News [HW.info] Acer external GTX960M GPU Dock (Dutch)

Dutch news article.

In a nutshell
GTX960M GPU connected with Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type-C

245 x 130 x 23 mm
700 grams
135W AC Adapter included

extra connection include:
1x HDMI port, version not mentioned
2x Displayports, version not mentioned
3x USB 3.0 Type-A, Gen.1 or 5 Gbit/s
1x Gbit LAN

All this for 350USD
http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/47354/externe-gtx-960m-met-thunderbolt-3-bij-acer

I think this is a nice value, get a nice fast and efficient ultrabook for on the go and use this when you need some more GPU grunt for rendering, gaming, CAD etc.

I can see a lot of businesses jumping on these types of docks.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Whoa... that is really cool. The direction the PC industry is going, with external GPU docks is really exciting. Imagine that new Intel Skull Canyon NUC, paired with a 980M external GPU dock. That would be a sick little system.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
That's a really neat idea. Thunderbolt docks are still pretty expensive so this isn't a huge premium, and for a noticeable boost in performance.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
$150 cheaper than the GPU-less Razer Core to boot.

The tech behind these docks isn't expensive, but we're finally seeing the right standards, interfaces, and ecosystems whereby this will (hopefully!) start to take off.

Reactions: Tek Everything

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is more like it, I'm amazed they made it this small, even though it uses a mobile GPU. I would have expected this to be atleast two NUCs worth in size.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very cool! With the 960M I'm not worried that much about a performance loss either. It seems clear that they use two PCIe lanes for the GPU, and two for a four-port USB controller where one of those ports is connected to a USB-to-Ethernet adapter chip. Nothing fancy, but absolutely solid and pretty much everything I'd want from a docking station for my laptop. You even get Audio via HDMI or DP.