• Updates are afoot! Track our progress, report bugs, and make feature requests in our dedicated update thread. Read more
    Our latest release introduces full-screen post editing, ignorable forums and threads, lazy loading, unread thread icons, and other enhancements

Off Topic Show your new toys Topic

Valantar

Master of Cramming
Jan 20, 2018
Ya know, I Googled the relative performance and ot seems that a 1660 ti or OC'd 1660 is roughly equivalent to a titan X o_O

Kind of amazing how the king of two gens back is now beaten by the mid-low end card
Techpowerup rates the 1660 ti as 70% of a TXp, though I doubt those numbers are really comparable given that the TXp hasn't been tested in quite a while.

Not much of a "toy", but I finally got the riser for my modded Optiplex SFF.

A marked improvement over the cheapo IDE cable style ones I tried previously.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Silver Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Techpowerup rates the 1660 ti as 70% of a TXp, though I doubt those numbers are really comparable given that the TXp hasn't been tested in quite a while.

Yeah, I was thinking about the titan maxwell. Forgot that the titan xp was black!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah the old Kings can’t reign forever certainly. Maxwell Titans have to be pretty cheap to be interesting these days.

The one I have pictured a Titan x Pascal however.

Reactions: Damascus

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016

Which riser did you go with for the optiplex Mod? Those chassis are pretty cheap as salvage and I would love do a similar mod. Have build log for reference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valantar

Master of Cramming
Jan 20, 2018
Which riser did you go with for the optiplex Mod? Those chassis are pretty cheap as salvage and I would love do a similar mod. Have build log for reference?
It's an ADT-link riser off Aliexpress, cost around $25 for the 5cm version. They have a decent reputation, and sell directly from their own site if you're willing to pay for semi-expensive shipping. They also have an official Aliexpress storefront, but I got it from somewhere else (that very conspicuously never mentioned the ADT-link brand in the description, leading me to think that the company wants to keep sales in-house). Still, it's entirely genuine and quality seems very good. I'll edit in a link to the one I bought here once I get home. They have a bajillion different lengths and connector types, but 5cm and straight (not angled) connectors was perfect here (an angled connector would make for a painful double bend and likely conflict with the CPU cooler. Note that you'll need a <40mm CPU cooler to fit a GPU in there - the L9i works very well.

I have a build log thread over in the build logs forum, you'll likely find it there or in my profile. With this in hand the only thing I need is to cut more vents into the side panel and cover the holes with some plastic filter mesh. Pretty happy that I've got an RX 570 running at stock clocks and voltages off the crappy 240W (200W 12V) PSU, but it works fine. Probably won't handle Furmark+Prime95, but Rocket League and 3DMark work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

Valantar

Master of Cramming
Jan 20, 2018
Here's the link for my riser. As you can see it's labeled "CY" or something with no mention of any branding, and the renders and photos are either edited or carefully framed to not show the ADT-link logo, but it's the same stuff as you can get on their own site or their AliExpress store. Their variety of PCIe risers and other cabling is really impressive.

Reactions: TheHig