Recently, I looked at SilverStone’s VT02 – a subtle Mini-STX case along the lines of the ASRock DeskMini styling. Aftermarket cases for the M-STX form factor aren’t exactly common, but SilverStone does have two compatible models in the range – today’s review is of the VT01, the cheaper sibling to the VT02.
Inspired by the SilverStone TJ07 – an iconic (albeit huge) case of years gone, the VT01 is an ultra small case for the SFF generation. Built entirely from SECC steel, the VT01 isn’t exactly a pure descendant of the TJ07, but it does offer great value and a different take on the uSFF market segment from the little black boxes we are used to seeing.
Let’s take a deeper look!
The Specs

Model
SST-VT01S

Materials
0.8mm SECC

Motherboard
Mini-STX

Drive Bays
2.5″ x 1 (thickness≦9.5mm) internal

Front IO
USB 3.0 (Type-A) x 1
USB 3.0 (Type-C) x 1
Audio x 1
MIC x 1

CPU Cooler Limitation
34mm

Weight
582g

Dimensions
155mm (W) x...

Continue reading...

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks!
I am glad I went for the VT02 for my Intel build, which offers more room for cooling and cabling. I wasn't aware of the even smaller size of the VT01.

Also I am now using the closed cell foam from the box as ideally fitting vibration insulator for the VT02 case on the desk. The case remains both unobstructed and protected .

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I also have a VT02, the VT01 wouldn't work for me since I am using 2 x 2TB drives in the bottom. I also like the increased height for my NH-L9i

Reactions: confusis

gulliver

What's an ITX?
Aug 15, 2019
I wonder if those washers or other bits would allow you to replace the 11mm standoffs with a shorter space (trading the 2.5" space for cooler clearance)?

It also shouldn't be too hard to cut out the top ventilation square and replace it with a magnetic square filter. Either or both steps could help with noise and cooling!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The problem is as soon as you change the standoff height, the rear IO shield is useless :/

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Missed it till today...
Thank you @confusis for one more great review.
I especially appreciate that you emphasize on how recyclable or not the packaging is, this will hopefully lead the manufacturers in the right direction!

Reactions: confusis