Show your new toys Topic

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Ya know, I Googled the relative performance and ot seems that a 1660 ti or OC'd 1660 is roughly equivalent to a titan X o_O

Kind of amazing how the king of two gens back is now beaten by the mid-low end card
Techpowerup rates the 1660 ti as 70% of a TXp, though I doubt those numbers are really comparable given that the TXp hasn't been tested in quite a while.

Not much of a "toy", but I finally got the riser for my modded Optiplex SFF.

A marked improvement over the cheapo IDE cable style ones I tried previously.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Techpowerup rates the 1660 ti as 70% of a TXp, though I doubt those numbers are really comparable given that the TXp hasn't been tested in quite a while.

Yeah, I was thinking about the titan maxwell. Forgot that the titan xp was black!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah the old Kings can’t reign forever certainly. Maxwell Titans have to be pretty cheap to be interesting these days.

The one I have pictured a Titan x Pascal however.

Reactions: Damascus

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016

Which riser did you go with for the optiplex Mod? Those chassis are pretty cheap as salvage and I would love do a similar mod. Have build log for reference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Which riser did you go with for the optiplex Mod? Those chassis are pretty cheap as salvage and I would love do a similar mod. Have build log for reference?
It's an ADT-link riser off Aliexpress, cost around $25 for the 5cm version. They have a decent reputation, and sell directly from their own site if you're willing to pay for semi-expensive shipping. They also have an official Aliexpress storefront, but I got it from somewhere else (that very conspicuously never mentioned the ADT-link brand in the description, leading me to think that the company wants to keep sales in-house). Still, it's entirely genuine and quality seems very good. I'll edit in a link to the one I bought here once I get home. They have a bajillion different lengths and connector types, but 5cm and straight (not angled) connectors was perfect here (an angled connector would make for a painful double bend and likely conflict with the CPU cooler. Note that you'll need a <40mm CPU cooler to fit a GPU in there - the L9i works very well.

I have a build log thread over in the build logs forum, you'll likely find it there or in my profile. With this in hand the only thing I need is to cut more vents into the side panel and cover the holes with some plastic filter mesh. Pretty happy that I've got an RX 570 running at stock clocks and voltages off the crappy 240W (200W 12V) PSU, but it works fine. Probably won't handle Furmark+Prime95, but Rocket League and 3DMark work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Here's the link for my riser. As you can see it's labeled "CY" or something with no mention of any branding, and the renders and photos are either edited or carefully framed to not show the ADT-link logo, but it's the same stuff as you can get on their own site or their AliExpress store. Their variety of PCIe risers and other cabling is really impressive.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
A large part of the PC tinkering hobby (obsession!?) for me is deal hunting for used parts to play with. Over the past month or so I have accumulated enough for another build.

I just installed an e5 1650v2 and did a post test today.

P9x79 Pro
Xeon e5 1650v2
16gb Corsair Vengeance in quad channel
240g SSD boot
MSI 1660 Gaming X
Silverstone SFXL 500w PSU
Corsair H100i V2

Everything is used Save for the SSD and technically the 1660. It was open box at Microcenter. Retail price was 249 but marked down to 199 so went for it.
Also I have a Thermaltake G3 NIB that I never used so thinking of wall mounting this hardware in that. OR go nuts and move my WC Ryzen build to the G3 and wall mount for the main PC. Then could dump the Xeon build into the CerbX for easy moving and having the option to populate the expansion slots if desired. Be nice to utilize some of those 40 pcie lanes that x79 offers. This all started with the good deal on the board and ram so have NO plan at all really. Totally winging it.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Bought a pair of Fostex TE-05 IEM for the missus. Just couldn't stand to see her buy el'cheapo headphones. Her first step into real audio.

They are very interesting IEM. Light weight but sturdy thanks to the machined aluminum body. The cable is detachable (MMCX connectors) and is of a quality at that.

Sound wise they are impressive. Very good value for the price (99€).

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Just got my Google Pixel 3a, so far I have to say it is a really nice phone. If what they say about the camera is true this is the last time I will say sorry about the shitty cell pics. :p

Bought if from B&H Video and received a $100 gift card, so I bought a 1TB Crucial M.2 NVMe.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
So I like deals and today I had to go to Microcenter for an iPad for the Mrs.. (Look if you are Married and your better half wants an iPad you say "Oh great! which one? --trust me- buy the effing iPad Ok?)

Anyway so MC is basically an enabler for my desire to mess around with new hardware.. Long story short open box 2060 super Ultra by EVGA for 356 and change..

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3067-KR

You know what? Its faster, way less noise and thirsty than the Vega64 I sold for more money so pretty happy with it. Unitll the next thing of course. ?

This is on an e5 1650v2 at 4.4

Firestrike
18409 overall
22800 graphics

Tweaktown review of 2060 super with 8700k @ 5Ghz
19867 overall
22023 graphics

The old x79 beast can still put up some numbers even at 600mz less!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Not new by any means, but when I went looking for an Ethernet cable at my parents' house recently I came across my old Logitech MX700 sitting in a box, including the receiver/charging dock and AC adapter. Couldn't just let that lie - best mouse I ever had, and I'm still mad I abandoned it for the far less comfortable MX1000 Laser (yeah, I bought into the "ZOMG lasers!" hype).

Just too bad I was really stupid at the age of 18 and decided to sand it down and paint the silver part of it red. My complete lack of spray paint experience is worth mentioning - it turned out uneven (not bubbly or drippy, just ... not smooth) and rather ugly. I didn't have any paint stripper handy, but a 2-day bath in isopropyl alcohol loosened the paint from the surface enough to peel and scrape it off. Too bad I ruined the original finish, but at least this time I can paint it properly. The dark blue parts are actually worse: as with all Logitech products with soft-touch rubber coatings that I've had lying unused over time, the rubber turns sticky and disgusting (leeching plasticizers is my bet), and trying to clean the stickiness just removes the rubber outright.

So no, this mouse doesn't look good at the moment. Also, it's in pieces currently, drying out. But I'll be damned if I'm not going to get it working again.