confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Head writer SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Workshop
Editorial Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Recently, I looked at SilverStone’s VT02 – a subtle Mini-STX case along the lines of the ASRock DeskMini styling. Aftermarket cases for the M-STX form factor aren’t exactly common, but SilverStone does have two compatible models in the range – today’s review is of the VT01, the cheaper sibling to the VT02.
Inspired by the SilverStone TJ07 – an iconic (albeit huge) case of years gone, the VT01 is an ultra small case for the SFF generation. Built entirely from SECC steel, the VT01 isn’t exactly a pure descendant of the TJ07, but it does offer great value and a different take on the uSFF market segment from the little black boxes we are used to seeing.
Let’s take a deeper look!
The Specs

Model
SST-VT01S

Materials
0.8mm SECC

Motherboard
Mini-STX

Drive Bays
2.5″ x 1 (thickness≦9.5mm) internal

Front IO
USB 3.0 (Type-A) x 1
USB 3.0 (Type-C) x 1
Audio x 1
MIC x 1

CPU Cooler Limitation
34mm

Weight
582g

Dimensions
155mm (W) x...
Continue reading...

Reactions: Quango and Lone

Quango

Average Stuffer
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks!
I am glad I went for the VT02 for my Intel build, which offers more room for cooling and cabling. I wasn't aware of the even smaller size of the VT01.

Also I am now using the closed cell foam from the box as ideally fitting vibration insulator for the VT02 case on the desk. The case remains both unobstructed and protected .

rfarmer

Shrink Way Wielder
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
I also have a VT02, the VT01 wouldn't work for me since I am using 2 x 2TB drives in the bottom. I also like the increased height for my NH-L9i

Reactions: confusis

gulliver

What's an ITX?
Aug 15, 2019
I wonder if those washers or other bits would allow you to replace the 11mm standoffs with a shorter space (trading the 2.5" space for cooler clearance)?

It also shouldn't be too hard to cut out the top ventilation square and replace it with a magnetic square filter. Either or both steps could help with noise and cooling!

BaK

Master of Cramming
May 17, 2016
Missed it till today...
Thank you @confusis for one more great review.
I especially appreciate that you emphasize on how recyclable or not the packaging is, this will hopefully lead the manufacturers in the right direction!

Reactions: confusis