Show your new toys Topic

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
This new toy is only shipping in November 2022, but so looking to getting it after missing out the first time around it was released.

Xmas present for myself!

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That seems to be quite the unit ! Very reminiscent of Transformers (the classic toys, not the crappy Bay-splosions)

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
It reminds me of the Zoids from my childhood back in the 80's

That seems to be quite the unit ! Very reminiscent of Transformers (the classic toys, not the crappy Bay-splosions)
Yeah yeah! They are Zoids! Been collecting them for a good 15 years or so?

These range is relatively new (compared to the old releases, where they were either battery or wind up engine powered), whereas these range is the super detailed range, like the best grade for gunpla.

Reactions: ignsvn

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

I had the Dinobot T-rex from back then. Was pretty chunky though that also made it harder to transform between robot and dino form. However, G2 Transformers were my fave.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

First try at a TKL keyb!
Only typing on it for a few hours, funny to see what my fingers want to do by themselves!
No no, the Enter key is no more there, this is a right arrow key now! XD

Coming from a Logitech G810, the sound is quite.... different!
I think I prefer the sound of the G810 so far, when releasing a key the spring noise (ping) coming from this K4 is indeed bothering! I will see if I get used to it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

First try at a TKL keyb!
Only typing on it for a few hours, funny to see what my fingers want to do by themselves!

LOL I totally understand.

It's funny whenever my friends (who use full-size 104 keys keyboards) type on my 75% keyboard..

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com

First try at a TKL keyb!

I think I prefer the sound of the G810 so far, when releasing a key the spring noise (ping) coming from this K4 is indeed bothering! I will see if I get used to it.

The key switch makes a big difference to your enjoyment of using the keyboard.

I switched to a TKL layout a few years ago to regain some desk space, and because I never used the numpad. Almost all of the switches I've had have been Cherry Red, or something similar (linear and silent).

I recently went even smaller and got the Drop Alt, which is a 75% layout where you have to press the Fn key in combination with the number row for Function Keys. They only had stock of it with Speed Silver switches, so I took it as I planned to change them anyway.

I've now been using them for a few months and they're by far my favorites, so now I'm thinking of lubing and filming them. This removes things like spring pinging noises.

Beware, the rabbit hole is deep once you go down it...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021

I switched to a TKL layout a few years ago to regain some desk space, and because I never used the numpad. Almost all of the switches I've had have been Cherry Red, or something similar (linear and silent).

I recently went even smaller and got the Drop Alt, which is a 75% layout where you have to press the Fn key in combination with the number row for Function Keys. They only had stock of it with Speed Silver switches, so I took it as I planned to change them anyway.

I've now been using them for a few months and they're by far my favorites, so now I'm thinking of lubing and filming them. This removes things like spring pinging noises.

Beware, the rabbit hole is deep once you go down it...
This is so true, I've lost a few friends to keybaddiction.

Thankfully I'm far easier to satisfy when it comes to keyboards, gimme Cherry brown switches (or equivalent knock-offs) and I'm a happy camper. They're still decently tactile with the springy return, but without the CLICK CLACK of the blues.

I currently have a WASD CODE87 (TLK) and a couple of cheap & cheerful Keychron K8 (one RGB backlit with metal case, one white backlit with plastic case). It literally does everything I need, USB-C + bluetooth (3 paired devices), backlit, basic function keys. Simples.

That said, I still love Thinkpad keyboards, if you're on the go. Hard to beat them for a laptop keyboard!

@BaK - see if you can borrow a couple of different keyboards to try the switches, you'll probably find one you prefer. There's a few options to choose from (read: about 40,000)

Reactions: Valantar

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

First try at a TKL keyb!

If you can open the case, you can try foam-modding it. Literally just shoving some foam between the PCB and the case. Can make a big difference with pinging. My old Das Q5 has some bad spring ping on it...

Reactions: BaK and AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If you can open the case, you can try foam-modding it. Literally just shoving some foam between the PCB and the case. Can make a big difference with pinging. My old Das Q5 has some bad spring ping on it...

Foam is a good idea. I bought a pair of speaker isolation pads like these for the job.

The pads are made of a nice dense foam, and they're cut with a taper that works well for the base found on most keyboards.

There's a post here with lots of info on various factors that can make mechanical keyboards loud, and how to fix most of them:

How to silence and sound-dampen your mechanical keyboard (wooting.nl)

WARNING: Rabbit Hole approaching, proceed with extreme caution!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Oh, we're talking keyboards! My addiction doesn't run as deep as some, but I'm certainly very happy with my Ducky One 2 TKL with Tuxedo caps, cherry brown switches and some custom wooden caps.

Yes, i need to clean my keyboard

DSC_1820.JPG

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

That's why I've chosen this K4 keyboard with linear red Kailh switches as I want something on the silent side.
The 5-10 review videos I watched before buying it all found it silent, and none mentioned the ping sound nor did I hear anything during the sound tests.
But while the stabilizers are quiet to my liking, the other keys are definitely not with this spring noise, especially the T, H and Q for some reason.
So I'm now trying to decrease these pings, and I've put the keyboard on a desk mat, which helps a little as a first option.

I will look into that second option, but thanks to Hardware Canucks (at 4:30) we see there is already some foam inside this keyb, at least in its Retro version:

So the third option is lubing the springs, which imply to desolder the switches on that K4 keyboard if I'm not mistaken.
Which made me watch videos on this topic and...
WARNING: Rabbit Hole approaching, proceed with extreme caution!
BAM! Right in it! 😱

How to silence and sound-dampen your mechanical keyboard (wooting.nl)
Since I'm in I will go further, thanks for the link!

Or be like me: use silent switch 😎
Silent Red you mean?
Hopefully I will not need to replace all my Kailh red with these!

It's funny whenever my friends (who use full-size 104 keys keyboards) type on my 75% keyboard..
My right hand has almost stopped trying to push the Enter key, but I'm still looking at the right of the keyboard when I need to type a number!

Reactions: AlexTSG