Power Supply SilverStone SX700-LPT vs Corsair SF450 in terms of noise

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Nice...hope to see updates...as said before i'm curious to see a tom's hardware rewiew of silverstone sx700lpt so we can do a objective comparasion between them. For my build i would to buy a sf450 but on pcpartpicker i saw 290w tdp and a 450w would be a bit smaller and noisy...
well, yes. it is a bit noisy on load. so with sf450 it is 90W and with sf600 it is 120W you can keep silent (if you have proper ventillation). I tried a simple load test with compiling kernel and also running some 4k to load the videocard, too. the whole system must be around ~120W at load, so I had only the lowest range of rpm.
and there is one more thing: 90W no fan is true at 25C ambient temperature. so if you warm up the case then it is possible that during idle mode you still will have the psu fan on while (and if) the internal of the case cools down.

::EDIT::
with the side of the case down I can not make the PSU fan move :) looks like the video card and cpu produce enough heat to warm up the case. no mprime nor stress or kernel build is enough to make it spin. And the CPU cores are also much cooler (70C vs 83C) with a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonerosso

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Don't forget the SX700-LPT and SX600-G have different manufacturers, and one is temperature based one isn't, so comparisons may not (and probably not) be valid.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I decided guys for my build i remember to you ( i5 6600 8gb 2133 gtx 1080 noctua l9i with next dan a4sfx) to have a complete silent psu at low and high loads to go to silverstone sx700lpt. I think this is a unit will permit me to be futureproof if a day i would to buy a 250w video card and remain alaways on 50% load. What do you think?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
well, yes. it is a bit noisy on load. so with sf450 it is 90W and with sf600 it is 120W you can keep silent (if you have proper ventillation).

I reckon the fan activation load for the SF450 is more like 200W from what I've seen during personal testing.

But, I think the PSU has a separate activation point based on temperature. So as long as you can keep the SF450 cool then the fan will remain off up to around 200W.

If the power supply isn't well ventilated and it gets hot then the temp sensor will activate the fan regardless of load.

I've tested an SF450 with an i5 6500 and GTX 960 which is likely just under 200W load, and under full system stress the fan did not spin up, but this was in a well ventilated case.

I have since tested a different SF450 in the same case, but this time with an i5 6500 and a GTX 1070 (a max load just above 200W), under gaming load the PSU fan did not spin up, I've not yet tested full system stress load.

I've also used the SF450 in about 5 other builds inside the ML08B (same case as the RVZ02), I've found that this case runs quite hot, but I've not known the PSU fan to come on under normal extended usage, although I've not checked in full load conditions, next time I build one I'll check. But I have had one of those 5 systems returned to me with a popped power supply, whether heat played a part I do not know.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I reckon the fan activation load for the SF450 is more like 200W from what I've seen during personal testing.

But, I think the PSU has a separate activation point based on temperature. So as long as you can keep the SF450 cool then the fan will remain off up to around 200W.

If the power supply isn't well ventilated and it gets hot then the temp sensor will activate the fan regardless of load.

I've tested an SF450 with an i5 6500 and GTX 960 which is likely just under 200W load, and under full system stress the fan did not spin up, but this was in a well ventilated case.

I have since tested a different SF450 in the same case, but this time with an i5 6500 and a GTX 1070 (a max load just above 200W), under gaming load the PSU fan did not spin up, I've not yet tested full system stress load.

I've also used the SF450 in about 5 other builds inside the ML08B (same case as the RVZ02), I've found that this case runs quite hot, but I've not known the PSU fan to come on under normal extended usage, although I've not checked in full load conditions, next time I build one I'll check. But I have had one of those 5 systems returned to me with a popped power supply, whether heat played a part I do not know.
Because cpu in this case is 65w plus 150w by gtx 1070 is 215w-260w...50% load of psu...i think that objective test is a real usage test...idle ( web, office) and load (gaming mode and tests); other specifc modes are unecessary IMO.
if i use i5 6600 and gtx 1080 with Silverstone sx700lpt in dan a4 case the system will be alaways off and especially cold like a grave. right?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
if i use i5 6600 and gtx 1080 with Silverstone sx700lpt in dan a4 case the system will be alaways off like a grave. right?

