Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Lunesta

Efficiency Noob
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah, and although yes, everyone would love to make every fan a Noctua fan, at least you wouldn't have to deal with ugly brown?
If you can fit at least 63mm in the back, and the front gives you 40mm of total clearance, would a 35-38mm radiator with a single 25mm fan give enough surface area to make up for the lack of a front fan?

I think I edited my post while you were writing a response, it seems I might be wrong about it being 38mm and that it is 30mm. In any case,
I don't know how much more performance you would get out of a 240 rad like that versus a 120 and a fan next to it. I am no expert on the matter
but I imagine that by removing the fan below the motherboard and replacing it with just a rad might cause your motherboard to become quite
toastie, especially if you are considering the new x570 motherboards. Sometimes less is more I guess, haha. But for all I know I might be
wrong and I have no evidence to back up my claims.

Would love for more experienced sff builders to chime in, I am only just getting into sff builds. About to finish my degree and might soon
finally be able to afford a nice computer again, this case and the ncase m1 are right now at the top of my list for what I'll go for at that point.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, we'll see. I believe you're right as 30mm was what I'd seen somewhere.
Welcome to the most frustrating corner of the PC enthusiast community!
Surface area with high airflow, low FPI is king when it comes to running quietly. I'm not after max overclocks as much as a dead silent build that doesn't thermal throttle. I would like a tiny bit of overclocking headroom, but doubt that I would up the voltage at all to get it. I'm primarily interested in this, the C4-SFX, and the Sliger SM550/560 & SM570/580 cases right now. All have their perks and drawbacks, but such is SFF.
I'm currently running a Cerberus X, that pretty much gives you anything you could possibly need, except SSI-EEB support... Which of course was the one thing I wanted, but oh well, it fit my fallback SSI-CEB dual socket just fine. Unfortunately, it hasn't proven as portable as I'd hoped, turning out to be about half an inch too long to fit into most, if not all carry-ons, and no hope of fitting my 24" G Sync monitor in with it.
X570 is looking to be pretty great, between PCIe 4.0 storage capabilities, higher RAM frequency stability, and obviously the 16-core/32-thread CPU potential. It would make a great upgrade/travel alternative to my current dual 8-core setup. Although if possible, like most, I would prefer a passively cooled chipset. Which just puts more pressure on case airflow to keep things cool, so yes, going with a single rad fan is going to be a concern.

Reactions: Lunesta

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Given that the testing comparison features Koolance HX-CU420V, a 38mm thick 120 rad, with
noctuas a12x25 I'd say you are fine in the back. Whether it'll outperform with a 12mm fan is a
different story, one I'd be very interested to see actually.

Actually, an interesting point with those Scythe Slipstream fans. Although I don't personally
know them, they offer a solution to all the people begging for a 27mm aio solution. Sure it
may not be noctua, but the option is there at least.

Edit: 38mm might be wrong, a picture on the first page indicates that the koolance is 30mm
thick. In any case, that is still thicker than the SE 28mm.
The scythe one doesn't have PWM control.

Reactions: Lunesta

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Yeah, and although yes, everyone would love to make every fan a Noctua fan, at least you wouldn't have to deal with ugly brown?
If you can fit at least 63mm in the back, and the front gives you 40mm of total clearance, would a 35-38mm radiator with a single 25mm fan give enough surface area to make up for the lack of a front fan?

The problem with a lack of front (rear I believe you meant?) fan is that you'll have no airflow over the motherboard. You already have VRM and NVMe overheating concerns without airflow, yet alone with additional heat radiating directly off the radiator. May work a little better if you flip the case but you'll still have VRM overheating concerns, which you can see in Hardware Unboxed's YouTube video linked here,

tl;dr you'll want the fan

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
The scythe one doesn't have PWM control.
Right here fam

deeree

Trash Compacter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 4, 2017

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I’m planning on air cooling this case, but just curious if anyone can chime in, what prevents someone from doing a CPU+GPU Custom loop in this case? Apart from space constraints, is a 25mm or less radiator enough to cool both?

