Show your new toys Topic

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Have two 12V AC-DC bricks, one of which I plan to tear down to see the actual size of the PCB etc. If it's favourable I would be keen to approach the supplier about doing an internal version.

If you aren't planning on continuing the Dynamo PSUs, that could be a great continuation!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Old laptop charger (Innergie 60C), meet the new laptop charger (Baseus BS-E915). Still GaN, 5W higher max power output, but most importantly more outputs. Now I can truly travel with just one charger. Also dirt cheap: normally $60 on Aliexpress, I got it at half off on a pre-Christmas sale (currently going for about $40, looks like). QC3.0, USB-PD 3.0, and everything else I could want. And it's just barely bigger.

Makes me look forward to GaN really arriving all the more.
Beware, my BS-EU910 disables quickcharge (the 9V mode) as soon as both Type As are populated. However populating the type-c doesn't have any effect on this. It's just a little bit of misleading advertising that caught me off-guard.
Just to follow up, I can confirm that this charger does phone fast charging from the 2nd USB-C port while also charging a laptop from the 1st USB-C. As an added bonus, apparently my Motorola One Zoom supports USB-PD fast charging - an unexpected bonus for an affordable phone. The charger is also back down to $29.99 with free shipping if anyone is interested.

Reactions: khanate

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
Just to follow up, I can confirm that this charger does phone fast charging from the 2nd USB-C port while also charging a laptop from the 1st USB-C. As an added bonus, apparently my Motorola One Zoom supports USB-PD fast charging - an unexpected bonus for an affordable phone. The charger is also back down to $29.99 with free shipping if anyone is interested.
This is not what I was talking about, to clarify - you will probably get 5V only when both 2nd USB-C port and the USB-A port is populated as indicated by the aliexpress listing linked. On the bottom there you see modes that the charger cycles through depending on which plugs are inserted.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is not what I was talking about, to clarify - you will probably get 5V only when both 2nd USB-C port and the USB-A port is populated as indicated by the aliexpress listing linked. On the bottom there you see modes that the charger cycles through depending on which plugs are inserted.
Doesn't look like it. While I have no way of actually measuring the voltage going into my phone, it still says it's charging by "TurboPower" when connected to the 2nd USB-C port even when all three ports are in use. While that might be 5V3A, 9V2A sounds more likely to me (less overall strain on the charger that way, after all). I was just charging my laptop (C 1), phone (C 2) and headphones (A) at the same time, and the phone stayed happily in TurboPower mode the whole time. Charging was quick too, although that's a very unscientific measurement.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I finally bought a TV. My first one in almost 10 years XD. Previous one was a 32" 100Hz Trinitron CRT. It's been hard to choose as I find that TVs are ugly. Was hesitating between Samsung Frame and Samsung Serif products, as they do not look like TVs and got a great rebate on a QLED Serif (almost 50% off) ....

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
@Valantar Yes, it could be that yours is different, or it could be that your phone can utilize a 5V3A mode. I posted because I was disappointed since my phone (S9+) charges significantly slower on 5V (at 1.7A-2A) than on 9V (1.7A).

BTW you can pick up one of those USB power meter things quite cheap and sometimes they will show some interesting stuff. I had to get one myself to see how much of a difference a change of USB cable can make. I had some cables laying around that will charge the same phone at 0.4A and others that will go up to the 1.7A mode...

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I finally bought a TV. My first one in almost 10 years XD. Previous one was a 32" 100Hz Trinitron CRT. It's been hard to choose as I find that TVs are ugly. Was hesitating between Samsung Frame and Samsung Serif products, as they do not look like TVs and got a great rebate on a QLED Serif (almost 50% off) ....

That is a sexy looking TV, hope the rest of your home lives up to it XD

Also, I hope you keep that CRT, it sounds like an awesome gaming display!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
That is a sexy looking TV, hope the rest of your home lives up to it XD

Not yet, we are changing everything in our appartment, including floor.

Also, I hope you keep that CRT, it sounds like an awesome gaming display!

Nope, it died 10 years ago. Bern TV-less since that time.

• Sad
Reactions: rfarmer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

New wheels and tyres!

Also picked up a FT03 Mini in black but the blood sacrifice i made to the PC gods early Jan hasn't gone my way, so that build is delayed.

That is still one of the best looking ITX cases out there IMO. In fact one of the ones that really got me into SFF. That design has aged very well.