Show your new toys Topic

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Traded my last GTX 980 for a MSI 280X and 280 for PSU load testing. But I already had one 280X so I'll probably just sell the 280. Or keep it and have enough GPU power draw to load a 1KW SFX-L unit if anyone is ever crazy enough to make such a thing :p

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Finally found one!
(Apologies for the awful cameraphone pictures)
And its party-piece is intact and functional!
This is the case (no functioning computers were harmed!) of a Sharp X68000, a late 80's Japanese contemporary of the Commodore Amiga.
The goal is to have a portable VR rig. The 'Joy Stick 1' front port will be replaced with HDMI, and Keyboard & Mouse somehow replaced with at least one USB 3 port, ideally somehow with minimal damage to the front moulding (which is part of the base as a single shot moulded part). A dongle to adapt to a circular connector might be acceptable here if one can support USB 3.0 bandwidth. I have the original front volume knob and power button and intend to retain them.

It's slightly larger than I was expecting, so I have quite a bit of flexibility as to component and cooling layout.
The simplest would be to put the motherboard, CPU & drive(s) in one side, and GPU & PSU in the other, with slots cut in the unventilated top section to one side. The lower section is deep and wide enough that a 140mm fan could be used as a 'bottom to top flow' common intake.
Or put all components on one side, and use the existing ventilated side just for the radiator in a full watercooling loop.
A FlexATX PSU would be perfect, but I might juuuust be able to squeeze an SFX PSU in there by cutting a hole into the central 'channel' and having the PSU intake stick out a mm or two to allow the side panels to close.

First step is probably to measure and model it, in order to play with component placements.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's definitely vulnerable to an indecision crisis: existing airflow is pretty minimal, so at least some destructive modding is going to be required. Measure 20 times, cut never because you're worried one of your measurements might be wrong and you don't have a spare.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
They're not technically my toys since they're review units but got this in yesterday:

I now possess a little over 5KW worth of SFF powah!

Can't wait to find out what you think of these new revision power supplies, the ST30SF was the perfect HTPC power supply with its low price and semi fanless features. But now they have removed the semi-fanless feature with these it will be interesting to see how they compare.

I would be interested to find out how they get on in low power usage scenarios such as watching 1080p/4K video with onboard graphics in terms of PSU sound output. I guess allot of this will depend on how well the test case is ventilated around the PSU, I found the semi-fanless feature of the ST30SF was the perfect companion for the Silverstone ML05/06 cases, you could build a virtually silent i7 HTPC with some good 80mm fans and the NH-L9i.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm hoping to get to them this weekend (good thing I don't have much planned for Christmas) unless the SX800-LTI shows up first because it has top priority for review.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'm hoping to get to them this weekend (good thing I don't have much planned for Christmas) unless the SX800-LTI shows up first because it has top priority for review.
Last I remember hearing from Tony is that the SX800-LTI is due in the US sometime in December, and everywhere else Jan/Feb 2017.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, that's last I heard too. Once the SilverStone USA office gets delivery I should be getting one.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I was hoping it wouldn't come to this but I had a project deadline(video editing) fall on my lap before the end of the year and couldn't be bothered to do it all on my HTPC while I wait for the SX800-LTI to drop. As a result, I order an emergency replacement PSU to get my main rig back up and running again asap. To hold me over I just picked up a 150mm EVGA 850 G3. I am hopeful that I can still return it by the time the SX800-LTI drops so that I can support the SFX market. If not, I will consider getting a lower capacity Silverstone when it comes time to build my new, more efficient, rig in February/March.

My wife and I finally ordered the new Sony a6500 and FE 50mm 2.8 lens for our combined anniversary gift. I look forward to fumbling with a new gadget that I know very little about :thumb:

I was going to pick up 2x 8bitdo SFC30's for my Mancade(name of my emulation station), but after doing a bunch of research I opted to get a 2nd generation Dual-Shock 4 instead since it can natively control the mouse cursor as well. We'll see how it treats me in the long run but already I like the feel of it over my 360 controller.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

The Samson Meteor is not new, but the suspension, boom arm and pop filter is. Yes, the pop filter is indeed facing the wrong way, I stuffed it with some fabric in the hope of canceling out some of my keyboard and mouse noise. I also fixed the suspension seperated from one hook.

I had to make a custom solution for the mic to not fall out of the suspension because of the button and USB connector. It's basically a long screw, a huge aluminium washer, a rubber grommet, a nut and a cap.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Finally found one!
(Apologies for the awful cameraphone pictures)
And its party-piece is intact and functional!
This is the case (no functioning computers were harmed!) of a Sharp X68000, a late 80's Japanese contemporary of the Commodore Amiga.
The goal is to have a portable VR rig. The 'Joy Stick 1' front port will be replaced with HDMI, and Keyboard & Mouse somehow replaced with at least one USB 3 port, ideally somehow with minimal damage to the front moulding (which is part of the base as a single shot moulded part). A dongle to adapt to a circular connector might be acceptable here if one can support USB 3.0 bandwidth. I have the original front volume knob and power button and intend to retain them.

