Show your new toys Topic

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Some Mister upgrades/updates.

Figured out how to get the Neo Geo, Amiga (Minimig) and C64 cores working.

I have also got the 128MB RAM upgrade and some nice covers for it.

Still waiting on a few things including a Mayflash F300 stick that I plan on modding. Should make the arcade games feel more authentic.

Reactions: Valantar

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Valantar - Outside of a 3.5 jack for games that run off tapes, no.

On the subject of how to get content legitimately for the system, there is a surprising amount of stuff you can get. SEGA (does what Nintendon't) has a set on Steam via the Mega Drive/Genesis collection, Atari has the Atari Vault on Steam, there are a set of Neo Geo games via Humble Bundle, Mame have a few things on their site, then you have Amiga Forever and C64 Forever via the guys at Cloanto and to top it off the new homebrew stuff on Itch.io

Conveniently that's really all I'm interested in so I guess luck is on my side here. I believe that FPGA's are the future for retro gaming so I hope this list increases in the future.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Ordered an ThreeA Optimus Prime The Last Knight (Exclusive Edition) figure about 3 months ago and it arrived about a week ago. It was quite expensive, but I'm really happy with it :)

Edit: If anyone is interested in a photo of it, next to my Dan A4 SFX (which makes the figure look absolutely huge), please post below requesting it and I'll make it happen!

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Perhaps the following is not a toy "per se" but it is my new toy for sure! I just finished before the weekend and haven't had time to play with it yet ?
It is nothing else than me following one of the multiple "Ambilight for pc DIY dumb edition babysteps included" that you can find on the internet. That LED stripe you see had take 3 months to arrive (thx COVID) but with everything in place I finally could attempt the project, with very pleasant results I must say ?.

Thanks to a friend of mine for print me this very slim and discrete case for the Arduino Nano

Here the 3 month delayed LED stripe, just regular RGB addressable led, nothing special about it

Using a cardboard template of my monitor's back, I cutted the needed lenghts for each side

Making the corner soldering was quite delicate, but i didn't want to use the 90º connector and give up to having a led on the very corner

Soldering battlefield. Since the led is like 1.6 meters long (or 8.98 bananas for international scale) I thought that it would be better to give it power through each end, preventing voltage drops over the lenght of the stripe itself

Arduino ground cable and led's power soldered and insulated

All together, ready for the first test

Test looked amazing (note that the colour of the screen and the stripe are mirrored because the leds are going to go on the backside)

And the final result once all was mounted and configured

The cost of this project is about 25€ and the results "shine" ? for themselves!

Hope you like it.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Perhaps the following is not a toy "per se" but it is my new toy for sure!

I think that a "toy" in this regard is more meant as a term for something you recently purchased, whatever it may be. "Toy" is just a term to make it a bit more funny.
This thread could also be named "Show your latest purchase topic", if you so will :)

Reactions: SiKiaTriK

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

I swapped the bar top back to a ball top. I was originally going for a SEGA Astro City look, but that red works well with the green. Plus the rest of my Mister Stuff has been dispatched, yay!

Has anyone tried building a SFF setup in an arcade stick?

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That coilovers look so good! Care to share where are they going to be installed? ?

In my Toyota Auris :)
Installed Pics later today.

Wait, is that ... open space? Around your motherboard? I am deeply disappointed.

On a more serious note, wow those CPU coolers are tightly spaced. I'm impressed you got them in there!

The GPU was removed from that shot, had to get to a header underneath it XD

The board has the perfect spacing for the Noctua NH-D15s coolers, even with the sockets being offset

(20 cores, 40 threads, 128GB RAM)

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

It's filthy af though - we have a hose/carwash ban here as we are under the worst drought this city has ever seen - it's rained 80% less this week than it did last year, as an example. Right now the reservoirs are at 44% full, when they should be at 77% for this time of year :|

Reactions: Lone and Phuncz

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019

It's filthy af though - we have a hose/carwash ban here as we are under the worst drought this city has ever seen - it's rained 80% less this week than it did last year, as an example. Right now the reservoirs are at 44% full, when they should be at 77% for this time of year :|

It has been a couple cm lowering maybe? It is hard to tell being the angle so different between both pictures, but looks nice overall :) If the regulations were not as ridiculous as they are over here I would install something similar on my Peugeot 308.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Ordered an ThreeA Optimus Prime The Last Knight (Exclusive Edition) figure about 3 months ago and it arrived about a week ago. It was quite expensive, but I'm really happy with it :)

Edit: If anyone is interested in a photo of it, next to my Dan A4 SFX (which makes the figure look absolutely huge), please post below requesting it and I'll make it happen!
Man... a chance to see that sick mecha AND a Dan A4 all together on the same picture? It was really necessary to ask ?? (I'm more over gundam/eva myself: they're not as big nor detailed but I love them) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Got some tax money back, so I finally ordered that telephoto lens I've been drooling over ever since it launched - Pentax HD DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE (yes, the camera world might be the only place you'll find even more abbreviations than in the PC world). Love how compact it is, and the range is exceptional for the size - 450mm equivalent at the long end (K-70 has an APS-C sensor with 1.5x crop factor). The PLM focus motor is lightning fast, which will make this excellent for birds and animals, and the weather resistance is a big plus too. It's pretty sad how Pentax seems to be fading out of the DSLR market, their gear always has some unique selling points that their competitors never come close to. But at least I've got an excellent camera for the next decade or so (K-70) and now almost all the glass I could want for it too. Just "need" a replacement for my rather poor wide-angle, but given that the only option is ~$1500 that'll have to wait a while.

And after briefly testing the lens I'm so happy the camera has good image stabilization. Handholding a 450mm lens, even one as light as this, is difficult. If I didn't have IS I would likely need to use a monopod at all times :p