SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Nice, love the all white look. How much does it typically cost to powder coat if you dont mind me asking?

Not at all!

It cost me about $35AUD (~$26USD). I could have done a DIY job but thought it best to leave to the pros, at least for this one :)

Reactions: Ghost

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Outer panels back from the powder coaters today. I'll commence a separate build log shortly. Again, photos don't do any justice. Looks great up close / in person :)

The front panel although originally in black came out just as good. I have a spare aluminium silver finished on order so once that's fulfilled I'll hang onto the spare panel in case I want to do something else with the front. Cheers.
Looks very nice. Look forward to seeing it together!

Reactions: br3nd0

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
Ok cool Ill have to check it out, ya the lights were one of the main reasons I liked it. Ive heard great things about romer g switches. Just as good as mx?
I think they are just as good, yeah. Feels great to me. I have only ever personally tried brown and red Cherry switches, though.

Reactions: Ghost and br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I think they are just as good, yeah. Feels great to me. I have only ever personally tried brown and red Cherry switches, though.

I'd have bought one of these to try the romer switches were it not for the blue LEDs as I've read some good reviews (nothing against blue, just didn't match my build colour scheme). I hope they bring out the same model with plain white or full RGB option later down the track.

Cherry Red all the way!

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Sup guys,

Here's a bit of an update since I haven't really posted anything for a while. I've been working with Larry from HDPLEX (solid dude), to figure out why I keep getting system restarts when I do anything graphically intensive. I tested the system components with multiple PSU's, besides the Eurocom/ HDPLEX combo, and everything worked fine. He swapped out my HDPLEX 400, but when going back to that and the Eurocom, I still have issues. So, he's going to ship me his 1200W AC PSU that I will use in conjunction with the HDPLEX unit. From there, I'll be able to determine if the Eurocom is actually the issue. Fingers crossed.

Since I have everything back in the Skyreach, I should take some pics for you guys as well. I have yet to post anything, and was going to wait until it all worked flawlessly, but I may as well do it now lol. I'll try to take some in the next couple of days, to post on here. I'm also going to take a quick video or two, to show exactly what happens when I use the different PSU's. This is mostly for Larry's sake, but it may shed a bit more light onto the issue that some people are experiencing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Sup guys,

Here's a bit of an update since I haven't really posted anything for a while. I've been working with Larry from HDPLEX (solid dude), to figure out why I keep getting system restarts when I do anything graphically intensive. I tested the system components with multiple PSU's, besides the Eurocom/ HDPLEX combo, and everything worked fine. He swapped out my HDPLEX 400, but when going back to that, and the Eurocom, I still have issues. So, he's going to ship me his 1200W AC PSU that I will use in conjunction with the HDPLEX unit. From there, I'll be able to determine if the Eurocom is actually the issue. Fingers crossed.

Since I have everything back in the Skyreach, I should take some pics for you guys as well. I have yet to post anything, and was going to wait until it all worked flawlessly, but I may as well do it now lol. I'll try to take some in the next couple of days, to post on here. I'm also going to take a quick video or two, to show exactly what happens when I use the different PSU's. This is mostly for Larry's sake, but it may shed a bit more light onto the issue that some people are experiencing.
Thanks for the update. I went through something similar with Larry as well. Different combinations of 400 DC-ATX unit vs 160+400 vs a prototype 400 DC-ATX, etc. I was comfortable with tinkering, and was happy to help with testing, and video recording the restarts. I was able to help narrow down which voltage / rail was the culprit. He finally sent a unit with the older heatsink / components, and everything is working great now.
I hope you get your system to 100%!

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
Yea
Not at all!

It cost me about $35AUD (~$26USD). I could have done a DIY job but thought it best to leave to the pros, at least for this one :)
Yea I like doing things my self too, but for that price def worth letting the pros do it. Fig it would be more. Guess I'll be looking for local powder coaters.

It will have that nice Storm trooper look with the black frame.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
I hope you get your system to 100%!

Thanks man... it'd be nice to be able to game on the new card for once lol. And yeah, I originally thought the issue was the PCI/E rail on the HDPLEX and its inability to handle the power spike that the 1080 Ti pulled when starting a game, seeing as how my 970 worked fine as long as I didn't overclock the hell out of it. I still think it has to do with the power spike (versus total wattage), but just with the Eurocom now, since again, my 970 was fine and the issue doesn't present itself while just browsing the web.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Thanks man... it'd be nice to be able to game on the new card for once lol. And yeah, I originally thought the issue was the PCI/E rail on the HDPLEX and its inability to handle the power spike that the 1080 Ti pulled when starting a game, seeing as how my 970 worked fine as long as I didn't overclock the hell out of it. I still think it has to do with that rail, but just on the Eurocom now, since again, my 970 was fine and the issue doesn't present itself while just browsing the web.
I believe the problem on mine was with the 24pin, as the various 400w DC-ATX unit powered the GTX1080 fine. We found this out by powering the CPU and motherboard with a HDPlex160.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Oh, interesting. Did you get restarts when doing normal tasks, or was it only when you played games, like me?
I can run everyday tasks OK. Only games or GPU stress progress like Heaven/ Superposition. Actually it may game sometimes when I set power limit if the GTX 1080 to the minimum 50% in MSI Afteburner.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
I can run everyday tasks OK. Only games or GPU stress progress like Heaven/ Superposition. Actually it may game sometimes when I set power limit if the GTX 1080 to the minimum 50% in MSI Afteburner.

I believe everything will work ok on my current build, if I turn the power limit on the GPU way down, as well.

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018

MrKoolKhai

Chassis Packer
Aug 8, 2018
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but I have been in contact with Larry and Josh about problems that I have been having with my 8700K and 1080 Ti S4M build. Basically, I began trying to run my system on the Delta 400W in an attempt to save some money, but I kept having resets when running Unigine Heaven or any games, even with a GPU power target of 60%. I talked with Josh about the situation, and he basically said that he recommended the Eurocom 780W as he has built many systems with it. I ended up purchasing the Eurocom, but the resets kept happening regardless of 70% or sometimes lower GPU power targets. I talked to Larry about it, and he sent me a replacement 400W DC-ATX as soon as he could. I tried both the unified and separated heat sink models (both being Revision 1.4), but my resets continued to occur. Larry ended up purchasing a 1080 Ti to use with an 8700K to personally test a 400W DC-ATX with (using his 1200W industrial AC adapter), and everything ran fine. He sent me the 1200W AC adapter and the exact same 400W DC-ATX he used in his testing, and my results were pretty interesting. For all of the following tests, I had my GPU at a 100% power target with no overclocks, and my CPU was also at stock with stock BIOS settings (meaning MultiCore Enhancement is on). Basically, the 1200W AC adapter was initially able to power my system through a full run of Heaven with Prime95 also running, but resets occurred in less than two minutes with this setup the next day when I tried to record my findings. I spoke with Larry about this, and he said that it is fine because the peak wattage of the stress test was probably too much for the 400W DC-ATX to handle. Near instant resets had been my experience while using the Eurocom, so I continued to test. The 1200W AC adapter was able to successfully power my system running Prime95 and Furmark for 10-15 minutes at a time (ended the tests after that amount of time). The Eurocom adapter still reset instantly when running Heaven and Prime95, but it was able to power my system while it ran Prime95 and Furmark for slightly over 10 minutes before it reset (didn't test this with previous 400W DC-ATX units that I had been sent). My Kill A Watt showed higher average power (477W peak) while running Prime95 and Furmark on both power solutions; Prime95 and Heaven was noticeably lower (467W peak). This led me to test some games on both systems. Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 4 reset instantly with the Eurocom, but they both ran fine on the 1200W AC adapter. Considering the experiences that @Pestilaence has also had with the Eurocom, it seems as if something may be going on with the Eurocom. I am getting ready to contact Eurocom about the issue, but I recall @Josh | NFC saying that they have a very strict no return policy. I'm hoping that they will at least consider giving me a replacement unit or doing some testing themselves to see if it is a more widespread issue, but I'm not feeling very confident, especially with the modded cable. Larry told me that the newest 400W DC-ATX that he is coming out with will be more robust than Revision 1.4, so you may want to wait a bit if you are doing an S4M build that requires a lot of power. I am going to leave all of the testing videos that I sent Larry along with brief descriptions of what happens in each below. In summary, I would not currently recommend purchasing the Eurocom 780W AC adapter due to the issues that I have had with it.

1200W AC Adapter HDPLEX 400W DCATX Heaven and Prime95 Stress Test
(reset in under 2 minutes; needed to unplug from wall to boot computer again)

1200W AC Adapter HDPLEX 400W DCATX Furmark and Prime95 Stress Test
(ran for full 10 minute duration of video; test ended right after)

Eurocom 780W HDPLEX 400W DCATX Heaven and Prime95 Stress Test
(instant reset; computer restarted)

Eurocom 780W HDPLEX 400W DCATX Furmark and Prime95 Stress Test
(ran for full 10 minute duration of video and reset about 1 minute later; needed to unplug from wall to boot computer again)

UPDATE (10/11/2018): Revision 1.6 of the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX fixed the resets that I was experiencing with Revision 1.4.
The KMPKT Dynamo Combo also fixed my resets, but there is a weird issue with the sync cable that should be fixed with the next revision of the Dynamo Mini. My Eurocom 780W is working fine; the only odd thing is that the fans rarely spin up. They are loud when they spin up, but it is very brief (under 5 seconds), making the noise from it much less annoying than what Josh described.

Last edited:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Good lord, my eyes.... :eek: Hope you find some resolution to your issue. I'll take another look at HDPlex once the newer 400w revision comes out. Until then I've gone for a super-custom G-Unique special, here.

Reactions: MrKoolKhai

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum...

Hey man, welcome to the forum. It definitely seems like the Eurocom units are the issue, and as soon as I get to test my system with Larry's 1200W PSU, I'll be able to deduce if that is actually the root. If it is, then I'll end up doing the same, and be in contact with Eurocom too.

Good lord, my eyes.... :eek: Hope you find some resolution to your issue. I'll take another look at HDPlex once the newer 400w revision comes out. Until then I've gone for a super-custom G-Unique special, here.

I wouldn't mind trying a G-Unique setup, but I really don't want a thermal nuclear brick. Even with the fans that Gury mods onto the bricks, I think they still get a bit too warm.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I wouldn't mind trying a G-Unique setup, but I really don't want a thermal nuclear brick. Even with the fans that Gury mods onto the bricks, I think they still get a bit too warm.
I have the 300, 400, and 500w G-Unique power supplies. Yes the bricks for the 300-450w ones do get warm, thats why Gury provide the brick stand to help passively cool the bricks. The 500w version has a fully modded brick with fan(s), and what looks to be a custom fabricated metal brick housing. I’ve just received the 500w recently, but haven’t had a chance to test it yet. I ordered the kit with upgraded everything for USD220 + shipping. Here’s Gury’s description of it on his invoice:

G-unique 500watts Archdaemon limited directplug DC set with cable: dual pci-e 6+2pin 20cm/cpu 4+4 pin 20cm,30cm+15cm 2satas;all black cables with fan modded 500watts AL case dell brick, XT90s with 8awg cable. for Sr4mini ship from china 2kg package SF-express/UPS.

I’ll throw up some pics when I get a chance later tonight.

Last edited:

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
I’ll throw up some pics when I get a chance later tonight.

Yeah, the Archdemon kit, with the upgraded brick is what I would get, if I went that route. I mean hell, I guess it's still an option, if I can't sort out the Eurocom issue. Gury is incredibly busy all the time though. I tried to hit him up on Discord, and he only answered one or two simple questions for me, then stopped replying... so speaking with him to get particulars about his stuff is kind of difficult it seems.