Silverstone RVZ03B under Water-Custom-loop

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Wheyo Guys and im really appreciate to share my experience, progress and your feedback and suggestions to my project.
Whats the plan?
Im gonna build a custom loop into the Silverstone Raven RVZ03B.
There are some things where i have or want to make modifications. I try to keep you guys up to date.
I will edit this thread every time if have an update for you.
What else lets start with my actual configuration of hardware i already have for this build.

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ03B
Mainboard: Asus x470-I Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Asus Cerberus GTX 170Ti Advanced
PSU: Corsair SF600
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL 15 or CL 16
Strorage: 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD
Coolers:
EK-FC1070 GTX Ti ASUS RGB - Nickel
Alphacool Eisbaer LT240
EK-CoolStream SE 120 (Slim Single)

Planing to build in:
Water reservoir + pump:
Bitspower ddc mini tank Bykski B-FMpa-V3-X
Alphacool Laing DDC310 - Single

Last edited:

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Directy can confirm 2 Style Issues:
1. the inclosed psu cable of the Silverstone doesn't fit well in combinatuon with the corsair SF 600, the cable angle points into the opposite direction as the cable management does for it. A second Cable with a opposite direction would be great, unfortunately i didnt found the combination of angle and mounting to install to the case. Or i build it on my own but im not really experienced in this kind of cable work.

2. The enclosed PSU cage of the RVZ03 is really unconfortable. The cage only have the mounting points for a normal ATX Power Supply,.
Thanks to Corsairs PSU-package, a suitable bracket is inclosed. Anyway with the bracket, the power supply is hanging outdoors and only fixed on the mounting pounts at the backside. I dont really like the idear of that and as shown on the picture there is a lot of lost space due to that shape. Silverstone could improve that by replacing the cage with a bracket or attaching 2 cache designs in the package. How ever i would appreciate something that the PSU can be placed on the ground and giving the rest space for what ever (like a 3.5" hard drive as in the RVZ01. For me this is a downgrade for a already limited case.

Last edited:

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2019
Have you looked into whether the plug can be popped out and flipped over from inside the PSU?

Also, it seems like a pretty easy piece of sheet metal work to make your own adapter in any configuration that works for you. I built in a Raijintek Metis case a couple years ago and luckily found a SFF to ATX adapter that worked for me. Try doing a picture search.

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Have you looked into whether the plug can be popped out and flipped over from inside the PSU?

The inside cant be flipped over. For first i have to connect the cable as it is. that looks not perfect and i donw like the idear that a cable is bended that way like an "U". But making an own cable, where i dont have any experience is to risky i guess.

Also, it seems like a pretty easy piece of sheet metal work to make your own adapter in any configuration that works for you. I built in a Raijintek Metis case a couple years ago and luckily found a SFF to ATX adapter that worked for me. Try doing a picture search.

Yes a simple sheet of metal could solve that easily but how about the astethics? ^^ My target is, it should look more like predestined for it. So i made some measurements and started modeling my own PSU Cage (See pucture down below).

Next days i will go to the hardware store next to me, to buy a sheet of 0.8mm aluminum and try to cut, drill, sand and bending it into that shape. With this cage i can still use the already existing mounting holes without any adding extra mounts what i highly appreciate because i want to avoid any extra machining at the case as needed needed.
I would also appreciate if Silverstone would sold their PSU cage of the previous RVZ01 (not the RVZ01-E).

From my point of view they made a really downgrade starting with the updated version RVZ01-E. They deleted the slot for a slim disc drive and limited the psu cage. BTW. The GPU/Drive Bracket still have the mountings and recess for such a drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: internetfreak

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
Have an RVZ03B myself and have the same sentiments regarding the power supply situation. I had the exact same experience dealing with Silverstone, not too helpful in specific parts. "it's not compatible!" is all they say despite wanting to buy one anyways. Every little bit of extra space counts and I look forward to the results of your build.

Update: I persisted in my email the support person forwarded my email to another person, who is shiping one out to me for 10 bucks plus shipping. It's not going to be black but who cares, it's not like I've got a glass panel on the side. I was warned the mounting holes don't exactly line up. Idea would be to get two strips of aluminum, get the proper holes for the side of the case drilled into them. Then mount (epoxy or additional screws) it to the aluminum strips as an adapter.

