Cooling SFX i9-7920x and Titan Xp in Shift X- need your opinion

jonathan13

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Looking to go small for my editing rig. The main components are a 7920x and a Titan Xp. Originally, I was going to go with dual 240 radiators in an NZXT Manta, but the more I look at the Shift X, the more I want it.

Will a 120 38mm thick and 240 45mm thick radiators be enough to keep my temps within reason? I understand that going small means cooling will never be as good as it could be, but I would be happy with sub 80c on the CPU and sub 60c on the GPU, if that is possible.

Also, my 7920x is delided with Thermal Grizzly liquid metal, and my current CPU OC is 4.6GHz at 1.19c. Temps are currently in the low 60s with a 360 AIO in a mid-tower. That being said, I would be satisfied with 4.5GHz if possible.

Thanks ahead of time for any input and opinions!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My back-of-the-envelope analysis in steps:-

1. Assume the 120 38mm rad and 240 45mm rad of the new loop are going to cool the GPU and CPU independently. That is, the 120 38mm rad is responsible for the GPU while the 240 45mm is responsible for the CPU.

2. Your current 360 AIO cools the CPU at low 60s. So, I suggest, covering up 1/3 rad area of your current 360 with a piece of paper or whatever in order to simulate a 240 rad in action. Or, you stop one of the 3 fans. CPU temp will rise, of course. If the resulting CPU temp is sub 80C (your mentioned preference), then the first hurdle is passed. In addition, if the current 360 rad is a thin rad, then this is even better because if a simulated thin 240 rad can cool the CPU to sub 80C, then the actual 240 45mm thick rad will certainly do better, both in terms of cooling performance and acoustics.

3. Now, consider the cooling of the TitanXP by a single 120 38mm rad. GamersNexus used a 120 27.5mm kit to cool a hybrid Titan XP and the GPU load temp is close to 40C.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2897-nvidia-titan-xp-hybrid-mod-results-2017/page-2

Note this is just for the GPU core only. Even if you will use a full cover plate, I suppose the temp will be above 40C but still be sub 60C.

4. Lastly, I think cooling performance should reach what you expect. However, the acoustic performance is uncertain. One is, the rads (38mm and 45mm) are relatively thick and so fans will need to spin faster to push air through, thus noise level might (slightly) increase. Two is, Shift X's air intake areas are not really very air accessible. So, fans might spin a little bit faster as well.
But, if acoustics is not crucial for you, then this concern is nothing.
Refer to step 2:- you might also increase the fan speed for the simulated 240 rad to see the relationship between speed/noise vs temp to reach an acceptable balance.

And, I agree that Shift X looks way better than NZXT Manta.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...chone-for-the-pros-small-meets-flexible.7475/

jonathan13

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
I'm on mobile, and don't know how to multiquote, so I'm just going to respond to each individually.

Solo: I like the way you think. :)

Tinyitx: This is the exact type of guidance I was looking for. To build on one of your latter points, acoustics are of zero concern to me. I wouldn't mind slapping some 2400rpm fans in there and running them full tilt.

Boil: Is this enclosure able to be readily purchased by chance? Its gorgeous!

Dumplinknet: If I were to get that, I may as well just keep what I have. Not the route I want to go.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Boil: Is this enclosure able to be readily purchased by chance? Its gorgeous!

Read thru the link I attached above, chassis should be available around the end of the year for sales...

The pictured unit has a 7900X & Titan Xp, both under water...