40mm cooling mod for HDplex 250w GAN

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017

Disclaimer: Involves modding the PSU so I would suggest not doing this unless you know exactly what you are doing and the risks involved.

I have noticed that when used in a case without adequate fans, the HDplex GAN can approach 50C skin temperature under normal use, and I measured it up to 65C under extreme conditions with 200w load. So this mod is a direct replacement for the metal top cover of the 250w GAN, with a mesh 3D one + 40mm fan.

It adds 12mm thickness with NF-A4x10 (which is actually 11mm tall) or 11mm thickness with actual 40 x 10mm fan.

Features:

- Total of four different fan orientations to maximize compatibility (so it will clear a motherboard edge). The two different 3D models have reversible positioning.

- Press-fit 40mm fan slot design, with push or pull fan orientation, and support for rotating the fan for easier cable management.

- Cable relief area for the fan cable.

Files: Printables
License: This work is licensed under a Standard Digital File Licence
Digital files have a strict non-commercial, personal use only license.

Print Instructions:

Material: Temp tolerance to 70C
Layer Height: Doesn't matter
Nozzle: Doesn't matter
Support: No

Infill Type: Grid
Infill: 60%
Top Solid Layers: 0 <---IMPORTANT
Bottom Solid Layers: 0 <---IMPORTANT

Perimeters: 2
Brim: 5mm

(It should look like this)

Installation:

1) Unplug HDplex & wait 30 mins
2) Unscrew 6 screws for top plate and remove each screw one at a time and put it in a safe place, do not just leave the screws loose.
3) Don't touch anything inside.
4) Replace the top cover with the 3D one.
5) Re install the 6 screws very carefully and straight, not to strip the threads
6) Press in 40mm fan

Test results seem to show that positioning the fan over the right side (DC output side) is more effective:

1) Applying 115w continuous load while the PSU was sitting in open air + very minor ambient ventilation.
The operating temperature was allowed to stabilize at 44C and was reduced to 36C when using "push" fan orientation (and in the "right" orientation).

2) Applying 115w continuous load while the PSU was inside of a 3 liter case with the side panel off and moderate indirect airflow. The operating temperature was allowed to stabilize at 45C after 30 minutes and then the PSU fan was initiated as a push fan (in the less effective "left" orientation) and reduced temperatures by 5C. (Note: ambient temp of intake air = much higher in this test)

Last edited:

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
there isn't anything under the files or a hyperlink
never mind

CLDA_comp

Cable Smoosher
Mar 9, 2023
Question on this mod: From your observations, from what part of the PSU is the air escaping from when the fan is in push configuration?

In addition, what material did you use for your own print?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Looks like I forgot to add images of the finished mod, but
Question on this mod: From your observations, from what part of the PSU is the air escaping from when the fan is in push configuration?

In addition, what material did you use for your own print?

Although the model is solid, its printed as an open infill mesh. Thus the air escapes back through the ventilated part itself.

Pla Pro / Pla +, Petg, or abs will all be sufficient. Esun pla+ is my go to for functional parts like this.

Reactions: BaK

CLDA_comp

Cable Smoosher
Mar 9, 2023
OK, I see now that you mentioned top and bottom solid layers were “0”.

Thanks for the info and the model, I’m interested to try this out.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
OK, I see now that you mentioned top and bottom solid layers were “0”.

Thanks for the info and the model, I’m interested to try this out.

Here's a slicer picture which is more or less how it looks