No plans to do any kind of water cooling myself, don't care about the 3.5" drive either (already have a 4TB HDD). I just want the extra space for better cable management.​

Last edited:

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
So the power supply bracket came in,

Now I see why they say the screw holes don't line up. I'll attach some up close pics of the thing. Looks like I'll going with the epoxy since the screw holes are the way they are.

internetfreak

Cable Smoosher
Mar 3, 2019
Anudda update...

I successfully epoxied the SFX bracket to the aluminum strips. The extra bit of room allows me to route cables around the back of the power supply and allow for a little better cable management.

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
hello and late but little update to my build, i succesfully made my own bracket from alluminum according to my sketch above. Now i have sligtly more space in height, width and depth for further customisations. I also started making custom sleeved cables to avoid
unnecessary cablesalad and for better cable management.
Next step is measuring and preparation (cutting and bending) the tubes for the loop.

Pictures will follow

and here a view inside the case

Last edited:

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
i know it has been a while but here a little update on this project, after purchasing a 3d Printer i started designing a view parts to costumize the build more and printing them.

For example i designed a custom bracket for the gpu, that i can rotate it 180° that the gpu shows up instead of down. That oriientation allows that you can see the fan blades respectiv for custom loops then the waterblock which is much more aestetic right :p

Here i show you my designs until the final design:

Unfortunately that bracket didnt fit well so i redesignet it and here is the final version

This bracket uses the original angled sheet pieces of the frame

Last edited:

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
New Update:

It took me a extreme while until i was able to continue the project, but Reallife goes first. Nevertheless i invested many hours the last days to bring this project to a succesfull stage.

Here youe can see a updated 3d printing model for holding the PSU

It has inserts to place some nuts and fits to the same holes on the underside for the standard psu cage.
Furthermore i have create a bracket to mount an 2.5" Drive over the Radiator, because there is no other suitable free space for mounting them.
Special advantage: the harddrive stays super cool.

The bracket uses the same screw holes as for 120mm fans.

Reactions: aromachi and morj

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
So here are the created parts as 3d printout as finished product ready to install.

PSU bracket

GPU Bracket

2.5" holder

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
One of the biggist nightmare in such a case is definitive the cable routing, some of the RVZ03 cables are just so stupidly long, that cutting and recrimping is an suitable option. i was to lazy for this and so i used the good old zipties and in some cases sellotape :D.
Nevertheless the free space is extimely limited and then to reach the right position not easy but i tried my best.

the most annoying thing as before the oritentation of the psu cable that you need to bend it to a u to place in the psu, what also crops the free space behint it for other cables

Last edited:
Reactions: aromachi

TimoG89

Case Bender
New User
Sep 19, 2020
This is a really nice project. Might follow this as some kind of guide when I upgrade my current PC and use the old parts as a secondary system in my living room or when I'm traveling...

Also, are you planing on going hardline or softtubes??

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
This is a really nice project. Might follow this as some kind of guide when I upgrade my current PC and use the old parts as a secondary system in my living room or when I'm traveling...

Also, are you planing on going hardline or softtubes??
mostly will be hard tubes but i gonna use 2 softubesfrom the cpu block to the 120 Rad and from the Rad to the gpu. Otherwise i would not have access anymore to reach the mainboard vor maintaining or fixing issues

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Update: Tube routing was not easy. Due to the minimal space, its hard to measure and finding a right position.
I used a ton of 45° and 90° fittings to get it, but at the end i found a good solution.
Keep in mind by using my bracket design, a 15cm riser is slightly too short. The next length is 20cm what is ab bit too long but still suitable.
I placed the 120mm radiator direct over the cpu block, this is the only free space where you can mount it. First i thought, to place it over the PSU but it protrude over the cover. As written above @TimoG89 i used soft tubes for the radiator for better access to the mainboard. For the connection of the waterblock and the radiator i used a 20 cm soft tube and placed it between the riser and the GPU. Thats, respective a longer tube is important to avoid too tight bendings, furthermore you still have access for maintenance
by removing the radiator and GPU.

Photos of the final build will follow.

questions, request, all welcome!

Ricobandito

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
When will you upload the pics?
i will upload some pics of the final build, unfortunately i had to desamble everything again due to mainboard issues (GPU will not recognizes or runs with x8, x4 or x1... seems that the x16 lot of the Mainboard has an defect). ASUS decided to not repair. so now im sitting on that broken Mainboard