Concept Sliger "G": A4-like layout with water cooling and optional bifurcation

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Goals of this case:

1. Look Good

Grained anodized aluminum front panel, no visible hardware.

Powder coated aluminum side panels with 5 optional colors (same as Cerberus colors)

2. Stay Cool

Tons of room for cooling, 240mm radiators, 120mm radiators, hybrid GPUs, custom loops, etc.
(need to add support for external reservoir, not in current render)

3. User Build Flexibility

Sides are retained with ballstuds, tops are also ballstuds but use PEM SKC-F's to keep panel gaps aligned.

Lots of optional brackets for short GPU + 3.5" HDD, options for bulk storage up top or bottom for living room PC builds, ultra quiet low speed fan setups, etc.

Lastly: Bifurcation -> Splitting of 16x PCIe 3.0 into two PCIe 8x 3.0 slots.

Ideal for SLI / Crossfire, streamer setups with GPU + capture card, or GPU + PCIe NVME RAID cards like ASUS HyperX: https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

Bifurcation does not affect GPU performance:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

Supported by all new Z370, some Z270, few Z170, Q170, (one Z97 chipset,) and both ASROCK X99 and X299 ITX boards.

4. Small Footprint (not the smallest by volume)

Idea is to minimize the amount of space taken up on the desk, so this case is pretty tall. Height is necessary for GPU water blocks and being able to work with thicker radiators in either push, pull, or push+pull configurations.

5. Inexpensive and in-stock

Goal is <$300 for bifurcated version, and <$225 for single slot version, and not to have 6 month wait lists. You buy it, you have it that week. Manufactured in the US, shipped from Reno Nevada USA.

Community Input

I'm ignorant when it comes to water cooling, all input is welcome. Change I have under consideration is moving the whole inner tray up to allow more room on bottom for a second 240mm radiator on bottom, but it will make things up top pretty constrained - but may be a good thing.

More feedback the better, want to have this shipping for Christmas.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
That is one nice looking system. Reminds me of EVGA Hadron a bit.

Just one question. Could there be a cover for the front IO, as i feel the aesthetics are ruined a bit? But again, that is just my own opinion.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
A custom loop would require quite a bit more room than AIOs, and at the same time, not having a window would be a bummer.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Only way to pull off custom loop would be with a short card I feel like with the way the psu is mounted.unless someone used a fractal kelvin or similar aio
I like this. I am following

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@KSliger

Seems like it might be the perfect case for a pair of EK MLC 240 AIOs (the successor to the 240 Predator AIO) ...

EKWB has been teasing since the beginning of the year, and had nothing to show as of yet...

At one point their website stated Spring of 2017 for release, but that was changed to a more vague time frame...

But...! They have changed the product page to reflect a choice between CPU, GPU & radiator units...!

CPU being pre-filled CPU water blocks with QDC ends...

GPU being pre-filled GPU water blocks with QDC ends...

Radiator being units that have the pump & reservoir attached to the end of the radiator assembly (like on the original Predator) with QDC ends...

So you choose your water blocks & radiator units & connect them with the QDCs...

This would allow a 240 radiator on the CPU & another 240 radiator on the GPU; each component controlling their individual pump & fans...

And it solves the issue of where to put the pump(s) / reservoir(s)...

So, such a setup would probably require at least 70mm of clearance at each end (top & bottom) for the radiator / pump / reservoir assemblies...

But, if packaged tight, it should all still fit in current volume envelope, or if any extra height is needed, it should still fit within a 15 liter package...?

And the bottom unit would require clearance for tubing around / under the PSU (or get EKWB to make some radiator units with 90 degree fittings at that corner of the radiator)...

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger

Seems like it might be the perfect case for a pair of EK MLC 240 AIOs (the successor to the 240 Predator AIO) ...

So, such a setup would probably require at least 70mm of clearance at each end (top & bottom) for the radiator / pump / reservoir assemblies...

But, if packaged tight, it should all still fit in current volume envelope, or if any extra height is needed, it should still fit within a 15 liter package...?

And the bottom unit would require clearance for tubing around / under the PSU (or get EKWB to make some radiator units with 90 degree fittings at that corner of the radiator)...

This sounds pretty good. I already had huge gap on top as the Corsair 120mm AIO and EVGA Hybria AIO that I have both require ~2" to bend the tube, can add height on bottom and get it 15L total.

Other hand this might need to be two different boxes, one for dual 120x240 top and bottom, and one for single 120x240 on top.

That is one nice looking system. Reminds me of EVGA Hadron a bit.

Just one question. Could there be a cover for the front IO, as i feel the aesthetics are ruined a bit? But again, that is just my own opinion.

You were right, I'd been staring at this box too long over thinking the front panel. Less is more.

Only way to pull off custom loop would be with a short card I feel like with the way the psu is mounted.unless someone used a fractal kelvin or similar aio
I like this. I am following

That's what I was thinking would be most reasonable, I need to find a volunteer to build a custom loop on bifurcated with ITX GPUs when first article is done.

A custom loop would require quite a bit more room than AIOs, and at the same time, not having a window would be a bummer.

Agreed on window, waiting to see how window for Cerberus / Cerberus X goes and I'll use that same window on this to keep costs down.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
That's what I was thinking would be most reasonable, I need to find a volunteer to build a custom loop on bifurcated with ITX GPUs when first article is done.

