Silverstone SG05 - 10.8L --> 7.5L Case Mod - COMPLETED

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
I've been a lurker for a couple of years and have always been intrigued with SFF builds. I just got back into building PC's about 2 years ago when I decided to transition from Apple HW (After 20 years) to PC hardware.

I was so used to having a Mac Mini with its SFF. When I went back to PC's, started off with the CoolerMaster Elite 110 (15.1 L) and then moved to a Silverstone SG13 (11.5L ). I was always looking for a way to get down to an even smaller case but did not want to purchase a case as I like to "tinker".

My goal was to convert and existing case to a target 7.5 L and to keep the case mod cost under $50. I managed to do this by buying a used Silverstone SG05 (10.8 L) and modding it down to 7.5 L. I'm not a high-end gamer but do like a PC with sufficient horsepower and want it quiet. I also wanted to have off the shelf components with a built-in power supply.

I learned a lot from this build and it has given me a greater appreciation of those people who design and build SFF computer cases. The other learning that has bitten me before...measure twice and cut once...should be measure three times and cut once.

HARDWARE - WHAT I WANT TO CRAM INTO MODDED CASE
  • Computer Case Modded: Silverstone SG05BB-Lite
  • Motherboard: Asus Z370i ROG Strix Gaming MB - Mini ITX
  • CPU: I5-8400
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S (Low Profile 70mm Height with 120 PWM Fan)
  • Chassis Fan: Originally Planned for Noctua NF-F12 120mm PWM but had to settle on a Noctua NFx 14 PWM 92mm
  • SSD Drive: WD M.2 NVMe PCIe 512GB
  • GPU: MSI Aero ITX Radeon RX-560
  • Power Supply: Corsair SF-450 Modular
  • Custom Cables: www.moddiy.com (Modular cables from Corsair were too long)
FINISHED
  • Starting Case Size: Width - 222 mm, Height - 176 mm, Depth - 276 mm, Volume - 10.8 Litres
  • Final Case Size: Width - 222 mm, Height - 176 mm, Depth - 191 mm, Volume - 7.5 Litre
  • Temperatures: GPU Normal Use - 25C, CPU Normal Use - 32C
  • Cost: friend sold me his SG05BB case for $10, $15 for the Noctua 92mm Fan.
This was a very fun build. My original target was 8 Litres. Because I cut too much, was able to salvage the build with a small chassis fan. I don't think I could have gotten it any smaller.

WHAT WOULD I DO NEXT TIME

• I think if I kept it to a depth of 200mm (about 7.8 L) would have made working with the components easier. I could remove the GPU and mother board without taking off the front end and also a normal 120mm fan could have been installed. Also, slightly larger GPU's would then fit.

Love to hear your feedback.

Last edited:

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
I'm looking forward to this!

In regard to hosting images, imgur works great and you can embed an album you create there.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Brilliant work sir ! I wish manufacturers would focus more on ITX stuff. It is becoming more and more popular, especially with the great PSU's and GPU's we have these days.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Nice mod, I had a similar idea when I picked up a used SG05 a few weeks back. What storage do you have, only m.2?

Reactions: XeaLouS

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Excellent. If silverstone had an SG13-Lite that was 200mm long then mainstream 8L cases could be come a thing!

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Nice mod, I had a similar idea when I picked up a used SG05 a few weeks back. What storage do you have, only m.2?

Just the M.2. This MB has another slot for another M.2 SSD. 500 GB is good for my needs as I use online storage for my documents.

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Excellent. If silverstone had an SG13-Lite that was 200mm long then mainstream 8L cases could be come a thing!

I have my SG13 doing nothing, might chop that up as well if I decide to go with a longer GPU.

raymondo

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2015
Looks clean, well, except for the cut edge but I had the same problem. I did the same once but didn't build anything in it in the end (see Overclock for reference).

Reactions: Weredawg