Show your new toys Topic

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hadn't posted the toy that was delivered last month here.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Drooooooone! Bought for a song from a colleague due to the gimbal assembly just swinging in the breeze and them not wanting the hassle of dealing with it. Looks like it's just a mounting/anti-vibe plate, camera cable appears to be fully working (camera streams footage), and the gimble motors all attempt to do their self-test twitch so the motor FFC appears to be intact too.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Drooooooone! Bought for a song from a colleague due to the gimbal assembly just swinging in the breeze and them not wanting the hassle of dealing with it. Looks like it's just a mounting/anti-vibe plate, camera cable appears to be fully working (camera streams footage), and the gimble motors all attempt to do their self-test twitch so the motor FFC appears to be intact too.
Love the mavic pro!

Reactions: AleksandarK

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
A friend of mine gave me his old ultrabook. This is a Dell e4200, sporting a Core2 U9600 (2x 1.6GHz, Ultra Low Voltage), 3GB of DDR3L (1GB onboard + 2GB) and a 64GB micro-sata SSD. It has a 12" 1200x800 LCD and weights only 1Kg.

Installed Archlinux and KDE Plasma on it. There are still many things to configure, as I will be using it for programming purpose, but so far I am very impressed with the performances.

The first thing I will do is replacing the French AZERTY keyboard by a US QWERTY one, as it is just way better for both programming and writing French.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Beater watch. And, since I'm not a proper terrorist posting EATX setups here, I didn't get the F-91W. Black face would've been better at night but this one's not too bad, either.

Nice watch. This is my daily watch (since I can't stand having a wrist watch). This is a 100% mechanical fob watch from 1850.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
seconded ^
I wish I had the balls to carry a pocket watch but it's just too eccentric for my normal personality

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Which manufacturer, @GuilleAcoustic ?

This is a Tribaudeau, a small watch manufacturer from France. They sadly stopped doing "jeweleries" and are now making advertising watches.

That pocket watch is gorgeous.

seconded ^
I wish I had the balls to carry a pocket watch but it's just too eccentric for my normal personality

I was paying too much attention to what people were thinking about me in the past, creating a fake me and losing my personality in the process.

Now I don't give a **** and am an happy eccentric. I am pretty normal, clothes wise, but I use objects from the past.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
And to go deeper into the nerdness of my eccentric self, I got a new toy from work. They were throwing a pristine and functional HP 95LX (a palmtop from 1990). I sports an Intel 8088 SOC and runs MsDOS.

My idea: replace the motherboard by an Rpi zero W and interface it with the HP 95LX keyboard and screen. This would make a lovely Linux terminal and the serial port would be handy to interface with serial debug on headless machine.

(got this picture from reddit, this is not mine)

I will go deeper into this in my brainstorm thread XD.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
And to go deeper into the nerdness of my eccentric self, I got a new toy from work. They were throwing a pristine and functional HP 95LX (a palmtop from 1990). I sports an Intel 8088 SOC and runs MsDOS.

My idea: replace the motherboard by an Rpi zero W and interface it with the HP 95LX keyboard and screen. This would make a lovely Linux terminal and the serial port would be handy to interface with serial debug on headless machine.

(got this picture from reddit, this is not mine)

I will go deeper into this in my brainstorm thread XD.
NICE FIND!

The idea of making it usable by putting a Pi in it, is amaizing. Cant wait to see it in action.

Reactions: Soul_Est

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I'm considering this a new toy... I bought another Grand Cherokee! I'll be transferring all the parts from the old one over as time allows. The new one is a few years newer, has significantly less miles, and it has a Hemi!