Enclosure Small mATX case, sli liquid cooled

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Also please, forget 10db target...because it's meaningless as a standard quiet (no noise) is around 30-33db.

Your true target for silent pc is aiming at not exceeding your ambient noise...:)

Achieving a 30db on high end gaming pc is hell of a challenge..:)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I might honestly have to rethink my entire build around the Calyos NSG S0.
IIRC these solutions have very strict thermal limits (both ambient and heat generated) above which they straight up stop functioning as a cooling system. If you live in a hot climate or expect to be spending time in a hot climate with a computer cooled using a solution like this it may or may not be worth looking into in more detail before handing over cash money.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Hmmm. Just to be clearer. When I say 10dBa I meant added to whatever the ambiant noise is. I can't quiet the environment so I'm just focuses on the PC. Thats where I kept coming up with 10-15dBa. So if the room/environment is 30dBa, I would be shooting for 40dBA, if that makes sense.

If I do go with this passive rig, I expect it to be too large to take on deployments in which case, the DAN is necessary.

I know full well Volta is around the corner and it truly pains me to build a unit now when something better is so close, but I am on a timeline and I want to stick to it.

As for resolution, I was planning on going with the UP3218K (8K monitor) and not because "its the most expensive", honestly, I want 4K or 5K BUT all of the monitors were made with the same panels that have a very severe flickering issue that I will not tollerate. The issue is a manufacuring defect that began in 2016 and has STILL not been corrected! This issue is most known in the Acer models but happens in all high-rez panels because they use the same screen. I know I can't drive anything @ 8K so I would probably use the UP3218K and drop the res down. Also, it has amazing build quality and is future proofed.

Initially I do intend to use the SeaSonic Fanless 520W. From my calculations, @ 100% load I will be using 508W. That is a razer thin margin and unreliable, I know. SeaSonic is working on a higher output PSU so fingers crossed it comes out soon, if not, I toss in the 520W and see how she handles. Do note though, their standard build used the same PSU for the 1080TI and thr 1080TI's power consumption curve seems to be more erretic because it's thermal curve is also steeper (over time) .

The case is compatable with 5×120mm fans so maybe I'll get those fans if I can't keep it cool ;) but more fans = more power draw too...

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah, now your request is clear : 40db on 4k load..:)

These specifications are far easier to match..:) you want a quiet 4k setup, and easily transportable (even i doubt of transporting a 32" screen lol)

Just go on watercooling, dual 240mm radiator loops. One for cpu, one for gpu.
You can go on aio, like fractal celsius or any other asetek kit...and apply nzxt kraken g12 on you gpu.

In terms of case, cerberus-x will be the best one, but it's not yet available.

Reactions: Nanook

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I didn't want to say 40dBa build because it is completely dependant on the ambiant sound level. This is why I kept saying 10dBa. I think its silly to include the ambiant sound because that will be different for everyone.

Do you happen to know if the DAN has enough room for a tiny cpu+gpu loop? Maybe an all in one? Theres no way in hell I'd be taking that expensive monitor with me hahaha. No, ive since decided to split my build in two.
Home pc: NGS S0, 8K monitor, same insides
Travel pc: Dan case, AAXA M6, same insides
(Note: that projector is only 1080P capable)

This way I can keep everything in as small of a pelican case as possible. I noticed on the DAN there the gpu is really in the center of the back.

- Any way to raise it to the top and stick a small loop in?

- would a loop that small even be worth it seeing as I would have to use a SFF psu that are usually loud?

same as before, the ENTIRE point of the loop would be as quiet as possible, but why do with liquid what fans can do better/quieter. In otherwords, if such a small radiator couldnt cool without serious noise but standard fans do better, Ill just stick with fans.

Thanks for the tip MarcParis. If I can match ambiant, Ill stick with the Dan. I love that little thing.

As before, price is not a consideration. Quietness is.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, the only wc i saw in dan was the asetek 92mm...that seems completely useless from my point of view.

If on dan case, you want to play 1080p, it's pretty easy : put 65w cpu (coffee lake 6c/12t underclock/undervolt), noctua nh-l9i, the biggest 2 slots gtx 1080 (forget gtx 1080ti for dan case) with largest fan possible, and sfx-l psu (maybe latest be quiet psu sfx-l)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
When I do my DAN build, Ill be building it in 2018 so I'll have access to Volta. The 1080P is restricted due to the projector. 1080P native is the highest rez a pico can go atm.

Does that liquid cooler do a poor job or something?

I've spent the last 3hrs looking for DDR4 4000Mhz or 4133Mhz XMP compatable memory for the ASUS SRIX X299-E board. Why cant memory companies make finding their QVL easier? I don't think I'm asking for a lot here...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Asetek 92mm kit is based on former generation of Asetek (2010)...noisy and very effective.

If gaming or multimedia is main purpose on your DAN rig, R7 1700 and coffee lake (65W) are just completely enough.

ps : do not be too over optimistic on volta...it should be more a Pascal refresh...:)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I'm assuming you meant ineffective. What a shame. I wish someone would design a tiny 7L case that is designed around very specific liquid cooling parts. I think where cases end up getting delayed is when they start building in compromises for universalism. I think the perfect pc case would be built in sections that all snap together like Lego's.

