SG05 Mod

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I wanted to get some feedback on the following sketchup model. It's a highly modified SG05. It was slightly enlarged to allow a 60mm thick 240 rad in push/pull and a side window to show off the water cooling loop. The footprint is slightly less than stock because its turned on its side, but the overall volume is around 60% more.

I didn't make the original SG05 model that I've based this off of, and the author of that model specified that he only made it based on pictures and measurements found online and not with a product he was measuring in hand. So some of the measurements of the stock case may be slightly off, but it shouldn't affect the workings of the mod.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7_7elzC8WrrVERGQkdwRV9TbjA

Here are pictures if you don't want to download sketchup:

Last edited:

Germanese

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2017
Oh i got one of those that i am not using anymore.
Be aware the sheet metal frame is very thin. The Drive Caddy i had modify to make space. Rest is nice.
My GPU got too big hahahah

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Sean, as I (and probably many others), don't have Sketchup; could you post a screenshot of your design concept?

Reactions: Phuncz

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017

You doing that in steel?

Yes in steel. I want it to be magnetic for the fan filter and for RGB light strips. Also i'm worried about the structural integrity of the case after I've cut so much out of it, so i want it to be as strong as possible.

Reactions: Phuncz

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017

Yes in steel. I want it to be magnetic for the fan filter and for RGB light strips. Also i'm worried about the structural integrity of the case after I've cut so much out of it, so i want it to be as strong as possible.

That'll really add up the weight to the case. The base of it will have to be steel, as those are really slim feet (actually, I'd suggest perhaps revising the feet a tad as I don't think they'll be strong enough for all that weight). A steel frame could give fairly good structural integrity, but you might want to consider making some parts from aluminium, far better strength-to-weight ratio even if it is a bit more pricey...

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
The weight doesn't really bother me. I'm more worried about it being too flimsy, or not holding up to the weight.

Also, while you can't really see it from the picture, the base panel with the feet part is a completely separate panel from the rest of the bottom, which will be of a thicker gauge that will be able to handle the weight.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
The weight doesn't really bother me. I'm more worried about it being too flimsy, or not holding up to the weight.

Also, while you can't really see it from the picture, the base panel with the feet part is a completely separate panel from the rest of the bottom, which will be of a thicker gauge that will be able to handle the weight.
Well, the feet you may want to boost the gauge up for too. I measured the SketchUp file and they're only 1mm. Either that, or make them a hollow square tube to reinforce them more (or put a spine down the middle of the base)

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Well, the feet you may want to boost the gauge up for too. I measured the SketchUp file and they're only 1mm. Either that, or make them a hollow square tube to reinforce them more (or put a spine down the middle of the base)

Yea i'll probably just up the gauge of that bottom sheet that includes the bends for the feet.

Reactions: LjSpike