Enclosure Small mATX case, sli liquid cooled

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I'm looking for a case that will support an ATX powersupply (BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200W) and sli liquid cooled Titan XP's & liquid cooled 7820x. I will not be doing any overclocking, Im going after as close to 10 dBa as possible.
I've looked at fractals, the smallest was 33L, which seems a bit big. I liked the InWin 301 but the front is closed off and its just shy of too small at 25L. I would like to fit 2 240 radiators to keep it all cool. Im already watching the kimera cerberus but thats not available now, I need something soon.

Maybe I'm just being picky and the larger fractal would be better for larger radiator and more heat dissipation for a quieter build.

Please give me your thoughts :)

Also, if anyone has links to the math on how to figure out the required fan speed and static pressure to dissipate Xamount of heat from a radiator with Yamount of heat dissipation I would just Love that!

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
In your case, it's cerberus-x, not cerberus that you need...but in near future when it will be available.

You can do 2x240mm while using compact/combo :
  • Psu sfx sx800-lti placed on rear panel
  • Cpu waterblock/pump like apogee drive ii that fits a full ddc pump and apogee waterblock (you will need to have tight exit tubing)
  • On bottom : swiftech combo radiator 240mm(MCR220-QP-RES-R2) and reservoir with dual fan in pull
  • On front : any 240mm/30mm radiator with dual fan in pull
While waiting for cerberus-x, you can train & pick up identical parts and put them in fractal design define c..:)

Ps : same message as on cerberus topic..:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Great find MarcParis, bummer is, that PSU @ The wattage I would be under, has a
30.1 dBa - 36.3 dBa noise output :(.
Thats why I was looking at BeQuiet's 1200W ATX which is 11 dBa under 50% load (which is about where I would be).

I was also looking at using the Noctua NF-A14 ULN's. They are very low CFM so I still need to look into it further to see if they are a viable option.

Source: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...um-Power-Supply-Review/Efficiency-Differentia

I still don't know which pump I'm going to use. All noise searches for pumps seem to point to the D5 Vario but those articles are 2yrs old. Even so, does anyone have a source on posted pump dBa levels for the Dario or better?

Thanks again folks :)

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Do you really trust decibel number provided by oem?..:)

If you are aiming to the most silent setup, you cannot make compromise with size.

With your expected hardware you need to aim at dual 360mm dual row / thick radiators (like hardware labs gtx), with gentle typhoon pwm 1850rpm (max speed) and d5 pump.

For that, you need a BIG case...and i'm'no expert in such big cases..:)

It's completely up to you..:)

Ps : for sfx-l, sx800-lti is one the most silent of its size..:)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Trust the guys selling the part... Nope. Lol. I'm only looking at part reviews with a grain of salt & all that; like this one.
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/113723-be-quiet-vs-noctua?comment_sort=newest

I dont mind my parts being a little warmer, as long as their not throttling.

I calculate a need to dissapate roughly 678Watts (round up to 700W). I need to add the passive cooling capabilities of two radiators then somehow quantify the cooling capability of the fans, added together, to figure out if I need larger radiators/different fans.

I guess it comes down to primary and secondary goals: Noise > Size
(w/in 5dBA tolerance). In otherwords, I dont want to jump upto a bigger case if it means getting fans that are 5 dBA louder.

UPDATE: Hey folks, found almost, if not EXACTLY, what im going for right on the fractal website with a build called "Two Face", just with different parts.

If that isn't sexy... I have no idea what is.

Update II: Even better folks, I found a video with what im doing, again, different hardware, but here ya go.

The difference with the youtube build is, he does not have a second radiator at the top, I will. What I am having trouble solving is where the resivoir will go.
- what if I stuck a rez between the front and the PSU?... ideas?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah at least i convinced about fractal design define c (ok adding mini) tg edition..:)

For reservoir/pump, sure, no issue to consider a xspc d5/horizontal reservoir just behind psu, but you need to check total length.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Define C is larger when I want something as small as I can get while still staying quiet ;)
Im torn between TG or solid side panel.

Good article on using low noise low pressire noctua fans as radiators fans:
http://thermalbench.com/2015/04/17/noctua-nf-s12a-flx-120mm-fan/4/

Edit: I can get everything pretty darn quiet but what seems to be the toughest is going to be the pump. Even the famous D5 PWM seems to be in the 30 dBA range. Anyone found a way to dramatically reduce this?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
There was in the past external big passive cooling tower : resenerator or something close

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I'm gunna need everything in the tower. If I was going to go exterior, I would probably phase change ;). Im going small so I can fit everything in a pelican case for military deployments. Which also explains why I want a very quiet build.

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I remember when that came out. I had built my first custom gaming PC on 775 Q6600. I had a Nvidia 7600GS. Back in those days, when I didnt know a gigabyte from dino dung.

Exterior towers are cool but compact... nope.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Define C is larger when I want something as small as I can get while still staying quiet ;)
Im torn between TG or solid side panel.

Good article on using low noise low pressire noctua fans as radiators fans:
http://thermalbench.com/2015/04/17/noctua-nf-s12a-flx-120mm-fan/4/

Edit: I can get everything pretty darn quiet but what seems to be the toughest is going to be the pump. Even the famous D5 PWM seems to be in the 30 dBA range. Anyone found a way to dramatically reduce this?

During heavy CPU workload or benchmarking, my fans are almost always louder than my D5 pump. Based on PWM settings, fans are around 1000-1600 rpm, D5 pump at max rpm 4000.

It's much more quiet during gaming though.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
it doesn't exist pwm D5 pump?
Because DDC pump with PWM is really quiet at 1200rpm (like mine)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Do you happen to have any sound level #'s for your D5?
The fans im going with are around the 10-15dBa range (very quiet).
3× Noctua NF-S12A FLX
2× Noctua NF-A14 ULN
(fans subject to change if needed)

The D5 PWM does exist, Ill probably go with it and of the several articles I read, all claim the D5 is quieter than the DDC. It would really suck if I spend all this effort trying to get a 15 dBA build and the pump ruins it ya know.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I'm thinking more about the original ask..., the best way to get really quiet build is to run all fans and pump at low rpm. You'll have to make sure you have enough radiator surface area (but not necessarily radiator thickness) to dissipate the heat at those low rpms.

You're looking to have total TDP of 640 watts? (140 + 250 + 250). What are your temperature targets for CPU and GPUs?

If you want everything to be 50c and under like everyone who wc wants, I'm not sure if low rpm + 2x 240 radiators + SFF & quiet mATX case will get you there. Based on your requirements, do you think 70c under load (still way below TjMax) is acceptable?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well please note that reference gtx 1080ti is going up to 295w, while releasing power limit.
Also skylake-x has to be delidded to stay cool..:)

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
I read that article, the 1080TI hit 294.8W after a cold boot, not warmed up, and only maintained that temp for less than 50ms before it settled down to just under the 250W TDP.
I expect the Titan to do something similar if I boot my PC from cold and jump into a high fidelity game immediately. It wont affect my temperatures so I'm not concerned.
280 rad front
240 rap ontop
120 naked/rad on the rear
Hopefully this will be enough to cool stock, non-OC cards under load with the fans I've chosen.

Last edited: