SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
So I have this 7920X + 1080ti build here and I actually am impressed with the cooling performance of the stock MINI. Using the Dynatron R30 (going to replace the fan) with a pretty flat fan curve for being quiet I idle high 40s low 50s in a room that is 24C. Hits about 82 under full bore and holds there. I love how you can populate the DIMM slots pretty much however you want, so the CPU cooler has a clear path to dump heat out the side of the chassis.

Also this is kinda interesting...I'm doing my major thermal testing with this machine, but it seems that the new best position for thermals (with this hardware config anyway) is vertical (duh) CPU side up. So 180 out from the S4M-C.

I think I am most impressed that this is with the stock front bezel...so with an aftermarket one with SkySlots in the front I think the GPU temp will drop or the turbo will increase. She stays at about 1850Mhz now, which is pretty dang good.

Oh, I know that many of you are considering the SkyLakeX for your insanity builds...I've been tuning all afternoon and have a LONG way to go still, but the performance isn't there for games. You are far better off with a K series i5. With TB 3.0 enabled and tweaked a bit I did increase my Valley score, but it's not as fast as a 4 core with a fast clock for games.

Now, for unzipping things...holy cow...can't wait to give it some chores...
You are such a tease. Any pics? Buildlog?
I move my xbox around a bunch and don't mind having a brick.

Anyone here running a 1600x and 1080 mini? Curious if the 1600x will bottleneck the 1080.
1600x is MORE than enough for your system. The bottleneck is not there. That CPU is powerful and it can handle even most powerful cards.

Of course, you can even you a Pentium with 1080, if you are playing at 4K.

Dont worry and enjoy your build!

Reactions: owliwar

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
UL certification increases the cost of their unit by 15%

what kind of prices are we looking at for a certification?

A 12V Plugin DC Board costs $20. RPS-200-12 costs $45

Nice little item, 1300W/Litre not including fan needed to reach 200W. Btw what do you mean by "12V Plugin DC Board"?

Just Fyi this guy who made the Luna DNK-H made his own power supply, not sure if he certified it. it's 19V 120W 85%+.
Was looking closely at his posts and noticed the username of the Frelancer account he used to design his power supply here:
https://www.freelancer.com/u/k03ak
he payed 550 usd for design and build 2 samples, also 120usd to post from Kiev to Bankok.

the luna dnk-h power supply, open design gets cooled by single case fan

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew.J.Vigil

busisgo

Case Bender
Nov 30, 2017
You will need a mini-itx motherboard (as you know), and a cooler under 45mm (like the Noctua NH-l9a) but everything else (including your 2.5" SSD) will drop right in. The 1800X is going to be toasty but it will still work.

You will also need a 16mm power button. You can find these everywhere, but I try to sell a premium ON/OFF switch in my NFC Shop to make things easier.

To power it the tried and true method is the (genuine) Dell 330w brick and the HDPLEX 400. You don't need to buy anything else, but there are other accessories like my SkyWire cable set which make the install faster and neater.

Of course there are tons more options for powering the rig which you can find by poking around here and I plan to have more info up, but I like to keep things simple.

Peace

The power supply calculator for the Outer Vision or CoolerMaster put the required wattage to be at 394W or so, would using 330W brick still work?

And in previous design, s4 mini, I think in the video you talked about the riser for the graphics card? would that be still required also?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The power supply calculator for the Outer Vision or CoolerMaster put the required wattage to be at 394W or so, would using 330W brick still work?

And in previous design, s4 mini, I think in the video you talked about the riser for the graphics card? would that be still required also?

I'm sticking with my first answer on the power brick--it will be close, but I think it will be fine. It's easy to tune those parts and the Ryzen chips seem to do a good job keeping inside their TDP and drawing under it.

You absolutely need a riser if you are using an expansion card, but the MINI comes with a top-shelf one.

Peace

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I added some new pages to my website, and rearranged my store to make way for new S4M accessories.

There are many new bezels and options available for pre-order now, and I am going to be running a sale while I get the first ones made up. This should give pre-order people some small thank you for trusting me. Prices are lower across the board for the new bezels too, but still expensive, so the sale should help a teenybit. XD

Here are some placeholder renders:

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Just put an order for S4M with riser + black body and a Dynamo Mini.
Also added silver and black body short power switches (couldn't decide on color, hah) and the mini feet!

Looking forward to this!! :)
January can't come soon enough!

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Got a zebrawood panel for mine and going to do black panels and silver faceplate for my brothers. I’m getting super excited to, merry Christmas to me!

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Hey @Josh | NFC - I'm in NYC between 5th and 13th Jan. Do you think the bezels will be shipped by then (I'm normally based in UK so the postage difference is huge!)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks guys, glad I can help some of you customize your MINIs.

Hey @Josh | NFC - I'm in NYC between 5th and 13th Jan. Do you think the bezels will be shipped by then (I'm normally based in UK so the postage difference is huge!)

If you are one of the first people in line I think this is a good possibility and I will try to meet that date, but it's hard to guarantee anything this time of year.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
@Josh | NFC Dude I have a “serious” problem! My problem is stop releasing these beautiful accessories that tempt me to pull out my wallet and order more things and spend more money because I haven’t spent enough already. ;) For real though love the work I was hesitant at first but it’s looking awesome the more I look at it!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC Dude I have a “serious” problem! My problem is stop releasing these beautiful accessories that tempt me to pull out my wallet and order more things and spend more money because I haven’t spent enough already. ;) For real though love the work I was hesitant at first but it’s looking awesome the more I look at it!

Haha, thanks. XD

I updated the placeholder renders so they should look much better now.

http://nfc-systems.com/shop/

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC how do I preorder the carbon one? I just tried adding it to my cart and says its unable to add.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what's wrong...I'll take a look. Thank you for your patience.

*update*

Are you able to select the cutout you want? It won't add to cart if a cutout is not selected. You'll have to choose "none" if you want it blank. Sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: Biowarejak