Show your new toys Topic

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The past couple of days have been a bonanza of new toys for me.

Few days back: New mouse pad from AliExpress.

Pretty happy with it considering it cost $8, even if the "white" is more like a very light blue-gray. Not the smoothest, but it works, and fits my desk area perfectly.

Yesterday:

The HT5 arrived! Have to give some serious credit to @K888D for both impeccable service, a quick turnaround for a somewhat custom order, and last but not least the impeccable packaging of the case. I haven't unwrapped everything (still don't have anything to put in the case, so unsure if I'll build it now or not), but the fit, finish and attention to detail (a plastic case with every type of screw or small component in its own compartment!) is far superior to most big-brand cases I've bought. Very much looking forward to building this.

Then I got this today:

I'm finally going to play Breath of the Wild :D

And lastly a surprise arrival from @guryhwa (he sent me the DHL tracking number and told me it would ship out from Hong Kong today):

One for the Lazer3D build, the other for my increasingly Frankensteinian Dell Optiplex.

Not running out of projects, that's for sure.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The past couple of days have been a bonanza of new toys for me.

Few days back: New mouse pad from AliExpress.
Pretty happy with it considering it cost $8, even if the "white" is more like a very light blue-gray. Not the smoothest, but it works, and fits my desk area perfectly.

Yesterday:
The HT5 arrived! Have to give some serious credit to @K888D for both impeccable service, a quick turnaround for a somewhat custom order, and last but not least the impeccable packaging of the case. I haven't unwrapped everything (still don't have anything to put in the case, so unsure if I'll build it now or not), but the fit, finish and attention to detail (a plastic case with every type of screw or small component in its own compartment!) is far superior to most big-brand cases I've bought. Very much looking forward to building this.

Then I got this today:
I'm finally going to play Breath of the Wild

And lastly a surprise arrival from @guryhwa (he sent me the DHL tracking number and told me it would ship out from Hong Kong today):
One for the Lazer3D build, the other for my increasingly Frankensteinian Dell Optiplex.

Not running out of projects, that's for sure.

Cool stuff.
I <3 your keyboard!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Cool stuff.
I <3 your keyboard!
Thanks! In case you're interested it's called the Lenovo Thinkpad Compact USB Keyboard with Trackpoint. Yeah, clever naming that ;) That keyboard was a real lucky discovery, have to be thankful to Lenovo for doing the blindingly obvious thing and making a discrete/external version of their excellent laptop keyboards (and even being nice enough to make it with a Nordic layout). The only minor annoyance is that the unusual FN and CTRL position is less than ideal for gaming, and can only be reversed through a BIOS setting on Lenovo ThinkPad/-Station PCs. The keys feel fantastic, with just the right amount of click both in terms of noise and feel, and perfect resistance. AFAIK it's the same keyboard as in the T430. While I would probably have preferred the older style, non-chicklet board from the T410 (similar to my old X201, which is hopefully still being loved and used by the person I sold it to 8 years into its life), it is nonetheless a great typing experience. The trackpoint is a nice bonus too, though it's been a bit drifty (and the cap is long since worn smooth - I should get a new one). I am seriously considering getting one of the bluetooth versions as well, but it annoys me that that one only works wirelessly and can't double as a wired keyboard. Still might be worth it as a spare/travel keyboard, as while I do like the mechanical keyboard at work, I might actually prefer this for long-term typing. And it's eminently compact.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks! In case you're interested it's called the Lenovo Thinkpad Compact USB Keyboard with Trackpoint. Yeah, clever naming that That keyboard was a real lucky discovery, have to be thankful to Lenovo for doing the blindingly obvious thing and making a discrete/external version of their excellent laptop keyboards (and even being nice enough to make it with a Nordic layout). The only minor annoyance is that the unusual FN and CTRL position is less than ideal for gaming, and can only be reversed through a BIOS setting on Lenovo ThinkPad/-Station PCs. The keys feel fantastic, with just the right amount of click both in terms of noise and feel, and perfect resistance. AFAIK it's the same keyboard as in the T430. While I would probably have preferred the older style, non-chicklet board from the T410 (similar to my old X201, which is hopefully still being loved and used by the person I sold it to 8 years into its life), it is nonetheless a great typing experience. The trackpoint is a nice bonus too, though it's been a bit drifty (and the cap is long since worn smooth - I should get a new one). I am seriously considering getting one of the bluetooth versions as well, but it annoys me that that one only works wirelessly and can't double as a wired keyboard. Still might be worth it as a spare/travel keyboard, as while I do like the mechanical keyboard at work, I might actually prefer this for long-term typing. And it's eminently compact.