Ahah this is exactly what I am currently working on, with two KFA2 GTX 1070 Katana and their custom waterblock made in France.

These two bad boys will take place into a ~12L build (304 x 300 x h.128 mm) designed around :

- C_Payne riser from [H],
- an EK Annihilator WB.

Both 1070s and the i7 6700K will be cooled by a custom loop (1 x 240 + 1 x 120) and fed by a 600W SFX PSU.

However, my design does not particularly take advantage of ITX-sized GPUs, as it accomodates GPUs with PCB up to 270 mm.

Such a small volume will require 6/10 tubing though ; I simulated the hoses routing in Rhino 3D and larger tube sections require more case volume.

Hopefully I will be able to build an open-air prototype starting next week. First custom loop so I'm not going to rush anything.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@KSliger

Looks like EKWB has launched their MLC lineup...!

One of these up top & one down below, perfect cooling for CPU & GPU, dual pump redundancy (if one is having both components in the same loop) & no need to make compromises in regards to pump / reservoir placement in the chassis...!

Technical specifications:

- Dimensions: 295 x 133 x 68mm (L x W x H)
- Fan type: EK-Vardar EVO 120ER 2200 RPM (+/- 10%)
- Pump type: EK-SPC 60A 12V DC PWM Pump
- Tube length: 250mm

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
As an EVGA Hadron lover, I also love this case design. It just feels good to have an upright case with all curved edges. Im looking forward to more updates.

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@KSliger

Looks like EKWB has launched their MLC lineup...!

One of these up top & one down below, perfect cooling for CPU & GPU, dual pump redundancy (if one is having both components in the same loop) & no need to make compromises in regards to pump / reservoir placement in the chassis...!

Technical specifications:

- Dimensions: 295 x 133 x 68mm (L x W x H)
- Fan type: EK-Vardar EVO 120ER 2200 RPM (+/- 10%)
- Pump type: EK-SPC 60A 12V DC PWM Pump
- Tube length: 250mm
Ahah predator successor..:)

I’m eager to see the evolution of this case

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I emailed EKWB for 3D models, see what I can get. Those are perfect for this case.
After you can also use swiftech combo Apogee drive ii plus their reservoir/radiator...:) it even allow you to have a customed aio with aio size and high quality wc component performance...:)

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I emailed EKWB for 3D models, see what I can get. Those are perfect for this case.

The Sliger G, a pair of 240 Phoenix radiator / pump / reservoir combo units, a Phoenix CPU block & Phoenix GPU full length water block; the perfect "bolt it together, no fill & bleed" chassis & cooling solution...!

And, since it is all standard watercooling components, one could dis-assemble to plumb in other (non-EK) parts, like the Bitspower monoblock for the ASRock X299 ITX motherboard...

Biggest thing to look at (after assuring the radiator units fit properly) & get squared away is the tubing & QDCs, getting those routed neatly & all...

And same for GPUs, EK has a block in their MLC lineup for the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, which is a tall card & the fittings & tubing from that make the package ever taller... Making sure that high-end card (with watercooling block) can fit into the chassis would be a Good Thing...

Looking forward to (hoping for) an EKWB MLC optimized Sliger G chassis...!!!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well i’ve tried QDC (koolance ) in my cerberus-x...and it was obviously too big...:)
I’m a bit pessimistic about using qdc inside a sliger g..:)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Split this case into three designs, top + bottom rad, top rad, no rad basically A4 clone with little room on bottom for 2x 120mmx15mm fans.

Cut the work orders to floor, will have pictures next weekend.

Reactions: Biowarejak and Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Split this case into three designs, top + bottom rad, top rad, no rad basically A4 clone with little room on bottom for 2x 120mmx15mm fans.

Cut the work orders to floor, will have pictures next weekend.

@KSliger

Not even a view-port pic or rendering or anything...?

What a tease...!

So, are these to be three separate SKUs, or a modular system...?

And "Cut the work orders to the floor", does this mean then are prototypes being built over the next week...!?!

In my earlier comments I mentioned that you would need at least 70mm of clearance for the thickness of the radiator / pump / reservoir / fans assembly, this was not taking into account the spacing needed for hose bends coming out of the radiator; you stated you needed about 2" (so, about 50mm or so) for the two different AIOs you had there... So I guess you would need about 120mm or so at each end of the chassis (top & bottom) for the two EK radiator units...?

And from a exchange Necere & I had over on [H] (actually, he covered the extra room needed for the tubing bends as well), the Sliger G chassis would need to be widened slightly to accommodate the EK radiator units...

If a version of the Sliger G can be made to fit two EK 240 Phoenix radiator units AND the EK full-length water block / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 graphics card combo, it would be (IMHO) one of the most powerful & flexible & fully water cooled SFF ITX systems out there, AND it should fit any other AIO unit or oversized (excepting those three slot monsters) graphics card...!

Excited to read / SEE more of the developing Sliger G...!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
After you can also use swiftech combo Apogee drive ii plus their reservoir/radiator...:) it even allow you to have a customed aio with aio size and high quality wc component performance...:)

I like the EK solution better than the Swiftech because it takes the pump off of the CPU...

Well i’ve tried QDC (koolance ) in my cerberus-x...and it was obviously too big...:)
I’m a bit pessimistic about using qdc inside a sliger g..:)

I would probably 'rebuild' the system in regards to shortening the hoses & possibly removing the QDCs, and definitely re-plumbing for the Bitspower monoblock if I were to go for a X299 build...