Show your new toys Topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
8Bitdo SNES30 Wireless Gamepad - these things feel pretty darned close to the real McCoy. They're Bluetooth as well and natively supported in Retroarch, so configuration is very straightforward.
(this stuff is also available on Amazon, if you prefer)
I couldn't resist, so I got the SFC30 (the European version).

I once managed to get a huge blister on my thumb ater 30 minutes of play after going full throttle at Killer Instinct. Ah the nostalgia.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Slight detour | Bonus Build | RetroBox Mini++

While I'm doing some bench testing, here's a little recipe if you're bummed out about not being able to get an NES Classic - you'll get a whole lot more out of this little system, and it's a fun project to put together.

Here's one way of doing it quick and relatively pain free:
CanaKit 32GB RPi3 Starter Kit
8Bitdo SNES30 Wireless Gamepad - these things feel pretty darned close to the real McCoy. They're Bluetooth as well and natively supported in Retroarch, so configuration is very straightforward.
(this stuff is also available on Amazon, if you prefer)

Anyhow - that stuff, zero tools, and about 30 minutes of your time, and you're up and running. RetroPie is your all-in-one ready rolled solution for OS and software here - boots fast and has a friendly UI with built-in controller hotkeys and the whole nine.

I couldn't resist, so I got the SFC30 (the European version).

I once managed to get a huge blister on my thumb ater 30 minutes of play after going full throttle at Killer Instinct. Ah the nostalgia.

I really like 8Bitdo for their focus on quality hardware and for their contributions to the emulation community. They already work with the team behind libretro and RetroArch and entered a partnership with team behind the Gamegirl project and are helping them about the buttons and the case.

Reactions: Phuncz

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
<Tin-foil hat> The reports of a NAND shortage is an attempt by the fabs to hit their end of year production goals from people buying drives now in anticipation of a shortage </tin-foil hat>

Ugh, tinfoil is so last season. You're going to want one of these instead.

Anyways, I know for reasons I'm not at liberty to discuss that there is ██████████. But how quickly ██████ will happen or ████████ stop ████████ like ravenous baboons is anybody's guess. ██████████ of ████ have happened before (and resulted in grown men finding corners to shed tears in).

I just hope for completely selfish reasons that ████████████ so we don't have a repeat of the DRAM Price Crash of 2008.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Ugh, tinfoil is so last season. You're going to want one of these instead.
Ugh, I made the mistake of reading the FAQ and now feel stupider as a result. Not only do they gave a handwavey oooh-scary-scary excuse as to why there is no actual evidence of electrosensitivity or any sort of harm from non-ionising low-power RF, but they also sidestep the issue that their product doesn't even actually work to block RF.

Bah, I'll stick with the good ol' Rhodium foil hat! Can't be having it oxidise on me!

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Ugh, I made the mistake of reading the FAQ and now feel stupider as a result. Not only do they gave a handwavey oooh-scary-scary excuse as to why there is no actual evidence of electrosensitivity or any sort of harm from non-ionising low-power RF, but they also sidestep the issue that their product doesn't even actually work to block RF.

Bah, I'll stick with the good ol' Rhodium foil hat! Can't be having it oxidise on me!

B-but it protects against Illuminati Mind Control Rays™! Everyone has been rendered vulnerable from water fluoridation!

Reactions: EdZ

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Don't mock our precious Goo !

I've seen RAM prices tick up over the last few months, although it's been around 10-15% and not a 100% at the end of DDR2.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Phuncz I'm about to pull the trigger on one (or two) of those SFC30's. How is the range? Is their any noticeable latency at further distances?

Nice pictures btw!
Thanks ! I have yet to use it, since I don't have a game installed that benefits from a gamepad and a SNES emulator I need to research first. I have also not tried it yet on a tablet. I can't tell you the experience on range either.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Oh ok. I may just get it anyway. My wife and I would like to start hosting a bi-weekly retro game night among friends and it looks like the perfect companion.

Launchbox + Retroarch is really all you need. With ROMs in hand, it shouldn't take longer than ~30 minutes to setup and it supports most systems making it very easy to grow.

Launchbox is portable too so you can put it all on an external HDD to be used on any machine.

SimplyAustin has a YouTube channel with a great tutorial on how to set it up too.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah indeed. I'll keep it and use it once there's an opportunity to do so. It really added a nice touch to the packaging, which was already well thought out.