SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
just found this post, its very helpfull information!!!

i got my skyreach mini + hdplex400 + brick a few days ago.... also had no problems at all building it so far, super quality!!!
still need to get a gpu though, i dont game alot so i only will get a cheap gpu ,
i will wait until the new 3000 series come out then the older cards will get very cheap then...

also im still experimenting with the cpu coolers... i ordered a cryorig c7 and a cryorig xt140 fan i cant wait until to see how it compares to the intel stock coler LOL

BUT i have one question:
at the moment i have the c13 connector hanging outside of the back of the case...
looks like the revision i have only have a cut out for a c8 and one round cut out ....

i wanted to go with c13, but after googling and reading alot of posts i saw most ppl use c6, i defintly dont want to use c8 because the c8 grounding option doesnt seem logical for me...i ordered a c6 connector and will replace the c8 adapter.
my main concern are the cable of the connector... between the connector and the brick is almost no space the cable of the connector almost get bended 90degree...
is this ok? im a lil bit scared since its the main power input??? anybody managed to get the c13 on there???

Dave
Only other option you have from the C6 is a GX16 aviation connector. Josh does sell a set of a cable and socket pair on his shop: https://store.nfc-systems.com/products/gx16-ac-cable-mod

Reactions: theMashine

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Have just gone brick-less with the hdplex 200W AC/DC + dynamo mini (was already using the dynamo) so thought I'd share some of the experience. Build is with an undervolted i5 6500 so CPU side not an issue to keep cool.

In the process I changed from an EVGA 1060 to a Gigabyte 1070 (for a good price so couldn't resist). After testing with the 1060 I went with the AC/DC in the front of the case about in the middle. This seemed to help GPU venting and also no special cables needed vs. putting it at the side of the case on top of the GPU. For the 1060 this meant taking the shroud off to fit though and was still making light contact which I think was impacting the cooler. No such issue with the 1070 which fits just nice.

In terms of power it holds up pretty well with the 1070. I imagine the newer 200W hdplex plug in would do even better. Can get through firestrike with 70% power limit and +200 OC. Did get resets during games though - in menus in particular - but doing a proper undervolt by adjusting the curve in afterburner seems to have fixed it, I guess it helps reduce spikes? Now at 0.793V 1733MHz, which gives same FS score but avoids resets (to date anyway). Getting about 17400 FS graphics score which I think is close to stock.

Main challenge was and is balancing GPU heat and noise, made a lot worse by the 30 to 32oC ambient here. May experiment with a different fan on the GPU but actually it's pretty okay now. Was running with the case horizontal originally but adding the brick obviously didn't help thermals. Tried horizontal but upside down for a while which did seem to help the GPU. Now using vertical to try and keep GPU heat away from the AC/DC as much as possible as the case does get notably hotter - can't quite imagine what the higher wattage builds are like?!

Pics to follow...

Cheers!

Reactions: Soul_Est

theMashine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
thx guys i ordered the orignal c6 from hdplex they are cool guys!
im still looking for a graphicscard,
anybody can recomend something wich fits and isnt loud?

theMashine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
today i added the c7 +xt140 fan

• Wow
Reactions: vvv and Soul_Est

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Does that help temperatures at all? How loud is it compared to say a Noctua. I know the stock cryorig c7 fan is a screamer.

theMashine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
yeah it helps alot!
i had a intel stock cooler before .. i cant compare to a noctua.... at the moment the xt140 is running on the lowest rpm possible and i cant hardly hear it - the hdplex sound is louder than the fan!!! its definitly not so loud as the intel stock cooler... i also have to say i thought the intel stock cooler would be quiet on lowest rpm if there wasnt that funny clicking sound...

my temps on idle (just firefox runnign) was 45-52 with the stock cooler with the lowest rpm and now they are 28-32c on the lowest rpm ..
also my m2 is very hot... its mostly around 55-65c , the big fan also helps sucking the hot air from the m2...

Reactions: Desertf0x9

willxlliw

Efficiency Noob
Mar 11, 2019
thx guys i ordered the orignal c6 from hdplex they are cool guys!
im still looking for a graphicscard,
anybody can recomend something wich fits and isnt loud?

Not sure how your budget is but if you can find an Asus Dual Mini 2070 those should fit inconsequentially. I just managed to build a brickless 2070 Super build with no modification so that's also possible.

Reactions: theMashine

theMashine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
Not sure how your budget is but if you can find an Asus Dual Mini 2070 those should fit inconsequentially. I just managed to build a brickless 2070 Super build with no modification so that's also possible.
thx, i was looking at this card :D:D i think i will try to find a used one as soon the new ones get released in september....

If you don't mind me asking @theMashine , where did you get the Cryorig XT140 from? I've been looking at either that or the Noctua NF-A12x15 for my build.
i got it used localy for only 5 bucks... i couldnt find no shop in my country wich had the cryorig stuff...it was sold out everywhere

BUT i think i will switch to a Noctua cooler... the cryorig has good temps i have to say that BUT like mentioned before its not so quiet, first i thought it was quiet but that must have been the hype after applying it and looking so sexy LOL after a week i kind of have the feeling the cryorig has shitty bearings, it would be quiet but there is some noise coming from the bearings...its def not a quiet fan...

i already ordered a noctua NH-L9, i hope the fan is not so noisy like the cryorig, im willing to let the temp rise a lil bit as long it is totally quiet...

