Show your new toys Topic

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Picked up another raid card for my server, its a fairly old model by today's standards but is more than sufficient for my needs & the price was right. Unfortunately I broke a pin opening up the back of my PCIe x1 riser so I cant install it right now but the real solution is to get a motherboard w/ more PCIe lanes (something I'm currently working on).

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Been working like crazy to fund my S4 build but needed a new toy for use while working and am thoroughly pleased with this purchase.

GW-5510-1BJF

1985 still looks good 32 years later (the watch not me...unless you really think so...)

Love this watch, Casio makes my favorite rough and tumble timepieces.

Since I am always moving around, school in one place, work in another, family everywhere, my AE-1200WH Casio World Time is my new go to and it is always well under $50.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My last post in A Tale Of Two MMO Gaming Mice alluded to a new mouse which I am am keeping. I got a Logitech G600 which was first released in 2012. The ergonomics (for me) are excellent, the design is more in line with Logitech's M-Series mice (understated and smooth), and the configurability (under Linux, macOS, and Windows) is great. It could probably be configured similarly to the 3Dconnexion CadMouse, @Boil .

I think, @zovc , that the reason that these mice don't get big design updates after a few years are because of how well they are designed in the first place and how niche they are. Given that the G600 costs approximately 67% of the Naga on Amazon right now, I decided on the G600 and I am glad that I did.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I need to know if people actually use the ridiculous amount of buttons on that mouse (respect!). I don't see why not but it would take a while for me to get used to for sure.

I used to have so many binds for WoW that I needed to use Shift, CTRL, ect. That was years ago in the first X-Pac era. Really was a pain trying to control character movement on ASDW, while needing to use a modifier key and ability at the same time, and I remember it led to plenty of problems. Still I took one look at that thing and couldn't do it.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I need to know if people actually use the ridiculous amount of buttons on that mouse (respect!). I don't see why not but it would take a while for me to get used to for sure.

I used to have so many binds for WoW that I needed to use Shift, CTRL, ect. That was years ago in the first X-Pac era. Really was a pain trying to control character movement on ASDW, while needing to use a modifier key and ability at the same time, and I remember it led to plenty of problems. Still I took one look at that thing and couldn't do it.
I use them. While I do save a lot of space by going to a 60% keyboard, I still need certain keys such as those on the number pad for applications like Blender and FreeCAD.

Last edited:

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
So it's not technically a toy but I think it's pretty awesome so I wanted to post it here :p

Got a genuine Molex crimper :)

I know, I know, "what could possibly be exciting about a pair of crimpers??" - Lots of things actually :) Here are a few advantages of this one vs. my "old" ones:
  • Easier to squeeze (seriously, the "old" ones were hard to squeeze until they released so I had resigned myself to manually releasing them)
  • Holds the pin for you and has a wire stop (this is amazing because that means that I can get perfectly matching crimps without as much effort/skill)
  • Helps me do crimps faster because of the above-mentioned things (I want to have someone time me to see how much less time it takes me with them. Tomorrow seems a good candidate :))
So, "do I think they are worth the $150 I paid for them?" - heck yeah! tho I'd be less enthusiastic if I had paid the $300+ they go for brand new...

Anyways, hopefully I didn't post this in the wrong place. I was just too excited not to share :)

(Yes that probably means I'm crazy lol)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So it's not technically a toy but I think it's pretty awesome so I wanted to post it here :p

I know, I know, "what could possibly be exciting about a pair of crimpers??" - Lots of things actually :) Here are a few advantages of this one vs. my "old" ones:
  • Easier to squeeze (seriously, the "old" ones were hard to squeeze until they released so I had resigned myself to manually releasing them)
  • Holds the pin for you and has a wire stop (this is amazing because that means that I can get perfectly matching crimps without as much effort/skill)
  • Helps me do crimps faster because of the above-mentioned things (I want to have someone time me to see how much less time it takes me with them. Tomorrow seems a good candidate :))
So, "do I think they are worth the $150 I paid for them?" - heck yeah! tho I'd be less enthusiastic if I had paid the $300+ they go for brand new...

Anyways, hopefully I didn't post this in the wrong place. I was just too excited not to share :)

Nah, tools are just toys for grownups :) Very few things are more satisfying than using the right tool for the job.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I like Thinkpads. No nonsense machines with tons of ports and good build quality. Got an x270 (right) to replace my x120e (left). Not gaming machines but they have good portability and linux compatibility, great for loading bootable linux sticks or a secure environment.

I'm way more excited about this though:

For $20 I got a box of parts no one wanted, for use in case prototyping.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2017

Nice, but how do you know the right ones to get? Molex do so many! And with no clear descriptions

Reactions: AleksandarK

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Nice, but how do you know the right ones to get? Molex do so many! And with no clear descriptions

I just searched for the model number I got from another sleever so that's all I know about that lol.

The model number to search would be "63819-0900". Fwiw, mine are 63819-0900F

The last letter isn't that important as I imagine that it's just an indicator of the place of manufacture or something since the ones I got have a different last letter than the other sleever's pair but they're exactly the same aside from that.

One thing that the molex crimpers don't do very well/easily are double crimps (where you have two wires going into the same terminal), for those at least the other style works better. Other than that they are pretty fantastic :)

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2017
I just searched for the model number I got from another sleever so that's all I know about that lol.

The model number to search would be "63819-0900". Fwiw, mine are 63819-0900F

The last letter isn't that important as I imagine that it's just an indicator of the place of manufacture or something since the ones I got have a different last letter than the other sleever's pair but they're exactly the same aside from that.

One thing that the molex crimpers don't do very well/easily are double crimps (where you have two wires going into the same terminal), for those at least the other style works better. Other than that they are pretty fantastic :)
Great, thanks.
Just ordered some from the US