Power Supply SilverStone SX700-LPT vs Corsair SF450 in terms of noise

ta0801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hi Aibohphobia,

thank you for your reviews of SilverStone SX700-LPT and Lian Li PE-750, I like the focus on the noise part, that’s the important part to me!

I’m planning to build a rig with a 6700K + GTX 1080 in a DAN A4 case, so from the power side, the Corsair SF450 would be sufficient for me.

But is has the smaller fan, so I wonder, if the SX700-LPT might be the better choice, when it comes to noise:

The smaller fan would probably spin faster under high load?

Maybe the fan of the SX700 will stay longer off?

Bearing noises?

What do you think, what is your personal opinion in terms noise?

In this case, price or power efficiency is not relevant to me, only noise J, so what would you choose?

Reactions: dragonerosso

Sergey

Efficiency Noob
May 26, 2016
Hi Aibohphobia,

thank you for your reviews of SilverStone SX700-LPT and Lian Li PE-750, I like the focus on the noise part, that’s the important part to me!

I’m planning to build a rig with a 6700K + GTX 1080 in a DAN A4 case, so from the power side, the Corsair SF450 would be sufficient for me.

But is has the smaller fan, so I wonder, if the SX700-LPT might be the better choice, when it comes to noise:

The smaller fan would probably spin faster under high load?

Maybe the fan of the SX700 will stay longer off?

Bearing noises?

What do you think, what is your personal opinion in terms noise?

In this case, price or power efficiency is not relevant to me, only noise J, so what would you choose?

I found yesterday SX700-LPT on amazon.com for $199. Was kind of disappointed:).

ta0801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
How annoyed do you get by bearing noise versus air noise?

That’s a taff question, since I think I never heard bearing noises. I only read in some reviews that I can be really annoying.

At the moment I installed 1 meter from my left ear on an old mainboard tray:

- Asus Z170I PRO GAMING

- Intel i5-6600 delidded, with stock Intel cooler

- MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G

- Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2

I ordered a Cyorig C7 and until the DAN A4 arrives I’m planning to upgrade my CPU (not that it would be really necessary) and my GPU.

This is all powered by a really old PSU “Corsair HX850W”.

I think this I by far the loudest component in my setup.

I just run 3DMark, I was only able to hear CPU or GPU if I was only a few centimeters close to the component with my ear.

If I start Prime95, the PSU starts to make some soft whirr additionally to the fan noise, which somehow stops after about a minute.

What I have read so far, the Corsair fans do not have any bearing noise problems.

I’m pretty convinced that under heavy gaming/ load you are not that sensitive to noise of you rig anyway.

But at tom’s Hardware they say at 350-450W the fan speed is about 2800-3200 rpm, which could be around 40dbA. And I imagine that 40dbA with some small fan can be annoying…

I think otherwise the Corsair SF450 would be the clear choice.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you notice the fan noise from a HX850 then you'll definitely notice the SF450. The SX700-LPT isn't silent either but it's a larger fan that'll be spinning at lower RPMs.

If you're not particularly sensitive to bearing noise and have the A4-SFX on the right side of your desk so the PSU fan is facing away, then I think you'll be happier with the SX700-LT. If price is no object and it's not delayed, you may consider the SX800-LTI. If it has the low load fan behavior of the SX700-LPT and the high load behavior of the PE-750, it should be pretty darn quiet.

ta0801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks!! I will wait until the A4 is about to arrive and then go for the Silverstone SX700-LT or if available the SX800-LTI!

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
That’s a taff question, since I think I never heard bearing noises. I only read in some reviews that I can be really annoying.

I made a video for you of the bearing noise from my SilverStone SX600-G. I find it really annoying, and have been planning on replacing it with Corsairs SFX... but now with these other options available I'm not 100% decided yet.

Computer is about 1.5ft away from me (about 1ft from the camera) on the desk, sideways behind my monitor. PSU side of the case is facing me.

Reactions: ta0801 and jeshikat

ta0801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Wow, thanks for the video - that sounds really annoying!!

Unfortunately, now I’m totally undecided again.

Even worst, what I have read so far, these bearing noises do not always occur with all Silverstone PSUs.

Sometimes, if the PSU is positioned on the side (like in the DAN A4) or you are just somehow lucky people write, that there are no bearing noises.

So what do we have:

Bearing noises (not necessarily) for I don’t know -75% of the time -

vs

some smaller, kind of high revving fan, while gaming.