Yeah, I know what keyboard it is. All thinkpad keyboards are super cool. Am I the only one that uses a trackpoint religiously?

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, I know what keyboard it is. All thinkpad keyboards are super cool. Am I the only one that uses a trackpoint religiously?
I always prefer trackpoints to trackpads at least, it's just a shame that the one on my keyboard is a bit wonky as mentioned above. Still, I will be replacing the nub to see if that helps. There's no real contest for any kind of precision mousing or complex (click-and-drag etc.) movement though - trackpoints are far superior to any other portable solution. Everything else is either slow, cumbersome, imprecise, or any combination of the three. A good mouse can be better, but not for everything. The reduction in RSI from not moving your mouse arm back and forth is also welcome.

• Love
Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I always prefer trackpoints to trackpads at least, it's just a shame that the one on my keyboard is a bit wonky as mentioned above. Still, I will be replacing the nub to see if that helps. There's no real contest for any kind of precision mousing or complex (click-and-drag etc.) movement though - trackpoints are far superior to any other portable solution. Everything else is either slow, cumbersome, imprecise, or any combination of the three. A good mouse can be better, but not for everything. The reduction in RSI from not moving your mouse arm back and forth is also welcome.

I completely agree. I haven't touched the trackpad on my thinkpad since I got it. Then again, the trackpoint was the reason I got it!

Reactions: Valantar

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Completely redid my setup. All started with the monitor arm, then got the desk, dual laptop holder for my personal and work laptops, walnut wrist rest, and finally the walnut phone dock

All that's missing is a mouse pad and a PC. The LZ7 in all black with walnut front panel would be perfect for where the Lego Mini Cooper is currently sitting

For reference this was the old setup

PS: Uploaded both pics to Imgur and tried to insert them into this post but am only getting errors. Can't use Google Photos links either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

PPS: Thanks @Valantar for the help, worked perfectly!

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Completely redid my setup. All started with the monitor arm, then got the desk, dual laptop holder for my personal and work laptops, walnut wrist rest, and finally the walnut phone dock

Current Setup

All that's missing is a mouse pad and a PC. The LZ7 in all black with walnut front panel would be perfect for where the Lego Mini Cooper is currently sitting

Old Setup

For reference this was the old setup

PS: Uploaded both pics to Imgur and tried to insert them into this post but am only getting errors. Can't use Google Photos links either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Nice setup! For your pictures: go to your Imgur post, click the three dot menu button on the picture you want, click Get share links, and copy the BBcode version into your post. Works flawlessly for me, and avoids the annoying gallery embeds.

Reactions: Weredawg

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Not my own photo, but I got this card recently, a 390X Strix:

This is going to be my main GPU for now and also test GPU for thermal testing and fit for my custom case. I'm tempted to pick up another 390X later on since they've gotten very cheap and Crossfire them for some more affordable 1440P gaming. The card looks so nice not to do that. But that's for another build...

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016

Got some stuff for my projects ? (which i'm not very good at finishing...)

Two Artesyn CPS253-M PSUs (250W, 4" x 2")
And 3 Different m.2 to PCIe risers

Last edited:
Reactions: Choidebu

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Do those risers seem of high enough quality?
They seem very sturdy and high quality to me!

My issue is that while they are flexible enough in the "direction" of the flat cable, they are too stiff for twisting, and I need one of them to twist and fold. Hopefully that made sense. I think I'm going to have to turn one of the risers into a guinea pig to see if I can strip off some of the outer plastic/insulation to make tighter bends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
They seem very sturdy and high quality to me!

My issue is that while they are flexible enough in the "direction" of the flat cable, they are too stiff for twisting, and I need one of them to twist and fold. Hopefully that made sense. I think I'm going to have to turn one of the risers into a guinea pig to see if I can strip off some of the outer plastic/insulation to make tighter bends.
I can second that impression of ADT's risers - sturdy and good quality, but stiff cabling. Works very well in my Optiplex.