Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Would be much like silverstone's VT01, supporting:
  • Standard STX mobo, front IO accessible
  • Wraith stealth cooler with shroud removed
  • 3D printed VESA mount
I would not include 2.5" drive support (M.2 is the future), swapping that space for more cooler height.

Construction:
  • Machined 6061 aluminium.
  • L-shaped enclosure or two halfs (undecided)
  • M3 standoffs/screws
  • Antenna holes in the back for those that need wifi
As my CNC milling machine gets closer to working, all my designs are moving to CNC'ed aluminum.

L-Shape:

imgur.com/a/tEHjav0

Two U-shapes with backplates:

imgur.com/a/jzaVuWE

Note: The holes in the U enclosure are too large, ignore them.

The U shape enclosure will most definitely be cheaper due to less materiel and waste.
There Are some screws front and back I haven't added yet, at all four corners of the endplates.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Lol I seem to remember you getting offended on 'case design guidelines' pinned thread about the latter being called antiquated ^^
What happened?

Haha, yes.

I believe it was Aibo that had called the U.S. Standard system illogical. I didn't (and still don't) agree with that. (This is no place for a debate though.)
But for case deign, metric actually makes more sense, and where I live, somehow Standard hardware is getting more scarce.
I wasn't offended, just slightly miffed. :p

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, Idea 1.

As my CNC milling machine gets closer to working, all my designs are moving to CNC'ed aluminum.

[SPOILER="Hard link in case imgur breaks"imgur.com/a/tEHjav0

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
This is awesome. Really dig the L shape design. The case looks very high end, or potential to look like that. Think it would be cool to have it sit vertically with some modern / contemp angle kick stands or feet made of chrome or polished brass. Kinda like the sentry or Antec 110 except angled higher in front and lower in the back.
Looking nice! interested for sure, keep it up.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is awesome. Really dig the L shape design. The case looks very high end, or potential to look like that. Think it would be cool to have it sit vertically with some modern / contemp angle kick stands or feet made of chrome or polished brass. Kinda like the sentry or Antec 110 except angled higher in front and lower in the back.
Looking nice! interested for sure, keep it up.

Vertical would be an option, but there's nothing too impressive on the back.

The Issue with the L-Shape it it will end up using a lot more material. I guess that's an okay tradeoff though.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

imgur.com/a/jzaVuWE

The U shape enclosure will most definitely be cheaper due to less materiel and waste.
There Are some screws front and back I haven't added yet, at all four corners of the endplates.

Thoughts?

Reactions: xredlinexx1

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019

imgur.com/a/jzaVuWE

Thoughts?

I'm just seeing this thread now. I'm really liking it. I'm assuming this will fit the asrock a300 mini-stx board? How does its size compare to the a300 case...i'm hoping its a tiny bit slimmer (enough to fit a more low profile cooler/fan only)? And the underside will have vesa mount holes?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm just seeing this thread now. I'm really liking it. I'm assuming this will fit the asrock a300 mini-stx board? How does its size compare to the a300 case...i'm hoping its a tiny bit slimmer (enough to fit a more low profile cooler/fan only)? And the underside will have vesa mount holes?

Yeah, any standard STX board, it is a bit slimmer. The underside will have vesa mounting.

I'll have a prototype when I get my CNC working.

Reactions: xredlinexx1

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Yeah, any standard STX board, it is a bit slimmer. The underside will have vesa mounting.

I'll have a prototype when I get my CNC working.

I know next to nothing about CNC machining...How do you create the U shapes out of aluminum? Do you first use the CNC machine to cut the holes and general shape of the U in 2d? Then do you use something else to bend the plate into the U shape? Sorry if this is wrong place to ask, but i'm very interested.

Thanks

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I know next to nothing about CNC machining...How do you create the U shapes out of aluminum? Do you first use the CNC machine to cut the holes and general shape of the U in 2d? Then do you use something else to bend the plate into the U shape? Sorry if this is wrong place to ask, but i'm very interested.

Thanks

The U's would be milled out of solid blocks, no bending.