I’m confused…

Since the DAN A4 is probably around 6 months away, I will wait – that’s a lot of time, may be some new info will appear and help for an easier decision.

Thanks again for the video.

ta0801

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Today I received my SX700-LPT:

With my current setup, it is always in passive mode:

3D mark or Prime95 – the fan does not move :)

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
Wow, thanks for the video - that sounds really annoying!!

Unfortunately, now I’m totally undecided again.

Even worst, what I have read so far, these bearing noises do not always occur with all Silverstone PSUs.

Sometimes, if the PSU is positioned on the side (like in the DAN A4) or you are just somehow lucky people write, that there are no bearing noises.

So what do we have:

Bearing noises (not necessarily) for I don’t know -75% of the time -

vs

some smaller, kind of high revving fan, while gaming.

I’m confused…

Since the DAN A4 is probably around 6 months away, I will wait – that’s a lot of time, may be some new info will appear and help for an easier decision.

Thanks again for the video.

I swapped the Silverstone SX600 for the Corsair SF600 today. Noise gone, so nice. Now the most annoying thing is the Gigabyte GTX770 fans. :)

IMO - I would opt for a smaller, high revving fan while gaming, but I wear headphones when I'm gaming. It sounds like the 700w is working out for you though since it also has a passive mode, so that's nice!

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
Hi guys. I'm really interested in this thread because i want to build new dan a4sfx with
I5 6600
H170i pro ac by msi
Gtx 1080
So i must yet choose between sf450 and sx700-lpt from silverstone. How good is silverstone psu in contrast to corsair one concerning noise, build quality, and temperature operation? Do you think a sf450 would be fine with my rig?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I only have the SF600 and I've read conflicting reports on how the fan noise compares between the SF600 and the SF450, so I'm not sure if the SF450 or the SX700-LPT is quieter at the kind of load levels you'll see.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I only have the SF600 and I've read conflicting reports on how the fan noise compares between the SF600 and the SF450, so I'm not sure if the SF450 or the SX700-LPT is quieter at the kind of load levels you'll see.
Thanks...in a typical day for 16h i'll stay in idle, 4-5h in gaming or less too...do you think that a sx700lpt will perform more silent than a corsair sf450 with previous scenario? I'll take silverstone also for upgrades in future and to do less heat...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At idle they should both be off or very quiet. At load I think the SX700-LPT will be quieter but it's hard to say for sure until someone like Tom's Hardware who has reviewed the SF450 also reviews the SilverStone.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I've read your sx700lpt rewiew and i hope fan controller and noise will be better than corsair one and more balanced fan curve.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
I have just replaced a silverstone st45sf-g with a corsair sf450. well, the SS is known to be a noise generator, but I love sf450! my home computer is not really power hungry (E3-1230 V2, Zotac H67 ITX-wifi, 2x8G Crucial Ballistix Tactical, amd 5450 lp, 3x1T HGST 2.5", intel ssd710 300G) in a lian li px-q07, but the fan of the PSU does not turn on if I just browse the net. what a difference!
most likely the st45sf-g will get a new fan and goes to power my 2-socket server (2x e5-2650L V2) later. I will do some load tests to see how loud is the corsair on full load but in idle this is awesome. if I had an EVGA video which does not turn on fan below 60C then It could be a really silent machine in idle.

dragonerosso

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2016
I have just replaced a silverstone st45sf-g with a corsair sf450. well, the SS is known to be a noise generator, but I love sf450! my home computer is not really power hungry (E3-1230 V2, Zotac H67 ITX-wifi, 2x8G Crucial Ballistix Tactical, amd 5450 lp, 3x1T HGST 2.5", intel ssd710 300G) in a lian li px-q07, but the fan of the PSU does not turn on if I just browse the net. what a difference!
most likely the st45sf-g will get a new fan and goes to power my 2-socket server (2x e5-2650L V2) later. I will do some load tests to see how loud is the corsair on full load but in idle this is awesome. if I had an EVGA video which does not turn on fan below 60C then It could be a really silent machine in idle.
Nice...hope to see updates...as said before i'm curious to see a tom's hardware rewiew of silverstone sx700lpt so we can do a objective comparasion between them. For my build i would to buy a sf450 but on pcpartpicker i saw 290w tdp and a 450w would be a bit smaller and noisy...the silverstone one would be perfect and a prospctive choiche for a 1080ti or any 250w tdp card. Noise off in idle and low noise in gaming are my goals. I'm not interested in torture test all time