If gaming or multimedia is main purpose on your DAN rig, R7 1700 and coffee lake (65W) are just completely enough.
I don't ever plan on owning an AMD product, they have always been driver nightmares.
Also, I don't just game. I dabble in a bit of programming and 3D environment edditing in 3Ds max.
ps : do not be too over optimistic on volta...it should be more a Pascal refresh...:)
Well, if I didn't get over excited, buy into the hype, then get dissappointed with the performance; I wouldn't be a hardware enthusiast ;) haha.

Has anyone been able to track down QVL's for 4000Mhz memory (for those of you that are using it?)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The DAN A4 was designed for air-cooled setups. Not saying that you couldn't put a system in this case under water, but it's going to spoil the clean aesthetic IMO when you mount the long rad to the top on the outside.

I don't see Volta changing the power/performance curve the same way Pascal did. Maxwell to Pascal was 28nm to 14/16nm, Volta is said to be 12nm, so the node shrink factor is not helping much. You will still likely need to dissipate a similar order of magnitude of heat, which will require a similar amount of radiator.

Maybe the Loque Ghost would be a better fit - I understand that the case is designed to be expanded modularly which could give you the volume needed to accommodate the watercooling you're after?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I believe the 30dB - 40dB test results of the D5 pumps from xtreme rigs website are to your spec, right?

The DAN v2 will accommodate the Asetek 92mm AIO. I have that AIO, and am not impressed with it at all.

I recommend the NCase M1 if you're thinking to do 2x AIO, one for CPU, and one for the Titan. An AIO/ hybrid kit for Titan Xp will do wonders for noise reduction and reducing thermal throttling. The CPU might run a little warmer, but far from throttling.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I fear I am explaining my decibal desires poorly. If I use a sound meter and test a room and get a 30 decibal reading, then bring in the pc, out it under load and retest, I am hoping for 30 decibals. That would be a delta of 0, as the PC would match the ambiant noise. That would be the goal of the DAN setup, wether I go liquid, passive, or fans doesnt matter as long as I can still do it with a beefy i7 and Titan XP. (Or if the volta is more powerful, obviously).

The reason I say 10 decibels is, mostly, because of my ignorance of how loud it will be at night, in the room. I am just now remembering that the air condition in those tents is actually noisy so a louder build is possible but still, "louder" is a comparitive word and falls back to my ignorance of the true sound levels.

I love a clean build jtd871, but I beileve in function over form ;). I'd rather have ugly and silent over pretty and loud. (With the except of my wife, she is the latter, hahaha). I'm also not a big glass side panel kinda guy. Its nice but not on my must have list. In the military, when people can see what you have is nice, you've got a better chance of it getting ripped of. Because of this, I will be installing a tarcking device and having my case painted by a family artist to look rusted and beat up. Hehe, sleeper rig.

With my enthusiast comment, I was being sarcastic. I full well expect the Volta to dissapoint, but I'm always hopeful ;). Of course, I'm also always hopeful Nvidia & Engine Devs pull their thumbs out of their butts and highly optimize multi-Gpu support; but thats a rant I could go on for hours about.

The M1 and the cerberus are about the same volume, it will be interesting to see which people gravitate towards.

Too bad that cooler does so bad, I think the market needs more SFF liquid coolers that have closed loop cpu + gpu support.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The full passive setup, especially with high end product, will always produce some electrical noise/coil whine. But passive setup will be always limited by volume and weight.

To be honest, full watercooling is the way i would take at your place....in fact i'm taking it also with my cerberus-x..:)

I'll share, for sure, my experience..:)

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
You could have a GIANT heatsink for a passive setup, but as @MarcParis said there will be electrical noise. And belive me, i prefer fan noise over electrical noise. If you want you could make a case with a big heatsink and put some 800 RPM fans blowing air on the fins. You will get a quiet rig.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
For the home pc, I am definitely go with the NGS-S0. I'm in love with the case. As for traveling, it seems the 3 competitors are the
N case M1
Cerberus
Dan

Spent another 2hrs looking for 4000mhz compatable XMP ram with for the ASUS ROG STRIX x299-E. Why cant companies post the QVL?

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry to ask : why are you aiming 4000mhz ram on x299 platform where gains are clearly minimal vs 3200/3600mhz, especially on intel platform...:)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
For the same reason why Im spending almost twice more for a TITAN XP vs a 1080Ti; gains are gains. But seriously, I'm building a future proofing rig and I want room to grow.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
For the home pc, I am definitely go with the NGS-S0. I'm in love with the case. As for traveling, it seems the 3 competitors are the
N case M1
Cerberus
Dan

Spent another 2hrs looking for 4000mhz compatable XMP ram with for the ASUS ROG STRIX x299-E. Why cant companies post the QVL?

Those are all SFF cases, but pretty different use case.

From the x299-E website:
  • DDR4 3866MHz (O.C.)
    4 x DIMM, dual-channel
    Support XMP

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For the same reason why Im spending almost twice more for a TITAN XP vs a 1080Ti; gains are gains. But seriously, I'm building a future proofing rig and I want room to grow.
Ahah, well i can understand titan Xp, as it delivers +10% vs gtx 1080ti...but not ram as 4000mhz is just performing less than 1% compared to 3600/3866mhz...and worse, could not be recognized by platform..:)

And i respect that you just want the best everywhere..:)

Ps : speaking of easily transportable case, Cerberus-x should be the one for you, if you accept 21l of volume