It's slightly larger than I was expecting, so I have quite a bit of flexibility as to component and cooling layout.
The simplest would be to put the motherboard, CPU & drive(s) in one side, and GPU & PSU in the other, with slots cut in the unventilated top section to one side. The lower section is deep and wide enough that a 140mm fan could be used as a 'bottom to top flow' common intake.
Or put all components on one side, and use the existing ventilated side just for the radiator in a full watercooling loop.
A FlexATX PSU would be perfect, but I might juuuust be able to squeeze an SFX PSU in there by cutting a hole into the central 'channel' and having the PSU intake stick out a mm or two to allow the side panels to close.

First step is probably to measure and model it, in order to play with component placements.
I really hate you!

I hate you !
Add my hate too!

But hopefully it's "hate" in a good way.

Looking forward to the pr0n, I mean build log, @EdZ . Take your time - you definitely don't want to wreck that hard-to-find case.
It's a good hate and damn if GuilleAcoustic and I are ever jelly.

The Samson Meteor is not new, but the suspension, boom arm and pop filter is. Yes, the pop filter is indeed facing the wrong way, I stuffed it with some fabric in the hope of canceling out some of my keyboard and mouse noise. I also fixed the suspension seperated from one hook.

I had to make a custom solution for the mic to not fall out of the suspension because of the button and USB connector. It's basically a long screw, a huge aluminium washer, a rubber grommet, a nut and a cap.
Excellent job on improving your setup there.

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Can't wait to find out what you think of these new revision power supplies, the ST30SF was the perfect HTPC power supply with its low price and semi fanless features. But now they have removed the semi-fanless feature with these it will be interesting to see how they compare.

The SX800-LTI showed up so the review for that may get bumped back.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Seriously, Christmas Day passes and no update on "show us your toys"? This site is lame.

I didnt get anything for Christmas because my girlfriend bought a house, so I ended up giving her all of my moneys to help on the down payment.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Seriously, Christmas Day passes and no update on "show us your toys"? This site is lame.

I didnt get anything for Christmas because my girlfriend bought a house, so I ended up giving her all of my moneys to help on the down payment.

I spent all my money on my children - got them;

A bike each - so they can keep fit and learn an important life skill
A point and shoot camera each - so I can see the world from their viewpoint, what they are interested in (cameras were used and I got them for $0 :) )
A watch each, so they can learn timeliness and add to the responsibilities they can be entrusted with

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Nice one on the house ! Most of my "gifts" I buy for myself and I've been posting in this thread more than a few times. Personally I'm not big on the gift-giving (and the cruel equal-or-better game) so we limit the price to around €30 per person.

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Seriously, Christmas Day passes and no update on "show us your toys"?

Ok, here we go:

Got the Nyth for Christmas, yaaaay! Very comfortable mouse to me, though it feels like my palm is getting sweaty quite quickly. While that is all well and good, I got this mouse because a 3D print library was advertised and I wanted to get this sideplate modified to fit an additional button, but so far I am extremely disappointed.

The 3D "Library" is a shapeways collection and a multi-body STEP file of the buttons that come with the mouse. Multiple issues with that:

1. The buttons that come with the mouse were not designed for 3D-printing, but injection moulding. They are separate pieces with wall thicknesses as low as 0.3mm.

2. The models on shapeways can't be modified. I have been asking Roccat for the STEP files of those, this was their answer (translated from German):

the buttons offered on Shapeways can exclusively be got on Shapeways. The 3D data of them is not available to us, sorry. That was part of our deal with Shapeways.

This is pure bullshit. In the terms for shops on Shapeways, it nowhere says that you are not allowed to redistribute the 3D models you sell on Shapeways in any other way. I am very confident that customer service is not allowed to release the STEP files to the public to avoid people uploading them to Shapeways again to calculate (and get around) the markup that Roccat places on these parts.

At least I've got a promise that they'll ask their design department whether I can get any other data that would help me model the piece from the ground up, but god damn that is a waste of my time.

3. The whole button section is modelled as a complicated compound curve. This makes it very hard to measure any dimensions from the buttons that could be used for designing your own ones. There is nothing like a "blank slate" that one could use to draw their buttons onto. This is particularly upsetting as the standard profile for the rear buttons is digging into my hand uncomfortably and I would've liked to modify them to be slimmer.

Somewhat of an additional issue is that there is no data available for the interchangeable right piece of the mouse which is attached with four magnets, but could easily be interchanged to make the mouse longer or wider. In particular, I would like to make that part orange as well and extend it to cover the Roccat logo.

So overall, a great mouse, but it seems like in the years that it has been on the market so far, nobody wanted to take modding it as far as I am now.

Reactions: Soul_Est