That's a much higher load than what I've tested so far with the SF450, plus I would expect the PSU to run warm inside a case without case fans.

My guess would be that the case fan would spin up during gaming, but at a low and quiet rpm.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
That's a much higher load than what I've tested so far with the SF450, plus I would expect the PSU to run warm inside a case without case fans.

My guess would be that the case fan would spin up during gaming, but at a low and quiet rpm.
I think silverstone could spin in this way...due case position in dan a4 i expect low temperatures because it blows cold air directly from open air..im these days i will choose which is the right for me between two

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
well, yes. it is a bit noisy on load. so with sf450 it is 90W and with sf600 it is 120W you can keep silent (if you have proper ventillation). I tried a simple load test with compiling kernel and also running some 4k to load the videocard, too. the whole system must be around ~120W at load, so I had only the lowest range of rpm.
and there is one more thing: 90W no fan is true at 25C ambient temperature. so if you warm up the case then it is possible that during idle mode you still will have the psu fan on while (and if) the internal of the case cools down.

::EDIT::
with the side of the case down I can not make the PSU fan move :) looks like the video card and cpu produce enough heat to warm up the case. no mprime nor stress or kernel build is enough to make it spin. And the CPU cores are also much cooler (70C vs 83C) with a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B.
What components do you have?

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Guys after i ecivedved a complete refund for previous psu...i've ju6st ordered on amazon.it my sx700lpt by silverstone...probably it will arrive next month because there was only one for avaiability at 170 euro. I'm so happy so it will be my dan a4 official psu:)

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Probably th
Yeah I had to return one of the SF450s

EDIT: I've also had ano EVGA 950 fail in one of these cases, but that's not really relevant to this topic! Again not sure if it's a heat issue, but the EVGA 950 also runs semi fanless like the SF450
probably the cases had poor airflow...?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
probably the cases had poor airflow...?

That depends on what you class as poor airflow?

The RVZ02 and ML08B do not have any dedicated case fans, but the layout does allow for the CPU, GPU and PSU to breathe fresh air through close proximity to the side vents (when their fans are on).

But if your GPU and PSU both run semi-fanless, then the only active airflow in the entire case is created by the CPU fan. So you do tend to get heat build up throughout the case even under light load.

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
What components do you have?
it is there in #19 :)
e3-1230 v2, 2x8G, 3x1T 2.5 HDD", 1x300G SSD, amd5450 lp, so roughly guessing around 120W at load.

K888D must be right with his own tests and now my tests also prove his measurement.
while corsair homepage says the sf450 fan starts moving at 90W @25C I was unable to reproduce it, not even 120W was not enough with good ventilation.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
it is there in #19 :)
e3-1230 v2, 2x8G, 3x1T 2.5 HDD", 1x300G SSD, amd5450 lp, so roughly guessing around 120W at load.

K888D must be right with his own tests and now my tests also prove his measurement.
while corsair homepage says the sf450 fan starts moving at 90W @25C I was unable to reproduce it, not even 120W was not enough with good ventilation.

Yeah it looks like they have a step up point at 180W, perhaps that is the point that the enough power is sent to the fan for it to start spinning if it's below a certain temperature?

rokabeka

Jul 9, 2016
Yeah it looks like they have a step up point at 180W, perhaps that is the point that the enough power is sent to the fan for it to start spinning if it's below a certain temperature?
I can immagine that but the graph says "SF 450 Fan Noise" and why would they start noise level at 90W without the fan spinning? but yeah, 180W and 270W must be some limits.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
My guess would be that the internal temperature of the PSU also plays a part in the fan curve equation. Perhaps the fan is activated at 90W if the PSU is above a certain temperature?

But if the PSU is running at a low temp then the fan doesn't activate till a higher wattage?

So the graph above would be showing worst case? But then it mentions 25C ambient, hmmm, confused.

I can say with complete confidence though that the fan does not activate until well above 90W load.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My guess would be that the internal temperature of the PSU also plays a part in the fan curve equation.

The controller on the SF600 at least takes both temp and load into account. At lower loads it will allow a higher temperature than it will at higher loads since the components aren't under as much stress.