Sebbie

Trash Compacter
Apr 5, 2016
For people constantly mentioning custom GPU+CPU loops, this might be for you: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...e-with-distroplate-built-in.10743/post-151983
Also I would like to join others before me and ask if the fr33flow pump/block combo is expected to be available at launch of this case or later?

Why would i do that?
The case accomates a 240 radiator, we see numerous posts that it does, so om perfectly fine with this case and cooling both my CPU + GPU

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
are those holes big enough / enough quantity for air ventilation? I know the Ghost S1 looks to have more holes, but it still has some problems pushing air.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Why would i do that?
The case accomates a 240 radiator, we see numerous posts that it does, so om perfectly fine with this case and cooling both my CPU + GPU

That there is space for a radiator doesn't mean there is space for reservoir and pumps and fittings and tubing for both GPU and CPU though. If you make it fit, great, but just don't have such high expectations for a sub 10l case. OP has said several times now that for a full custom look people should look into the n1 that this isn't meant for full overclocking and full water cooling. Anyone is welcomed to try though, just don't expect everything to fit.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I can think of the Eisbaer LT Solo or the Swiftech Apogee Drive II for the CPU Block/Pump and the XSPC TX240 20mm radiator to save some space. Acceptable temps is something else altogether though.

Reactions: deeree

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
I can think of the Eisbaer LT Solo or the Swiftech Apogee Drive II for the CPU Block/Pump and the XSPC TX240 20mm radiator to save some space. Acceptable temps is something else altogether though.

As I recall, the TX240 is wider than the LT240, necessitating more machining to include compatibility for it. Since it didn't perform better than the LT240, support for it was going to be dropped. Did that change?

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
As I recall, the TX240 is wider than the LT240, necessitating more machining to include compatibility for it. Since it didn't perform better than the LT240, support for it was going to be dropped. Did that change?
You’re right, I forgot about that. TX240 is 278mm x 125mm whereas the LT240 measures 270mm x 120mm.

Thanks!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
are those holes big enough / enough quantity for air ventilation? I know the Ghost S1 looks to have more holes, but it still has some problems pushing air.

Testing High Ventilation Panel (expensive) vs Lower Ventilation Panel (cheaper).

The Ghost S1 uses 3mm holes, the T1 will use 4mm holes, so the Lower Ventilation Panel still has more ventilation.

The real challenge is cost, higher ventilation = 25%-40% more holes to be drilled, if you factor in failure rate (more holes = more likely to warp panel), that's going to be $15-$30 extra per panel depending on MOQ. For people running mid level setups, I don't know if it's even worth it.

Last edited:

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Testing High Ventilation Panel (expensive) vs Lower Ventilation Panel (cheaper).

The Ghost S1 uses 3mm holes, the T1 will use 4mm holes, so the Lower Ventilation Panel still has more ventilation.

The real challenge is cost, higher ventilation = 25%-40% more holes to be drilled, if you factor in failure rate (more holes = more likely to warp panel), that's going to be $15-$30 extra per panel depending on MOQ. For people running mid level setups, I don't know if it's even worth it.

Speaking aesthetically I think the left looks better, but it's hard to say without actually seeing it put together. Are those side panels or top/bottom? Maybe have them side by side on the case (or as a render) and have people vote via a poll similar to how Thor did with the Mjolnir? Mentioning the price increase of course.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Speaking aesthetically I think the left looks better, but it's hard to say without actually seeing it put together. Are those side panels or top/bottom? Maybe have them side by side on the case (or as a render) and have people vote via a poll similar to how Thor did with the Mjolnir? Mentioning the price increase of course.

We will most likely go with the higher ventilation, because I'm trying to get to 75C on the 9900K 160W-180W OC inside the case, which makes me feel good about 3700X/3800X/3900X OC.

It's that 3950X, I have no idea what to do.