 570 instead. I think about this case since 1 month now.

Please, can you tell me when will you plan to release 580 v1.1 with 280 mm AIO corsair compatibility?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
ASETEK 92MM 645LT

Is available on the case check out page for anyone looking to save a little and bundle the case + radiator!

Should be about a $30 savings bundling case with radiator vs buying our case + adapter, and the radiator from OCUK.

We also listed it on Amazon but Amazon is brutal with those seller fees, they're making more than I am lol.

SM580 is running behind in production!

Sorry to everyone that ordered these last week, we almost had them ready today but did not want to rush and possibly miss quality concerns.

PM me if you have a schedule problem such as flight or moving you need to get your case in time for or need to change ship to address.

Hello, for my part, still waiting Corsair Hydro adaptation to take 580.
I wonder if i should take 570 instead. I think about this case since 1 month now.

Please, can you tell me when will you plan to release 580 v1.1 with 280 mm AIO corsair compatibility?

Have you already purchased a radiator, or still waiting on case to pick a radiator?

The SM580 V2 is cancelled, so if you already have a Corsair H115i I would point you towards Cerberus or Cerberus X.

If you do not have a radiator picked yet the current SM580 does support 240mm radiators just like the SM570.

If you need 280mm for the SM580 I would recommend the NZXT X62.

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
ASETEK 92MM 645LT

Is available on the case check out page for anyone looking to save a little and bundle the case + radiator!

Should be about a $30 savings bundling case with radiator vs buying our case + adapter, and the radiator from OCUK.

We also listed it on Amazon but Amazon is brutal with those seller fees, they're making more than I am lol.

Sorry to everyone that ordered these last week, we almost had them ready today but did not want to rush and possibly miss quality concerns.

PM me if you have a schedule problem such as flight or moving you need to get your case in time for or need to change ship to address.

Have you already purchased a radiator, or still waiting on case to pick a radiator?

The SM580 V2 is cancelled, so if you already have a Corsair H115i I would point you towards Cerberus or Cerberus X.

If you do not have a radiator picked yet the current SM580 does support 240mm radiators just like the SM570.

Thanks for your fast reply.
I don't need absolutly 280mm, but i need to take a corsair aio. So i should go with 240 mm Hydro Series H100i RGB PLATINUM SE on SM570 .

Do you think i can use a 2,5 hdd with 15,2 mm height in front? I need to backup my data before mounting them into new config. So i want first to take external 5 to 2,5'" HDD and mount disk drive after
Thanks.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
ASETEK 92MM 645LT

To be honest 240 aio are plenty enough, especially with good fans like noctua nh a12-25 or gentle typhoon..:)

I was even thinking to try asetel 645lt in my Cerberus-X..:) Airflow will be quite good..:)

Alex Permit

Cable Smoosher
Oct 27, 2019
I've been lurking on this forum, finally ready to pull the trigger on an SM580. I have a couple of questions.

Am I correct in my reading of this thread that the sm580 will accommodate the Corsair H115i Hydro if I mount the fans on top of the radiator? I've never mounted radiator fans in a pull configuration, are there any issues I should be aware of?

will the 2080 ti Strix fit in the case? The dimensions imply they would.

Thanks.

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
H115i will be a very tight fit even in pull, you will probably scratch radiator during mounting.
Fans in pull will generally be performing better than push, however they will usually be noisier. This does not apply to Noctua A12x25 which is not noisier in pull but still performs better than in push.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I have to disagree on this one. I have tried my noctuas a12x25 in pull and the noise is clearly worse. I don't know if it's measurable or not in dBa but the noise character changes a lot is more higher pitched and it stands out more from the background

Alex Permit

Cable Smoosher
Oct 27, 2019
H115i will be a very tight fit even in pull, you will probably scratch radiator during mounting.
Fans in pull will generally be performing better than push, however they will usually be noisier. This does not apply to Noctua A12x25 which is not noisier in pull but still performs better than in push.

I have to disagree on this one. I have tried my noctuas a12x25 in pull and the noise is clearly worse. I don't know if it's measurable or not in dBa but the noise character changes a lot is more higher pitched and it stands out more from the background
The noise issue is unfortunately consistent with what I have read on the internet. Have you tried blowing the air into the case? I was planning on having two vented panels. Perhaps interior temps wouldn't get too bad? Unfortunately I was planning on using an 9700k or even a 9900k so hadn't really considered this an option.

I didn't realize the radiator would be a tight fit even with the fans mounted on top.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The noise issue is unfortunately consistent with what I have read on the internet. Have you tried blowing the air into the case? I was planning on having two vented panels. Perhaps interior temps wouldn't get too bad? Unfortunately I was planning on using an 9700k or even a 9900k so hadn't really considered this an option.

I didn't realize the radiator would be a tight fit even with the fans mounted on top.
My only advice will be to stick on 240mm, but with excellent 120 radiator fans like noctua nh a12-25 or gentle typhoon.
It will be clearly enough for 9900k or 9700k.

Alex Permit

Cable Smoosher
Oct 27, 2019
My only advice will be to stick on 240mm, but with excellent 120 radiator fans like noctua nh a12-25 or gentle typhoon.
It will be clearly enough for 9900k or 9700k.
I appreciate the advice. While a 240mm rad is an option, I would prefer the headroom a 280mm rad will give, especially as it relates to overclock. If I were to downsize to a 240mm aio, I may as well consider downsizing to an m1 case.

I understand the X62 fits? Its seems to be a fine cooler with problematic software. It would have been nice to have a newer gen 6 astek pump but I can live with the older gen 5/4.5 model in the x62. I can avoid using the CAM software by controlling the cooler with alternative software, or just leave it uncontrolled in its default (silent) mode. My main issue is that the x62 is using an older astek design. The newer astek coolers seem to be adopting the squared off radiators. I imagine its just a matter of time before NZXT adopts the squared off design as well. And when they do, I won't be able to replace the aio when it fails. I suppose the easiest solution is to buy a couple of spare x62 aios.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I appreciate the advice. While a 240mm rad is an option, I would prefer the headroom a 280mm rad will give, especially as it relates to overclock. If I were to downsize to a 240mm aio, I may as well consider downsizing to an m1 case.

I understand the X62 fits? Its seems to be a fine cooler with problematic software. It would have been nice to have a newer gen 6 astek pump but I can live with the older gen 5/4.5 model in the x62. I can avoid using the CAM software by controlling the cooler with alternative software, or just leave it uncontrolled in its default (silent) mode. My main issue is that the x62 is using an older astek design. The newer astek coolers seem to be adopting the squared off radiators. I imagine its just a matter of time before NZXT adopts the squared off design as well. And when they do, I won't be able to replace the aio when it fails. I suppose the easiest solution is to buy a couple of spare x62 aios.
I understand, however aio 240mm with very fans are pretty close to aio 280