Reactions: Soul_Est

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

I managed to finally snatch a used Skyreach !

Just a question regarding the GPU bracket : I cannot get a perfect fit, impossible to fit it all the way in.
I have to use 3 mm washers to secure the bracket to the case.

Any hints ?

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I sold my s4m build to my cousin and now he wants to upgrade to a bigger case (trust me I have no idea why) and I did the swap for him and he told me to keep the s4m. So now I have a extra chassis on my issue is that 5/8 screws for the side panels are stripped ?‍♂️

What kinda options to I have to make this work again? Ideally I'd like to keep it as sleek as it was the day I got it but honestly I have just been thinking about finding the smallest rivnuts I can find and going with that to solve the issue forever...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I sold my s4m build to my cousin and now he wants to upgrade to a bigger case (trust me I have no idea why) and I did the swap for him and he told me to keep the s4m. So now I have a extra chassis on my issue is that 5/8 screws for the side panels are stripped ?‍♂️

What kinda options to I have to make this work again? Ideally I'd like to keep it as sleek as it was the day I got it but honestly I have just been thinking about finding the smallest rivnuts I can find and going with that to solve the issue forever...

You would have to drill out the stripped holes and tap it one size larger. They're M3, so you would go up to M3.5. You would then have to enlarge the thru-holes on the panel as well, and countersink it. If it is colored anodized, it would lose the anodized colors.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016

I have exactly the same issue with my case... The best option would be to install self-clinching nuts but you would have to do it without any industrial press.

Still trying to find someone in France that could help with a few nuts without asking 1000€ per nut.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Have just gone brick-less with the hdplex 200W AC/DC + dynamo mini (was already using the dynamo) so thought I'd share some of the experience. Build is with an undervolted i5 6500 so CPU side not an issue to keep cool.

In the process I changed from an EVGA 1060 to a Gigabyte 1070 (for a good price so couldn't resist). After testing with the 1060 I went with the AC/DC in the front of the case about in the middle. This seemed to help GPU venting and also no special cables needed vs. putting it at the side of the case on top of the GPU. For the 1060 this meant taking the shroud off to fit though and was still making light contact which I think was impacting the cooler. No such issue with the 1070 which fits just nice.

In terms of power it holds up pretty well with the 1070. I imagine the newer 200W hdplex plug in would do even better. Can get through firestrike with 70% power limit and +200 OC. Did get resets during games though - in menus in particular - but doing a proper undervolt by adjusting the curve in afterburner seems to have fixed it, I guess it helps reduce spikes? Now at 0.793V 1733MHz, which gives same FS score but avoids resets (to date anyway). Getting about 17400 FS graphics score which I think is close to stock.

Main challenge was and is balancing GPU heat and noise, made a lot worse by the 30 to 32oC ambient here. May experiment with a different fan on the GPU but actually it's pretty okay now. Was running with the case horizontal originally but adding the brick obviously didn't help thermals. Tried horizontal but upside down for a while which did seem to help the GPU. Now using vertical to try and keep GPU heat away from the AC/DC as much as possible as the case does get notably hotter - can't quite imagine what the higher wattage builds are like?!

Pics to follow...

Cheers!

Profix-25lO

Cable Smoosher
Jun 20, 2020

Some people have allready done this. But I was not sattisfied with the cooling of the standard zotac 2070 super mini cooler. So i mooded the case a bit and made room for these 120mm and 92mm fan. Because there is no space for the standard fan from the hdplex 400 ac-dc i put 2 small 40mm fans on top of the unit to keep it cool.

Component list:

CPU: 9900k

CPU-Cooler: Noctua L9i

Mobo: Z390 Phantom itx

GPU: Zotac 2070 Super mini

Ram: Gskill trident Z rgb 3200 cl14 (overclocked to 4000MHz cl16)

PSU: HDPLEX 400W ac-dc and 400W dc-atx

Storage: crucial 1TB NVME m.2 and 1tb crucial 1tb sata m.2

With this mod there is no more space for additional 2,5" storage. But who needs that anyway :DI also modded the GPU bios with a bios from a gpu that stops the fans when idle. The standard 33% at idle is too loud with these 2 fans.
I also turned around the 92mm fan so it blows air out of the case. Better temps this way

Test setup: 90W load on CPU and Furmark with gpu power limit at 240W.

CPU temps: High 80s barely scratching the 90s.GPU temps: ending up at around 75°

Because gpu temps are still kinda low i will mod the bios again for one that has some more power headroom.

kai535

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2020
Hi there,

I managed to finally snatch a used Skyreach !

Just a question regarding the GPU bracket : I cannot get a perfect fit, impossible to fit it all the way in.
I have to use 3 mm washers to secure the bracket to the case.

Any hints ?
Did you ever find a fix for your gpu? I'm having the same issue with mine